Qusnetsoft Newsreader Help

May 31, 2004 9:05:24 PM

First, I am _really_ excited and looking forward to getting this program
up and running.

But... been working with 2.1.0.2 (from "Tools/About" ...latest ver that
I can find) on an Axim X5 with a Symbol Wifi Card/Config that works
flawlessly with PIE, Inbox, sync, etc, for the past 24 hours trying to
access

msnews.microsoft.com

with zero success

Where can one access the latest version (2.1.0.5 ???) of the program?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

More about : qusnetsoft newsreader

Anonymous
May 31, 2004 9:05:25 PM

In message <uC69Ut1REHA.3708@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, "Beverly Howard
[Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote:

> First, I am _really_ excited and looking forward to getting this program
> up and running.
>
> But... been working with 2.1.0.2 (from "Tools/About" ...latest ver that
> I can find) on an Axim X5 with a Symbol Wifi Card/Config that works
> flawlessly with PIE, Inbox, sync, etc, for the past 24 hours trying to
> access
>
> msnews.microsoft.com
>
> with zero success
>
> Where can one access the latest version (2.1.0.5 ???) of the program?
>
> Any tips would be appreciated.
>
> Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

Bev - I've been getting all my updates from PocketGear and 2.1.0.5 is the
current download (I know because I just dowloaded it!)

I still use Inkspot as my primary, but Dmitri is putting out updates at an
astonishing rate and I suspect I'll be using it as my primary soon.

--
Posted with Ink Spot (for PocketPC) from DejaVu Software, Inc.
Usenet wherever you are - http://www.dejavusoftware.com/

Thanks... just downloaded, installed and ran it, but no joy.

please confirm that the qusnet entry format for this group should be

server -> msnews.microsoft.com

group -> microsoft.public.pocketpc

On connect, the activity light seems to indicate no activity, cancel
button does not respond, sometimes task manager can kill the process,
but sometimes only a soft reset works.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
May 31, 2004 9:35:42 PM

It's not just you Bev. It loads fine on my 4155 and I can specify the
server and group here. I can even pull down the group listings and select a
group. I haven't yet got it to download headers or messages yet though.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
message news:uvXvN%231REHA.1392@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

In message <uvXvN#1REHA.1392@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, "Beverly Howard
[Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote:

> Thanks... just downloaded, installed and ran it, but no joy.
>
> please confirm that the qusnet entry format for this group should be
>
> server -> msnews.microsoft.com
>
> group -> microsoft.public.pocketpc
>
> On connect, the activity light seems to indicate no activity, cancel
> button does not respond, sometimes task manager can kill the process,
> but sometimes only a soft reset works.
>
> Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

Aye, that's the right process and it should work. I use it with both bluetooth
and WiFi on my 2215.

BUT, sometimes (too often still), it just hangs when I try to connect and
I have to soft reset. I'd say the connection works about 80% of the time for
me.

Also, I noticed that the articles aren't matching the headers at all with
the newest version. Anyone else seeing this?

Don
--
Posted with Ink Spot (for PocketPC) from DejaVu Software, Inc.
Usenet wherever you are - http://www.dejavusoftware.com/
Anonymous
May 31, 2004 10:10:49 PM

http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=13869

--
~ Kathleen Anderson
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev] <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote:
> First, I am _really_ excited and looking forward to getting this
> program up and running.
>
> But... been working with 2.1.0.2 (from "Tools/About" ...latest ver
> that I can find) on an Axim X5 with a Symbol Wifi Card/Config that
> works flawlessly with PIE, Inbox, sync, etc, for the past 24 hours
> trying to access
>
> msnews.microsoft.com
>
> with zero success
>
> Where can one access the latest version (2.1.0.5 ???) of the program?
>
> Any tips would be appreciated.

June 1, 2004 11:52:18 AM

> Also, I noticed that the articles aren't matching the headers at all
> with
> the newest version. Anyone else seeing this?

try with 2.1.0.5 it fixed this for me , I also had a lot of blank messages
before

> Don
Anonymous
June 1, 2004 2:57:42 PM

It is working for me with no problem.

