Looking for a budget camcorder for home video

Shivani

I'm looking for a basic camcorder for less than 600$. I need it for
home-video and my requirements are very basic:

- Should have a good zoom

- Video quality should be sharp

- Good video quality under low light (Indoor and night video)

I already have a digital camera so I don't need the camcorder to be
good at taking still pictures.

I'm inclined towards SONY HC30 and the 3CCD panasonic camcorder. Any
other suggestions? ANy other models?

"Shivani" wrote ...
> I'm looking for a basic camcorder for less than 600$. I need it for
> home-video and my requirements are very basic:
> - Should have a good zoom

What do you consider a "good zoom"?? 5 to 1, 10 to 1, 20 to 1 ???? And
what part does actual focal length play in your decision? A 10 to 1 zoom
can be short telephoto to long telephoto, or normal to tele, or wide angle
to tele. In my opionion the zooms on most consumer camcorders could stand
having a wider "wide angle" setting, but most folks seem fixated on how much
telephoto they can get.

> - Video quality should be sharp

Again, what do you consider "sharp"? That's like asking "I want to buy a
car that will go fast"

--
Richard Amirault N1JDU
Boston, MA, USA Go Fly A Kite

One might generally expect a 3CCD camcorder to have a better picture than a
single CCD camcorder. I have several single CCD one's here, all different
makes and models Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, etc. and the picture is fine
considering, again they are single CCD. All our 3CCD camcorder's - Sony,
Canon and Panasonic have a better picture quality. Personally I was glad to
see Panasonic bring out a few 3CCD models with lower prices.

"Shivani" <shivanishah_2004@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm looking for a basic camcorder for less than 600$. I need it for
> home-video and my requirements are very basic:
>

> - Should have a good zoom
>

> - Video quality should be sharp
>

> - Good video quality under low light (Indoor and night video)
>

> I already have a digital camera so I don't need the camcorder to be
> good at taking still pictures.
>
> I'm inclined towards SONY HC30 and the 3CCD panasonic camcorder. Any
> other suggestions? ANy other models?

Rich

Shivani wrote:
> I'm looking for a basic camcorder for less than 600$. I need it for
> home-video and my requirements are very basic:
>

> - Should have a good zoom
>

> - Video quality should be sharp
>

> - Good video quality under low light (Indoor and night video)
>

> I already have a digital camera so I don't need the camcorder to be
> good at taking still pictures.
>
> I'm inclined towards SONY HC30 and the 3CCD panasonic camcorder. Any
> other suggestions? ANy other models?

I wouldn't touch a Panasonic Camcorder with a bargepole. I would be
concerned about any 3 chip camcorder that costs less than $600.

For home video stuff get the best 1 chip camcorder you can, aim for Sony
or JVC models.