NetMeeting and the Router!!

matrix

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2003

OK, I need to call into another computer that is running XP Home. I have Pro.
Remote desktop is a no-go, tried winVNC without luck and am now back to
trying NetMeeting. For some reason, it is not allowing me to connect ( or
vise-versa ) to the computer and I suspect it is my router.

I have a Linksys WRT54GS (the wired/wireless version) that is hard wired to
my desktop comp. DSL connection, mIRC type progys run fine. I think I have
the correct port open (1503), but still no luck. I really need to get hooked
up to this computer to fix a software issue.

Do I need to have something set up in port triggering? I tried to goto
http://www.canyouseeme.org to test the ports, but it can't even see port 80
with DMZ turned on!! Am I missing something?

Any Help would be...helpfull!! =)

Thanks in advance!

From VNC (any flavor) you need to forward TCP Port 5900... For NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing you
need to forward TCP Port 1503... In order for the Canyouseeme.org test to be successful you need
to...

1. Make sure the program, ie. VNC for example is running on the server/host PC.
2. Make sure port forwarding is setup correctly and that your using a static IP on the server/host
PC.
3. You run the Canyouseeme.org test from the PC that is the server/host.

Keep in mind WinVNC appears to be the old RealVNC... You might try UltraVNC with its encryption
plug-in if your using this over the public internet...

http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/

For help with Remote Desktop Sharing see this KB article...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;233175

In all cases you call the public WAN IP of the router...

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Matrix" <Matrix@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> OK, I need to call into another computer that is running XP Home. I have Pro.
> Remote desktop is a no-go, tried winVNC without luck and am now back to
> trying NetMeeting. For some reason, it is not allowing me to connect ( or
> vise-versa ) to the computer and I suspect it is my router.
>
> I have a Linksys WRT54GS (the wired/wireless version) that is hard wired to
> my desktop comp. DSL connection, mIRC type progys run fine. I think I have
> the correct port open (1503), but still no luck. I really need to get hooked
> up to this computer to fix a software issue.
>
> Do I need to have something set up in port triggering? I tried to goto
> http://www.canyouseeme.org to test the ports, but it can't even see port 80
> with DMZ turned on!! Am I missing something?
>
> Any Help would be...helpfull!! =)
>
> Thanks in advance!

matrix

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2003

Thanks for the reply Al.

Unfortunatly, that hasn't worked either. I even tried UltraVNC without any
luck. I even tried it with a port range of 5800-5999. Tired it with DMZ
enabled. Nothing. Any other ideas?

"Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

> From VNC (any flavor) you need to forward TCP Port 5900... For NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing you
> need to forward TCP Port 1503... In order for the Canyouseeme.org test to be successful you need
> to...
>
> 1. Make sure the program, ie. VNC for example is running on the server/host PC.
> 2. Make sure port forwarding is setup correctly and that your using a static IP on the server/host
> PC.
> 3. You run the Canyouseeme.org test from the PC that is the server/host.
>
> Keep in mind WinVNC appears to be the old RealVNC... You might try UltraVNC with its encryption
> plug-in if your using this over the public internet...
>
> http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/
>
> For help with Remote Desktop Sharing see this KB article...
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;233175
>
> In all cases you call the public WAN IP of the router...
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> "Matrix" <Matrix@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > OK, I need to call into another computer that is running XP Home. I have Pro.
> > Remote desktop is a no-go, tried winVNC without luck and am now back to
> > trying NetMeeting. For some reason, it is not allowing me to connect ( or
> > vise-versa ) to the computer and I suspect it is my router.
> >
> > I have a Linksys WRT54GS (the wired/wireless version) that is hard wired to
> > my desktop comp. DSL connection, mIRC type progys run fine. I think I have
> > the correct port open (1503), but still no luck. I really need to get hooked
> > up to this computer to fix a software issue.
> >
> > Do I need to have something set up in port triggering? I tried to goto
> > http://www.canyouseeme.org to test the ports, but it can't even see port 80
> > with DMZ turned on!! Am I missing something?
> >
> > Any Help would be...helpfull!! =)
> >
> > Thanks in advance!

Well, if you can't get port forwarding working through the router you pretty much out of luck. Are
you running the latest firmware in the router? I have had problems in the past with some routers
that are fixed by doing a reset back to the factory default conditions...specifically my old BEFSR41
last week. I installed it at my sister-in-laws home and could not get a connection for UltraVNC to
work. Doing the old factory reset solved the problem...

Its also possible reflashing the firmware with the same version may fix the problem...

You might consider going over to the Broadband Reports.com "Linksys" forums for possible help, since
it sounds like a router issue...

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/linksys

--

> Thanks for the reply Al.
>
> Unfortunatly, that hasn't worked either. I even tried UltraVNC without any
> luck. I even tried it with a port range of 5800-5999. Tired it with DMZ
> enabled. Nothing. Any other ideas?
>
> "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> From VNC (any flavor) you need to forward TCP Port 5900... For NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing
>> you
>> need to forward TCP Port 1503... In order for the Canyouseeme.org test to be successful you need
>> to...
>>
>> 1. Make sure the program, ie. VNC for example is running on the server/host PC.
>> 2. Make sure port forwarding is setup correctly and that your using a static IP on the
>> server/host
>> PC.
>> 3. You run the Canyouseeme.org test from the PC that is the server/host.
>>
>> Keep in mind WinVNC appears to be the old RealVNC... You might try UltraVNC with its encryption
>> plug-in if your using this over the public internet...
>>
>> http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/
>>
>> For help with Remote Desktop Sharing see this KB article...
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;233175
>>
>> In all cases you call the public WAN IP of the router...
>>
>> --
>>
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

>> "Matrix" <Matrix@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > OK, I need to call into another computer that is running XP Home. I have Pro.
>> > Remote desktop is a no-go, tried winVNC without luck and am now back to
>> > trying NetMeeting. For some reason, it is not allowing me to connect ( or
>> > vise-versa ) to the computer and I suspect it is my router.
>> >
>> > I have a Linksys WRT54GS (the wired/wireless version) that is hard wired to
>> > my desktop comp. DSL connection, mIRC type progys run fine. I think I have
>> > the correct port open (1503), but still no luck. I really need to get hooked
>> > up to this computer to fix a software issue.
>> >
>> > Do I need to have something set up in port triggering? I tried to goto
>> > http://www.canyouseeme.org to test the ports, but it can't even see port 80
>> > with DMZ turned on!! Am I missing something?
>> >
>> > Any Help would be...helpfull!! =)
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance!

matrix

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2003

Thanks again Al. I will give that a shot as well. Will let you know what
happens.