The only difference is that instead of using the server msnews.microsoft.com
I have used news.microsoft.com

--
Helio Diamant - MS/MVP Mobile Devices
http://www.pocketpcfreak.com

message news:uvXvN#1REHA.1392@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Thanks... just downloaded, installed and ran it, but no joy.
>
> please confirm that the qusnet entry format for this group should be
>
> server -> msnews.microsoft.com
>
> group -> microsoft.public.pocketpc
>
> On connect, the activity light seems to indicate no activity, cancel
> button does not respond, sometimes task manager can kill the process,
> but sometimes only a soft reset works.

June 1, 2004 3:38:15 PM

How about this one?
http://www.freewareppc.com/communication/qusnetsoftnews...
(Google is your friend) :-)

--

Nikki Casali <nikki@ncSasPali.deAmoMn.co.uk> wrote:
> Kathleen Anderson [MVP - FP] wrote:
>> http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=13869
>>

> Interesting, that link is now dead.
>
> Nikki
Anonymous
June 1, 2004 4:17:28 PM

That one does nothing when the download link is clicked. I presume the
beta testing period has expired! :-(

Nikki

Kathleen Anderson [MVP - FP] wrote:

> How about this one?
> http://www.freewareppc.com/communication/qusnetsoftnews...
> (Google is your friend) :-)

Anonymous
June 1, 2004 4:34:46 PM

Hello,
On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 11:38:14 +0100, Nikki Casali
<nikki@ncSasPali.deAmoMn.co.uk> wrote:

>Kathleen Anderson [MVP - FP] wrote:
>> http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=13869
>>

>Interesting, that link is now dead.

In fact, PocketGear removed it from its database and freewareppc links
to them

The final link has always been something like that :
http://pioneer.convex.ru/~murray/newsreader/Qusnetsoft_...

When you hear about a new version, just try to substitute _2_1_0_5
with the right sequence.
--
Torgamm
http://www.pocketpcfreewares.com

I have tried with both news and msnews, but have yet to have anything
that looks like a successful connect.

Rick... going to do a full uninstall including removing registry entries
before trying ....7

What should I be looking for in the registry and in storage... (just got
a "unable to open database" message(

Beverly Howard
Anonymous
June 2, 2004 2:49:10 AM

this will alive just after couple of hours :)

the newsreader is freeware and will be freeware.

That one does nothing when the download link is clicked. I presume the
beta testing period has expired! :-(

Nikki

Kathleen Anderson [MVP - FP] wrote:

> How about this one?
> http://www.freewareppc.com/communication/qusnetsoftnews...
> (Google is your friend) :-)

Anonymous
June 2, 2004 2:49:33 AM

Qusnetsoft Newsreader 2.1.0.7 available on www.pocketgear.com

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 11:38:14 +0100, Nikki Casali
<nikki@ncSasPali.deAmoMn.co.uk> wrote:

>Kathleen Anderson [MVP - FP] wrote:
>> http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=13869
>>

>Interesting, that link is now dead.

In fact, PocketGear removed it from its database and freewareppc links
to them

The final link has always been something like that :
http://pioneer.convex.ru/~murray/newsreader/Qusnetsoft_...

When you hear about a new version, just try to substitute _2_1_0_5
with the right sequence.
--
Torgamm
http://www.pocketpcfreewares.com
Anonymous
June 2, 2004 2:49:34 AM

Hello,
On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 22:49:33 +0600, Rick Murray <murray@74mail.ru>
wrote:

>Qusnetsoft Newsreader 2.1.0.7 available on www.pocketgear.com

Two versions a day...
The author is too fast for me ;-)
--
Torgamm
http://www.pocketpcfreewares.com
Anonymous
June 2, 2004 11:00:38 AM

hey

no need any uninstall before setup ...7. but if you wish you could remove all these.

inst path \Program Files\NewsReader\
database \My Documents\Groups for old versions and \My Documents\NewsGroups for new.
registry HKCU\Software\NewsReader - old, HKCU\Software\NewsReader2004 - new

I have tried with both news and msnews, but have yet to have anything
that looks like a successful connect.

