video import into adobe premiere 1.5

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Hi,

since I had no firewire available on one system, I captured the video from
my Sony Digital 8 Cam (DCR-TR7000E/PAL) with M$ MovieMaker on one system,
and then transferred the files to the system where I have premiere
installed. Now I have the problem that I cannot open the files in premiere,
I get the message that premiere detected an error here :

[\dev\starsky\MediaLayer\Src\Audio\AudioPreviewFile.cpp-301]

anyone knows a solution how I can easily and lossless get the video(s) into
premiere ?
20 answers Last reply
More about video import adobe premiere
  1. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    recapture with premiere.


    "Dennis Lubert" <plasmahh@tzi.de> wrote in message
    news:d2rdos$t5d$1@kohl.informatik.uni-bremen.de...
    > Hi,
    >
    > since I had no firewire available on one system, I captured the video from
    > my Sony Digital 8 Cam (DCR-TR7000E/PAL) with M$ MovieMaker on one system,
    > and then transferred the files to the system where I have premiere
    > installed. Now I have the problem that I cannot open the files in
    > premiere,
    > I get the message that premiere detected an error here :
    >
    > [\dev\starsky\MediaLayer\Src\Audio\AudioPreviewFile.cpp-301]
    >
    > anyone knows a solution how I can easily and lossless get the video(s)
    > into
    > premiere ?
  2. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    nap wrote:

    > recapture with premiere.
    >
    not possible, source tapes are gone

    >
    > "Dennis Lubert" <plasmahh@tzi.de> wrote in message
    > news:d2rdos$t5d$1@kohl.informatik.uni-bremen.de...
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> since I had no firewire available on one system, I captured the video
    >> from my Sony Digital 8 Cam (DCR-TR7000E/PAL) with M$ MovieMaker on one
    >> system, and then transferred the files to the system where I have
    >> premiere installed. Now I have the problem that I cannot open the files
    >> in premiere,
    >> I get the message that premiere detected an error here :
    >>
    >> [\dev\starsky\MediaLayer\Src\Audio\AudioPreviewFile.cpp-301]
    >>
    >> anyone knows a solution how I can easily and lossless get the video(s)
    >> into
    >> premiere ?
  3. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    "Dennis Lubert" <plasmahh@tzi.de> wrote in message
    news:d2rdos$t5d$1@kohl.informatik.uni-bremen.de...
    > Hi,
    >
    > since I had no firewire available on one system, I captured the video from
    > my Sony Digital 8 Cam (DCR-TR7000E/PAL) with M$ MovieMaker on one system,
    > and then transferred the files to the system where I have premiere
    > installed. Now I have the problem that I cannot open the files in
    > premiere,
    > I get the message that premiere detected an error here :
    >
    > [\dev\starsky\MediaLayer\Src\Audio\AudioPreviewFile.cpp-301]
    >
    > anyone knows a solution how I can easily and lossless get the video(s)
    > into
    > premiere ?

    Are your captured files DV type 1 or 2?? Make sure your setting in Premiere
    are the same for the DV type you are capturing.

    Mike
  4. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    Mike Alpha wrote:

    >
    > "Dennis Lubert" <plasmahh@tzi.de> wrote in message
    > news:d2rdos$t5d$1@kohl.informatik.uni-bremen.de...
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> since I had no firewire available on one system, I captured the video
    >> from my Sony Digital 8 Cam (DCR-TR7000E/PAL) with M$ MovieMaker on one
    >> system, and then transferred the files to the system where I have
    >> premiere installed. Now I have the problem that I cannot open the files
    >> in premiere,
    >> I get the message that premiere detected an error here :
    >>
    >> [\dev\starsky\MediaLayer\Src\Audio\AudioPreviewFile.cpp-301]
    >>
    >> anyone knows a solution how I can easily and lossless get the video(s)
    >> into
    >> premiere ?
    >
    > Are your captured files DV type 1 or 2?? Make sure your setting in
    > Premiere are the same for the DV type you are capturing.
    >
    Since the cam is rather old I assume its type 1. How can I change the
    settings on how premiere imports the files ? in the import dialog I dont
    see any options, and in the common options I dont see any options about
    DV import...

