Custom title screen resolution?

I'm trying to make a title screen (still menu) for an SVCD. According
to the website www.vcdhelp.com, the resolution for SVCD "extras" can be
as high as 704X480.

Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to follow the 4:3 aspect ratio of most
TVs. I've tried both 704X480 and 640X480, and on both instances the
title screen doesn't properly fit into the TV screen. I'm using NERO
to make these SVCDs.

What is the standard resolution for making menus in SVCDs?

opticreep@yahoo.com wrote:

> I'm trying to make a title screen (still menu) for an SVCD. According
> to the website www.vcdhelp.com, the resolution for SVCD "extras" can
> be as high as 704X480.

That's correct.

> Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to follow the 4:3 aspect ratio of
> most TVs.

That's because the pixels in this format are not square. See
<http://www.iki.fi/znark/video/conversion/> for more details.

> I've tried both 704X480 and 640X480, and on both instances
> the title screen doesn't properly fit into the TV screen.

Title not fitting the screen is a whole another problem called
"overscan". See, for example <http://scanline.ca/overscan/>.

> I'm using NERO to make these SVCDs.

I'm not sure if Nero supports high-resolution VCD/SVCD stills (hopefully
it does!)

> What is the standard resolution for making menus in SVCDs?

704×480 or 480×480 for "NTSC" SVCDs. Both will fill up the entire
screen, the latter just has less resolution and differently shaped
pixels.

--
znark