Rick... going to do a full uninstall including removing registry entries
before trying ....7

What should I be looking for in the registry and in storage... (just got
a "unable to open database" message(

Beverly Howard
Anonymous
June 2, 2004 3:51:11 PM

Strange... I was connecting very well with one of the first versions...
upgraded to the version released yesterday and now I can't connect
anymore... have an "Error Group Selecting:" message....

--

"Rick Murray" <murray@74mail.ru> wrote in message
> hey
>
> no need any uninstall before setup ...7. but if you wish you could remove
all these.

> inst path \Program Files\NewsReader\
> database \My Documents\Groups for old versions and \My
Documents\NewsGroups for new.
> registry HKCU\Software\NewsReader - old, HKCU\Software\NewsReader2004 -
new

Anonymous
June 2, 2004 7:32:37 PM

hey

its maybe mistake in group name. just recreate group database.

"Helio Diamant - MS/MVP, Mobile Devices" <helio@nospam.pocketpcfreak.com>
wrote in message news:ePPPG6HSEHA.644@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Strange... I was connecting very well with one of the first versions...
> upgraded to the version released yesterday and now I can't connect
> anymore... have an "Error Group Selecting:" message....
>
> --
> Helio Diamant - MS/MVP Mobile Devices
> http://www.pocketpcfreak.com
>

> "Rick Murray" <murray@74mail.ru> wrote in message
> > hey
> >
> > no need any uninstall before setup ...7. but if you wish you could
remove
> all these.
> >
> > inst path \Program Files\NewsReader\
> > database \My Documents\Groups for old versions and \My
> Documents\NewsGroups for new.
> > registry HKCU\Software\NewsReader - old, HKCU\Software\NewsReader2004 -
> new

Anonymous
June 2, 2004 7:32:38 PM

Did more than that... uninstalled, deleted the libraries and the regkeys as
you pointed out to Bev, and re-installed... same message....

--

news:o O64%23RISEHA.3052@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> hey
>
> its maybe mistake in group name. just recreate group database.
>
> "Helio Diamant - MS/MVP, Mobile Devices" <helio@nospam.pocketpcfreak.com>
> wrote in message news:ePPPG6HSEHA.644@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > Strange... I was connecting very well with one of the first versions...
> > upgraded to the version released yesterday and now I can't connect
> > anymore... have an "Error Group Selecting:" message....
> >
> > --
> > Helio Diamant - MS/MVP Mobile Devices
> > http://www.pocketpcfreak.com
> >

> > "Rick Murray" <murray@74mail.ru> wrote in message
> > > hey
> > >
> > > no need any uninstall before setup ...7. but if you wish you could
> remove
> > all these.
> > >
> > > inst path \Program Files\NewsReader\
> > > database \My Documents\Groups for old versions and \My
> > Documents\NewsGroups for new.
> > > registry HKCU\Software\NewsReader - old,
HKCU\Software\NewsReader2004 -
> > new

Anonymous
June 2, 2004 8:15:25 PM

Many thanks for the detailed information on data/reg locations... very
helpful.

>> http://pioneer.convex.ru/~murray/newsreader/

Went to the above url and found both the cabs and info on the current
version.

The page is also very helpful despite the fact that I know very little
Russian.

Will report back.

Beverly Howard
Anonymous
June 3, 2004 6:00:44 PM

Finally... my first connect!

fwiw, here's what I needed to do;

uninstalled using "remove programs"

deleted \MyDocuments\Newsgroups folder (There was no "Groups" folder)

deleted HKCU\Software\NewsReader2004 key (There was no "NewsReader" key)

re-installed 2.1.0.7

Responded to "first screen" with;

server msnews.microsoft.com

group microsoft.public.pocketpc

tapped "OK"

tapped "sync headers" icon

===========

I knew immediately that whatever had been creating the problem had been
corrected because the "thermometer" showed "blue" and indicated
progress. (thermometer had never before shown activity)

breathed a long "sigh of relief!"

Since I had previously uninstalled, deleted the folders and reinstalled
without success, have to assume that there was something in the reg key
that was incorrect or out of place (sorry, but I didn't think to export
them before deleting)

My guess is that on the initial install I either did something out of
sequence or I typo'd an entry that stuck in the key and prevented
subsequent entries from providing correct connection information, so the
news is that if you cannot connect after install on a system that has a
"known good" internet connection, a registry editor is probably going to
be needed to get the reader up and running.