    greets

    Dennis
  5. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    Dennis Lubert wrote:
    > Mike Alpha wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> "Dennis Lubert" <plasmahh@tzi.de> wrote in message
    >> news:d2rdos$t5d$1@kohl.informatik.uni-bremen.de...
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> since I had no firewire available on one system, I captured the
    >>> video from my Sony Digital 8 Cam (DCR-TR7000E/PAL) with M$
    >>> MovieMaker on one system, and then transferred the files to the
    >>> system where I have premiere installed. Now I have the problem that
    >>> I cannot open the files in premiere,
    >>> I get the message that premiere detected an error here :
    >>>
    >>> [\dev\starsky\MediaLayer\Src\Audio\AudioPreviewFile.cpp-301]
    >>>
    >>> anyone knows a solution how I can easily and lossless get the
    >>> video(s) into
    >>> premiere ?
    >>
    >> Are your captured files DV type 1 or 2?? Make sure your setting in
    >> Premiere are the same for the DV type you are capturing.
    >>
    > Since the cam is rather old I assume its type 1. How can I change the
    > settings on how premiere imports the files ? in the import dialog I
    > dont see any options, and in the common options I dont see any
    > options about DV import...
    >
    > greets
    >
    > Dennis


    Give the Canopus DV File Converter a try.
    It's at http://tinyurl.com/6hmaa

    Mike
  6. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    Mike Kujbida wrote:

    > Dennis Lubert wrote:
    >> Mike Alpha wrote:
    >>
    >> Since the cam is rather old I assume its type 1. How can I change the
    >> settings on how premiere imports the files ? in the import dialog I
    >> dont see any options, and in the common options I dont see any
    >> options about DV import...
    >>
    >> greets
    >>
    >> Dennis
    >
    >
    > Give the Canopus DV File Converter a try.
    > It's at http://tinyurl.com/6hmaa

    Ok, its converting, but it says it needs 19 hours per 4GB file (and I have
    ~28GB of video data)... I think in this case its faster to save all the
    single clips from M$ moviemaker, so I can have them as single files. Maybe
    there is a tool that uses the embedded clip & time information to make this
    automatically (and faster than in 130 hours) ?
    >
    > Mike
  7. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    I seem to remember the Canopus convertor making only Canopus codec type
    files.. Have you played any of these in Premiere yet?
    "Dennis Lubert" <plasmahh@tzi.de> wrote in message
    news:d2u01s$1qn$1@kohl.informatik.uni-bremen.de...
    > Mike Kujbida wrote:
    >
    >> Dennis Lubert wrote:
    >>> Mike Alpha wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Since the cam is rather old I assume its type 1. How can I change the
    >>> settings on how premiere imports the files ? in the import dialog I
    >>> dont see any options, and in the common options I dont see any
    >>> options about DV import...
    >>>
    >>> greets
    >>>
    >>> Dennis
    >>
    >>
    >> Give the Canopus DV File Converter a try.
    >> It's at http://tinyurl.com/6hmaa
    >
    > Ok, its converting, but it says it needs 19 hours per 4GB file (and I have
    > ~28GB of video data)... I think in this case its faster to save all the
    > single clips from M$ moviemaker, so I can have them as single files. Maybe
    > there is a tool that uses the embedded clip & time information to make
    > this
    > automatically (and faster than in 130 hours) ?
    >>
    >> Mike
    >
  8. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    No, its taking ages about 1minute per megabyte now, I think I should abort
    and manually copy from M$ Movie Maker...
    The Program shows options to convert to M$ DV-AVI2 files, and canopus files
    take the same time to create though...
    nap wrote:

