Remote Desktop XP / SP2

I found the reason, why after installing SP2 the Remote Desktop don't work
:-)

The problem is the termsrv.dll which comes with SP2. After installing SP2
you can't connect to this machine via remote desktop.

If you replace the termsrv.dll with the version, which comes with SP1 it
works again :-)

Any comment ???

Best regards

Hajo
5 answers Last reply
More about remote desktop

    Hajo Barth wrote:
    > I found the reason, why after installing SP2 the Remote Desktop don't
    > work :-)
    >
    > The problem is the termsrv.dll which comes with SP2. After installing
    > SP2 you can't connect to this machine via remote desktop.
    >
    > If you replace the termsrv.dll with the version, which comes with SP1
    > it works again :-)
    >
    > Any comment ???

    Something was wrong with your particular copy - as most people can still
    connect to remote desktop after updating to SP2.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    I can't believe it ... the www is full of comment about problems to connect
    via remote desktop after installing SP2. But it is possible, that only
    computer, which are in a domain (not workgroup) have this problem ...

    Hajo Barth wrote:
    > I can't believe it ... the www is full of comment about problems to
    > connect via remote desktop after installing SP2. But it is possible,
    > that only computer, which are in a domain (not workgroup) have this
    > problem ...

    I am associated with quite a few different domains (production) as well as
    many stand-alone machines. I have had no trouble (personally) with Remote
    Desktop that was not solved by proper firewall/router configurations and/or
    user/group membership/password settings as of yet.

    I have even tested out replacing the dll with SP2 beta versions of the file
    with success (allowing multiple remote desktop connections at one time.)
    Other than that test, I have had no need to do anything but properly
    configure the PC/group policies/user & group membership and/or assigning
    passwords.

    Again - your situation (replacing the dll file with an older version) should
    not be necessary and only goes to prove that something is awry with your
    particular configuration. It is not the norm, in other words.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    Hello,

    "Hajo Barth" <Hajo@Hajo-Barth.com> wrote in message
    >I found the reason, why after installing SP2 the Remote Desktop don't work
    >:-)
    >
    > The problem is the termsrv.dll which comes with SP2. After installing SP2
    > you can't connect to this machine via remote desktop.
    >
    > If you replace the termsrv.dll with the version, which comes with SP1 it
    > works again :-)
    >
    > Any comment ???

    Nothing useful from me ...

    I also had one computer with such problem and solve it as you suggest.

    I also installed another XP.SP2 (dual boot) on same machine and
    in that install RD works OK.

    There must be something wrong in registry settings. Unfortunatelly
    RDP protocol depends on so many services/settings that is almost
    impossible to solve the problem. Take a look here for example:
    (message number 6)

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.win2000.general/browse_frm/thread/47a5c3c54ef0ae7c/

    and

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.protocols.rdp/browse_frm/thread/71e2d12595587fa2/

    I tried every possible suggestion (except reinstall the OS - I mean,
    I don't rebuild the entire house if there is something wrong with the roof -
    termsrv.dll from SP1 works stable for me) that I've found on net - but
    no success.

    I have several machines with SP2 applied to freshly installed XP.SP1
    and all work OK. The only problem is that particular PC that used to
    be XP then serviced to SP1 and after that serviced to SP2.

    BTW, I think that MS should produce (since they are the only one that
    can do it) small tool called let's say "Remote Desktop Test & Repair
    Utility" ;)
    that would check all setting regarding RDP protocol, explain
    possible problems and try to correct them. RDP is not very
    well documented (IMHO).

    Well, these are my comments.

    Best regards,
    Roman Modic

    No more comments ? :(

    "Hajo Barth" <Hajo@Hajo-Barth.com> wrote in message
    >I found the reason, why after installing SP2 the Remote Desktop don't work
    >:-)
    >
    > The problem is the termsrv.dll which comes with SP2. After installing SP2
    > you can't connect to this machine via remote desktop.
    >
    > If you replace the termsrv.dll with the version, which comes with SP1 it
    > works again :-)
    >
    > Any comment ???
    >
    > Best regards
    >
    > Hajo