Hope this helps others who have had connect problems.

This is a very important tool for those of us who participate here and
need to participate when mobile, so I can't describe how great it felt
to see the first download happen!

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
June 3, 2004 8:00:07 PM

I am happy for you, wish I could get mine to work--- it downloads groups , but that is it...seems like I am just missing something small. <sigh>

Geek

-------------------------------
Posted by PPCNewz
Anonymous
June 4, 2004 12:14:53 AM

Welcome to the club! :)

Rob
<Posted with Qusnetsoft>

..: www.geektopic.com :.

[...]

June 4, 2004 3:19:49 PM

I got on on the first try with this build on my Dell X30/624. Groups look great in landscape mode.

Don't Panic!
Bobby

deleted \MyDocuments\Newsgroups folder (There was no "Groups" folder)

deleted HKCU\Software\NewsReader2004 key (There was no "NewsReader" key)

re-installed 2.1.0.7

Responded to "first screen" with;

server msnews.microsoft.com

group microsoft.public.pocketpc
June 4, 2004 11:29:52 PM

Got mine to work too!
I am using 2.1.0.7
I wrote and sent this reply using it!
I am connecting to this group using server msnews.microsoft.com

I got on on the first try with this build on my Dell X30/624. Groups look great in landscape mode.

Don't Panic!
Bobby

deleted \MyDocuments\Newsgroups folder (There was no "Groups" folder)

deleted HKCU\Software\NewsReader2004 key (There was no "NewsReader" key)

re-installed 2.1.0.7

Responded to "first screen" with;

server msnews.microsoft.com

group microsoft.public.pocketpc
June 8, 2004 12:35:31 AM

How do you delete read messages with Quesnetsoft Newsreader?

Reply to message from RD100 <rd100_online@yahoo.com> (Fri, 04 Jun 2004 22:29:52) about "Re: Success!":

Bye
kengory <kengory@gmail.com>
Mon, 07 Jun 2004 20:32:19 -0400

I am connecting to this group using server msnews.microsoft.com

I got on on the first try with this build on my Dell X30/624. Groups look great in landscape mode.

Don't Panic!
Bobby

deleted \MyDocuments\Newsgroups folder (There was no "Groups" folder)

deleted HKCU\Software\NewsReader2004 key (There was no "NewsReader" key)

re-installed 2.1.0.7

Responded to "first screen" with;

server msnews.microsoft.com

group microsoft.public.pocketpc
June 30, 2004 12:05:24 AM

June 30, 2004 1:14:07 AM

The Subject © wrote:

> I just downloaded the Qusnetsoft and no problem with msnews. However
> can this program be used with newsgroup servers that require a log in
> and password? If so how do I load the information?
>
> Thanks,
> TS

The format for the server is login:p assword@news.mydomain.com when the
server requires authentication. For example, if your login is "thesubject",
and your password is "summer", and the news server is "msnews.micro.com",
you would specify: thesubject:summer@msnews.micro.com for the NNTP server.
July 1, 2004 2:55:22 AM

July 1, 2004 2:55:23 AM

If it's your regular provider, it may not be necessary to use your login
information. If you haven't done so, just list your provider's NNTP server
without the login information and try to synchronize.

"Brian" <nope@not_real.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 1, 2004 9:37:22 PM

In message <uxHEc.1692$_S1.1500@newssvr25.news.prodigy.com>, Brian
<nope@not_real.com> writes
>I tried it on my provider, which is Individual.net and no luck. It
>would not connect. I am placing the line you list
>"thesubject:summer@msnews.micro.com" in the news server area. Of
>course I am correcting it so it has my correct password and so on.
>Any ideas why it is not connecting?
>
>TS

I am using version 2.2.0.1 with News.Individual.NET and it works OK
using the name:p assword@host syntax.
--
Martin Goose "Engineering is the art of modelling materials we do not wholly
understand, into shapes we cannot precisely analyse, so as to withstand forces