    > I seem to remember the Canopus convertor making only Canopus codec type
    > files.. Have you played any of these in Premiere yet?
    > "Dennis Lubert" <plasmahh@tzi.de> wrote in message
    > news:d2u01s$1qn$1@kohl.informatik.uni-bremen.de...
    >> Mike Kujbida wrote:
    >>
    >> Ok, its converting, but it says it needs 19 hours per 4GB file (and I
    >> have ~28GB of video data)... I think in this case its faster to save all
    >> the single clips from M$ moviemaker, so I can have them as single files.
    >> Maybe there is a tool that uses the embedded clip & time information to
    >> make this
    >> automatically (and faster than in 130 hours) ?
    >>>
    >>> Mike
    >>
  9. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    "Dennis Lubert" <plasmahh@tzi.de> wrote in message
    news:d2u856$4sm$1@kohl.informatik.uni-bremen.de...
    >
    > No, its taking ages about 1minute per megabyte now, I think I should abort
    > and manually copy from M$ Movie Maker...
    > The Program shows options to convert to M$ DV-AVI2 files, and canopus
    > files
    > take the same time to create though...

    yucchhh.. that's certainly no fun.


    >> I seem to remember the Canopus convertor making only Canopus codec type
    >> files.. Have you played any of these in Premiere yet?
    >> "Dennis Lubert" <plasmahh@tzi.de> wrote in message
    >> news:d2u01s$1qn$1@kohl.informatik.uni-bremen.de...
    >>> Mike Kujbida wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Ok, its converting, but it says it needs 19 hours per 4GB file (and I
    >>> have ~28GB of video data)... I think in this case its faster to save all
    >>> the single clips from M$ moviemaker, so I can have them as single files.
    >>> Maybe there is a tool that uses the embedded clip & time information to
    >>> make this
    >>> automatically (and faster than in 130 hours) ?
    >>>>
    >>>> Mike
    >>>
    >
  10. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    "Dennis Lubert" <plasmahh@tzi.de> wrote in message
    news:d2rrgk$52s$2@kohl.informatik.uni-bremen.de...
    > Mike Alpha wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> "Dennis Lubert" <plasmahh@tzi.de> wrote in message
    >> news:d2rdos$t5d$1@kohl.informatik.uni-bremen.de...
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> since I had no firewire available on one system, I captured the video
    >>> from my Sony Digital 8 Cam (DCR-TR7000E/PAL) with M$ MovieMaker on one
    >>> system, and then transferred the files to the system where I have
    >>> premiere installed. Now I have the problem that I cannot open the files
    >>> in premiere,
    >>> I get the message that premiere detected an error here :
    >>>
    >>> [\dev\starsky\MediaLayer\Src\Audio\AudioPreviewFile.cpp-301]
    >>>
    >>> anyone knows a solution how I can easily and lossless get the video(s)
    >>> into
    >>> premiere ?
    >>
    >> Are your captured files DV type 1 or 2?? Make sure your setting in
    >> Premiere are the same for the DV type you are capturing.
    >>
    > Since the cam is rather old I assume its type 1. How can I change the
    > settings on how premiere imports the files ? in the import dialog I dont
    > see any options, and in the common options I dont see any options about
    > DV import...
    >
    > greets
    >
    > Dennis
    >
    >
    The age of a camera has nothing to do with the type of DV files captured in
    Windows Movie Maker, or any other capture program. The user can identify his
    DV file type by looking at the result of the captures. Type 1 creates a
    combined audio/video stream, i.e. audio is included with video. Type 2
    creates separate audio and video, i.e. you get an audio WAV file and a video
    AVI file - the Matrox RT cards capture in this manner. The Canopus cards
    capture Type 1. Microsoft Windows Movie Maker captures Type 1 using the
    Microsoft DV Codec.

