Compression Choices

Hello, could comeone please tell me what my choices are for software
that will compress mpeg-2?

My version of Sorenson Squeeze is too old for this and I was hoping to
price compare other software. I've looked around and can only find
Sorenson, which seems pricy at $400.

I'm trying to fit very long Barmitzvah footage onto a 4.7GB DVD.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Brooks
5 answers Last reply
More about compression choices

    <ridewaves00@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hello, could comeone please tell me what my choices are for software
    > that will compress mpeg-2?
    >
    > My version of Sorenson Squeeze is too old for this and I was hoping to
    > price compare other software. I've looked around and can only find
    > Sorenson, which seems pricy at $400.
    >
    > I'm trying to fit very long Barmitzvah footage onto a 4.7GB DVD.
    >
    > Any help is greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Brooks

    You might want to search for some product reviews from
    reliable sources; with comparisons to as many, as possible.

    While there are some of the larger egos here who might
    claim knowledge of all the Encoders out there, most realize
    that they only have experience with a relatively small set.
    Also, for most, any comparison would be with older Versions
    of the programs they are no longer using, being compared to
    the relatively current version of the one that they are now using.

    That said, you may have little to be gained going from any
    good multi-pass encoder to the best you can afford. In fact
    it could be that the only real trade-off is in the speed that a
    given quality at a given compression can be accomplished.

    "We Didn't Start The Fire" Billy Joel

    Luck;
    Ken

    many listed here:

    http://www.videohelp.com/tools?s=40#40

    --
    Brian Alves

    Listen to the new podcast
    for DV creators- The DV Show!
    http://www.thedvshow.com

    <ridewaves00@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hello, could comeone please tell me what my choices are for software
    > that will compress mpeg-2?
    >
    > My version of Sorenson Squeeze is too old for this and I was hoping to
    > price compare other software. I've looked around and can only find
    > Sorenson, which seems pricy at $400.
    >
    > I'm trying to fit very long Barmitzvah footage onto a 4.7GB DVD.
    >
    > Any help is greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Brooks

    Take a look at tmpgenc. It's very inexpensive and has a nice size estimator
    that should be helpful for what you're trying to do. Note that tmpgenc is
    very, very slow at the highest quality settings.

    <ridewaves00@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hello, could comeone please tell me what my choices are for software
    > that will compress mpeg-2?
    >
    > My version of Sorenson Squeeze is too old for this and I was hoping to
    > price compare other software. I've looked around and can only find
    > Sorenson, which seems pricy at $400.
    >
    > I'm trying to fit very long Barmitzvah footage onto a 4.7GB DVD.
    >
    > Any help is greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Brooks

    Whatever comes with your DVD burner drive, like Sonic MyDVD, or burning
    program like the latest Roxio Easy CD or Ahead Nero will do it all just
    fine (most people get them free with their drive bundles).

    ---

    Otherwise, among the highest quality, fastest converters available -
    Cinema Craft Encoder.

    Others are just slower and do a poorer job, IMO.

    Thanks very much to everyone. All of this really helped. I looked
    everywhere mentioned and found a program called BitVice on the
    VideoHelp website. I also looked at my Mac's DVD Studio Pro encoder.
    The difference is with DVD Studio Pro I have to drop the Bitrate down
    to 3.8 Mbps to make the footage 4.2GB and with BitVice I can compress
    at over 5 Mbps.

    The terminology is a little confusing to a beginner like me. I believe
    all encoders can be called "mpeg compressors"? But some compress more
    than others? It seems DVD Studio Pro's encoder doesn't compress as
    effeciently as BitVice's. Hope I'm going in the right direction... :)

    Thanks again,

    Brooks

Tuner Cards Compression Graphics