    If the user wishes to import these into Premiere (whatever version
    supporting DV codecs) start a new project and pick custom setting just to
    make sure everything is right. Choose General Settings for Microsoft DV
    AVI - using the Microsoft DV Codec across the board - 720x480 D1/DV pixel
    0.9 48kHz (or 32kHz depending of captured video settings) for audio.
    29.97fps drop frame timecode. If the user selected to capture DV-AVI using
    Movie Maker on one machine, there is no apparent reason why the video could
    not be imported into Premiere 5.1, 6, 6.5 or Pro.
  11. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    The Canopus DV File Converter will only convert Microsoft DV AVI to Canopus
    DV AVI and vice-versa. You are wasting your time attempting it.

    Please, provide the following information on the video files you have.

    Right click on one of the and choose Properties. Choose the Summary tab.
    This gives you the frame resolution, audio settings, duration, frame rate
    (which will be listed as 29 rather than 29.97 or 30 - so don't worry about
    that). You will also find the video sample size (24bit) and the video
    compression (codec) listed.

    When you start premiere you can choose DV 1394 48kHz audio NTSC which will
    most likely load the Microsoft DV Codec, etc. Or, you can choose Custom and
    match the settings listed in that Summary of the file to be absolutely sure
    the files will import into Premiere.

    There was some trepidation over DV file types in an earlier post. Type 1 is
    audio and video in a single file, Type 2 is audio and video in separate
    files (WAV & AVI). Whenever video is captured in Type 2 there is usually a
    link in the video header which tells the program to bring in the audio at
    the same time.

    If this is the type of files you have and the video will import, even though
    there is an error upon loading, place this video on the timeline and then
    import the audio file as well. Place it on the timeline under the video
    track and it should sync up. You can check the match by placing the timeline
    cursor at the end of the video, change the timeline increment to single
    frame and see if they end at the same spot. Do the same at the beginning of
    the clip. Once the first clip is sync'd this way placing the video with audo
    next to each one in succession should keep it all in line properly.

    All in all the solution to the problem you are having is right there in that
    summary and the setting you are using whenever you start Premiere.


    "Dennis Lubert" <plasmahh@tzi.de> wrote in message
    news:d2u856$4sm$1@kohl.informatik.uni-bremen.de...
    >
    > No, its taking ages about 1minute per megabyte now, I think I should abort
    > and manually copy from M$ Movie Maker...
    > The Program shows options to convert to M$ DV-AVI2 files, and canopus
    > files
    > take the same time to create though...
    > nap wrote:
    >
    >> I seem to remember the Canopus convertor making only Canopus codec type
    >> files.. Have you played any of these in Premiere yet?
    >> "Dennis Lubert" <plasmahh@tzi.de> wrote in message
    >> news:d2u01s$1qn$1@kohl.informatik.uni-bremen.de...
    >>> Mike Kujbida wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Ok, its converting, but it says it needs 19 hours per 4GB file (and I
    >>> have ~28GB of video data)... I think in this case its faster to save all
    >>> the single clips from M$ moviemaker, so I can have them as single files.
    >>> Maybe there is a tool that uses the embedded clip & time information to
    >>> make this
    >>> automatically (and faster than in 130 hours) ?
    >>>>
    >>>> Mike
    >>>
    >
  12. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    Digital Video Solutions wrote:

    > The Canopus DV File Converter will only convert Microsoft DV AVI to
    > Canopus DV AVI and vice-versa. You are wasting your time attempting it.
    >
    > Please, provide the following information on the video files you have.
    >
    > Right click on one of the and choose Properties. Choose the Summary tab.
    > This gives you the frame resolution, audio settings, duration, frame rate
    > (which will be listed as 29 rather than 29.97 or 30 - so don't worry about
    > that). You will also find the video sample size (24bit) and the video
    > compression (codec) listed.

    Well I have a german version so I assume you mean the "file info" tab in
    properties of the file (in windows xp explorer)... the only thing listed
    there is the length of the file (e.g. 00:19:49)

    >
    > When you start premiere you can choose DV 1394 48kHz audio NTSC which will
    > most likely load the Microsoft DV Codec, etc. Or, you can choose Custom
    > and match the settings listed in that Summary of the file to be absolutely
    > sure the files will import into Premiere.

    Where can I choose it ? When I start up I can choose to create a new project
    or choose another project (my current one).
    Or do you mean when starting a new project ? Then I have choosed "DV - PAL"
    "Standard 48kHz"...

    When I save a piece of the file wit M$ movie maker I can import the piece
    fine (although it seems that the file type is the same).
    The strange thing with the "Canopus DV File Converter" is that it now looks
    like it stops right after the first "subclip" (or whatever you call it),
    and the file produced is nearly the same as when I save it with M$ Movie
    maker.
    >
    > There was some trepidation over DV file types in an earlier post. Type 1
    > is audio and video in a single file, Type 2 is audio and video in separate
    > files (WAV & AVI). Whenever video is captured in Type 2 there is usually a
    > link in the video header which tells the program to bring in the audio at
    > the same time.
    >
    > If this is the type of files you have and the video will import, even
    > though there is an error upon loading, place this video on the timeline
    > and then import the audio file as well. Place it on the timeline under the
    > video track and it should sync up. You can check the match by placing the
    > timeline cursor at the end of the video, change the timeline increment to
    > single frame and see if they end at the same spot. Do the same at the
    > beginning of the clip. Once the first clip is sync'd this way placing the
    > video with audo next to each one in succession should keep it all in line
    > properly.
    >
    > All in all the solution to the problem you are having is right there in
    > that summary and the setting you are using whenever you start Premiere.

    Well I dont have such a summary thing displaying the properties in windows
    explorer. Or do you mean another program that shows this properties ?
    And for the settings with a new project, I think I have tried now most of
    the probablye combinations of settings, all dont work....

    After playing a bit with filemon, it seems that the dv file converter stops
    converting at the same point (during reading the file in) where premiere
    issues the error, where the timecode (?) of the next scene is located.

    greets

    Dennis
  13. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    "Dennis Lubert" <plasmahh@tzi.de> wrote in message
    news:d2v4hb$fiq$1@kohl.informatik.uni-bremen.de...

    <snip>

    > When I save a piece of the file wit M$ movie maker I can import the piece
    > fine (although it seems that the file type is the same).
    > The strange thing with the "Canopus DV File Converter" is that it now
    looks
    > like it stops right after the first "subclip" (or whatever you call it),
    > and the file produced is nearly the same as when I save it with M$ Movie
    > maker.

    It sounds like you're dropping frames. Some capture devices will stop on a
    dropped (or can be set to do this). Premiere has an option in the capture
    box that lets you ignore dropped frames. If you do this, it will capture
    the entire file. However, if you're dropping enough frames it will be quite
    visible in the output.

    Dropped frames usually indicates one of several things:

    1. Poor connections to the video source, i.e. check your cables and
    connectors.

    2. Insufficient power in whatever device you're using to convert analog to
    digital.

    3. Too slow a CPU and/or bus to keep up with the digital video stream.

    4. Too slow a hard drive.

    I haven't been following the entire thread. However, if you're trying to
    capture using the huffyuv codec to create uncompressed AVI, you're putting
    quite a strain on your hard drive and, more than likely, it can't keep up.
    Try capturing to a compressed AVI using the Microsoft DV codec or something
    similar. If you no longer have dropped frames, then the fault lies in an
    underpowered computer, and the first thing I'd look at is the hard drive.
    You may need a RAID system with 7200 rpm drives.

    > >
    > > There was some trepidation over DV file types in an earlier post. Type 1
    > > is audio and video in a single file, Type 2 is audio and video in
    separate
    > > files (WAV & AVI). Whenever video is captured in Type 2 there is usually
    a
    > > link in the video header which tells the program to bring in the audio
    at
    > > the same time.
    > >
    > > If this is the type of files you have and the video will import, even
    > > though there is an error upon loading, place this video on the timeline
    > > and then import the audio file as well. Place it on the timeline under
    the
    > > video track and it should sync up. You can check the match by placing
    the
    > > timeline cursor at the end of the video, change the timeline increment
    to
    > > single frame and see if they end at the same spot. Do the same at the
    > > beginning of the clip. Once the first clip is sync'd this way placing
    the
    > > video with audo next to each one in succession should keep it all in
    line
    > > properly.
    > >
    > > All in all the solution to the problem you are having is right there in
    > > that summary and the setting you are using whenever you start Premiere.
    >
    > Well I dont have such a summary thing displaying the properties in windows
    > explorer. Or do you mean another program that shows this properties ?

    If you load the clip into Premiere, highlight the clip and click on the File
    drop-down menu, then click on Properties. Alternatively, I think you can
    right-click on the clip and select Properties from there.

    > And for the settings with a new project, I think I have tried now most of
    > the probablye combinations of settings, all dont work....

    The new project settings affect only the output, not the input.

    >
    > After playing a bit with filemon, it seems that the dv file converter
    stops
    > converting at the same point (during reading the file in) where premiere
    > issues the error, where the timecode (?) of the next scene is located.

    Ah, okay -- another possibility. Lots of capture devices offer the option of
    "stop on time code break." You want to turn off that function. Since you
    have time code, the easiest thing to do (assuming you have the hard drive
    space) is to capture the video as one continuous file with no scene
    detection (using whatever software you have handy). Download Scenealyzer at
    www.scenealyzer.com -- the shareware version is free. Use it to do
    post-capture scene detection (it can do it either based on time code or on
    optical detection) and create the clips you want that way.

    >
    > greets
    >
    > Dennis
  14. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    Digital Video Solutions wrote:

    >
    > "Dennis Lubert" <plasmahh@tzi.de> wrote in message

    > The age of a camera has nothing to do with the type of DV files captured
    > in Windows Movie Maker, or any other capture program. The user can
    > identify his DV file type by looking at the result of the captures. Type 1
    > creates a combined audio/video stream, i.e. audio is included with video.
    > Type 2 creates separate audio and video, i.e. you get an audio WAV file
    > and a video AVI file - the Matrox RT cards capture in this manner. The
    > Canopus cards capture Type 1. Microsoft Windows Movie Maker captures Type
    > 1 using the Microsoft DV Codec.
    >
    > If the user wishes to import these into Premiere (whatever version
    > supporting DV codecs) start a new project and pick custom setting just to
    > make sure everything is right. Choose General Settings for Microsoft DV
    > AVI - using the Microsoft DV Codec across the board - 720x480 D1/DV pixel
    > 0.9 48kHz (or 32kHz depending of captured video settings) for audio.
    > 29.97fps drop frame timecode. If the user selected to capture DV-AVI using
    > Movie Maker on one machine, there is no apparent reason why the video
    > could not be imported into Premiere 5.1, 6, 6.5 or Pro.

    Great, so the error message appearing from premiere is totally my fault ?
    Ok, anyone can recommend a software with similar features like premiere pro
    that I could try ?
  15. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    "Dennis Lubert" <plasmahh@tzi.de> wrote in message
    news:d2v4te$fpb$1@kohl.informatik.uni-bremen.de...
    > Digital Video Solutions wrote:
    >
    > >
    > > "Dennis Lubert" <plasmahh@tzi.de> wrote in message
    >
    > > The age of a camera has nothing to do with the type of DV files captured
    > > in Windows Movie Maker, or any other capture program. The user can
    > > identify his DV file type by looking at the result of the captures. Type
    1
    > > creates a combined audio/video stream, i.e. audio is included with
    video.
    > > Type 2 creates separate audio and video, i.e. you get an audio WAV file
    > > and a video AVI file - the Matrox RT cards capture in this manner. The
    > > Canopus cards capture Type 1. Microsoft Windows Movie Maker captures
    Type
    > > 1 using the Microsoft DV Codec.
    > >
    > > If the user wishes to import these into Premiere (whatever version
    > > supporting DV codecs) start a new project and pick custom setting just
    to
    > > make sure everything is right. Choose General Settings for Microsoft DV
    > > AVI - using the Microsoft DV Codec across the board - 720x480 D1/DV
    pixel
    > > 0.9 48kHz (or 32kHz depending of captured video settings) for audio.
    > > 29.97fps drop frame timecode. If the user selected to capture DV-AVI
    using
    > > Movie Maker on one machine, there is no apparent reason why the video
    > > could not be imported into Premiere 5.1, 6, 6.5 or Pro.
    >
    > Great, so the error message appearing from premiere is totally my fault ?
    > Ok, anyone can recommend a software with similar features like premiere
    pro
    > that I could try ?

    Premiere will handle Type 1 avi files. I don't recall the difference
    between Type 1 and Type 2 -- it may have to do with maximum file length --
    but the current standard is Type 2. I would assume which type is produced
    is a function of your capture software, rather than the Canopus card.
  16. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    PTravel wrote:

    >

    >
    > It sounds like you're dropping frames. Some capture devices will stop on
    > a
    > dropped (or can be set to do this). Premiere has an option in the capture
    > box that lets you ignore dropped frames. If you do this, it will capture
    > the entire file. However, if you're dropping enough frames it will be
    > quite visible in the output.
    >
    > Dropped frames usually indicates one of several things:
    >
    > 1. Poor connections to the video source, i.e. check your cables and
    > connectors.
    >
    > 2. Insufficient power in whatever device you're using to convert analog
    > to digital.
    >
    > 3. Too slow a CPU and/or bus to keep up with the digital video stream.
    >
    > 4. Too slow a hard drive.
    >
    > I haven't been following the entire thread. However, if you're trying to
    > capture using the huffyuv codec to create uncompressed AVI, you're putting
    > quite a strain on your hard drive and, more than likely, it can't keep up.
    > Try capturing to a compressed AVI using the Microsoft DV codec or
    > something
    > similar. If you no longer have dropped frames, then the fault lies in an
    > underpowered computer, and the first thing I'd look at is the hard drive.
    > You may need a RAID system with 7200 rpm drives.
    Ultra ATA-100 RAID on 2 Athlon MP 2800+ System with 2GB of RAM, dont think
    Im dropping frames. I have captured to Microsoft DV Codec with M$ Movie
    Maker, and this has a setting to stop on dropped frames and it didnt, and
    firewire should be fast enough cable.

    >
    > If you load the clip into Premiere, highlight the clip and click on the
    > File
    > drop-down menu, then click on Properties. Alternatively, I think you can
    > right-click on the clip and select Properties from there.
    Well, thats the entire Problem I *CANT* load the file into Premiere !!
    >
    > Ah, okay -- another possibility. Lots of capture devices offer the option
    > of
    > "stop on time code break." You want to turn off that function. Since
    > you have time code, the easiest thing to do (assuming you have the hard
    > drive space) is to capture the video as one continuous file with no scene
    > detection (using whatever software you have handy). Download Scenealyzer
    > at
    > www.scenealyzer.com -- the shareware version is free. Use it to do
    > post-capture scene detection (it can do it either based on time code or on
    > optical detection) and create the clips you want that way.

    Did you mean www.scenalyzer.com ? I have downloaded. The problem is that I
    dont have the source tapes any more so I can only work with the files I
    already have. If I load them into scenealyzer the scene detection seems to
    work fine, but I cannot find any option to save the single clips, do you
    know the program ? Do I need to buy the full version to do this ?

    greets

    Dennis
  17. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    Dennis Lubert wrote:

    > PTravel wrote:
    >
    >>
    >
    >>
    >> It sounds like you're dropping frames. Some capture devices will stop on
    >> a
    >> dropped (or can be set to do this). Premiere has an option in the
    >> capture
    >> box that lets you ignore dropped frames. If you do this, it will capture
    >> the entire file. However, if you're dropping enough frames it will be
    >> quite visible in the output.
    >>
    >> Dropped frames usually indicates one of several things:
    >>
    >> 1. Poor connections to the video source, i.e. check your cables and
    >> connectors.
    >>
    >> 2. Insufficient power in whatever device you're using to convert analog
    >> to digital.
    >>
    >> 3. Too slow a CPU and/or bus to keep up with the digital video stream.
    >>
    >> 4. Too slow a hard drive.
    >>
    >> I haven't been following the entire thread. However, if you're trying to
    >> capture using the huffyuv codec to create uncompressed AVI, you're
    >> putting quite a strain on your hard drive and, more than likely, it can't
    >> keep up. Try capturing to a compressed AVI using the Microsoft DV codec
    >> or something
    >> similar. If you no longer have dropped frames, then the fault lies in an
    >> underpowered computer, and the first thing I'd look at is the hard drive.
    >> You may need a RAID system with 7200 rpm drives.
    > Ultra ATA-100 RAID on 2 Athlon MP 2800+ System with 2GB of RAM, dont think
    > Im dropping frames. I have captured to Microsoft DV Codec with M$ Movie
    > Maker, and this has a setting to stop on dropped frames and it didnt, and
    > firewire should be fast enough cable.
    >
    >>
    >> If you load the clip into Premiere, highlight the clip and click on the
    >> File
    >> drop-down menu, then click on Properties. Alternatively, I think you can
    >> right-click on the clip and select Properties from there.
    > Well, thats the entire Problem I *CANT* load the file into Premiere !!
    >>
    >> Ah, okay -- another possibility. Lots of capture devices offer the option
    >> of
    >> "stop on time code break." You want to turn off that function. Since
    >> you have time code, the easiest thing to do (assuming you have the hard
    >> drive space) is to capture the video as one continuous file with no scene
    >> detection (using whatever software you have handy). Download Scenealyzer
    >> at
    >> www.scenealyzer.com -- the shareware version is free. Use it to do
    >> post-capture scene detection (it can do it either based on time code or
    >> on optical detection) and create the clips you want that way.
    >
    > Did you mean www.scenalyzer.com ? I have downloaded. The problem is that I
    > dont have the source tapes any more so I can only work with the files I
    > already have. If I load them into scenealyzer the scene detection seems to
    > work fine, but I cannot find any option to save the single clips, do you
    > know the program ? Do I need to buy the full version to do this ?
    >
    > greets
    >
    > Dennis

    Ok, found out how it works, you have to end the program and then it asks to
    do the changes. The clips I got can be loaded into Premiere fine.

    I really wonder why a Shareware program can do such things, while "big" &
    "expensive" programs wont even load the files, and give obscure error
    messages....
  18. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    > I really wonder why a Shareware program can do such things, while "big" &
    > "expensive" programs wont even load the files, and give obscure error
    > messages....

    From the developer's POV:

    Why do it if free shareware programs do it?


    OTOH: It's the things that Premiere does that the freebies do NOT do that
    makes it worth the money.
  19. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 14:24:28 +0200, Dennis Lubert <plasmahh@tzi.de>
    wrote:

    >Mike Kujbida wrote:

    >> Give the Canopus DV File Converter a try.
    >> It's at http://tinyurl.com/6hmaa
    >
    >Ok, its converting, but it says it needs 19 hours per 4GB file

    What??????? Are you sure you are using the Converter, and NOT the
    Procoder?
  20. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    Bariloche wrote:

    > On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 14:24:28 +0200, Dennis Lubert <plasmahh@tzi.de>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Mike Kujbida wrote:
    >
    >>> Give the Canopus DV File Converter a try.
    >>> It's at http://tinyurl.com/6hmaa
    >>
    >>Ok, its converting, but it says it needs 19 hours per 4GB file
    >
    > What??????? Are you sure you are using the Converter, and NOT the
    > Procoder?
    Hm, the URI says "DV File Converter" and the file downloaded is
    DV_File_Converter.exe I think the probability is really high that it is the
    converter. As you can see in another post, this is caused by the stream
    containing timecode information....
Ask a new question

Read More

Tuner Cards Adobe Premiere Video Graphics