Little problem: Can't stop "remote access connection manag..

Ok,

After I am done using/testing vpn connections etc I would like to stop and
disable the
"remote access connection manager" service and the "telephony" service just
in case any
vunerabilities are inside those services ;)

Unfortunately the "remote access connection manager" refused to stop, hehe
;)

Requiring a boooooorring.... verrrrrrrrryyyy boring reboot bleh. :)

Bye,
Skybuck.
1 answer Last reply
More about little problem stop remote access connection manag

    Hello,

    Thanks for your post.

    My understanding on this issue is that you found that the VPN connection
    will use the "remote access connection manager" service and the "telephony"
    service so that you want to stop and disable the "remote access connection
    manager" service and the "telephony" service in order to reduce the
    security risks in those services.

    Based on my research, the "remote access connection manager" service
    (Rasman) won't shutdown if "Network Connections" Service (netman) is
    running. Stopping Netman and then stopping Rasman allowed Rasman to remain
    stopped for the RIPREP process. However, we don't recommend you to perform
    the above operation because if you stop Netman service will also stop
    "Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing" service and will bring more
    security risks. You can open "remote access connection manager" service to
    view the dependencies service on Dependencies tab.

    You can also choose to disable the "remote access connection manager"
    service and restart the computer to stop this service.

    According to KB 329441, Telephony, Remote Access Connection Manager, and
    Remote Access Auto Connection Manager services are related to the remote
    access or dial-up networking connection. They should be running when you
    use a VPN connection:

    You cannot create a network connection after you restore Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;329441

    In addition, I have found some articles described the vulnerability in
    "remote access connection manager", however, it is for NT system:

    Microsoft Security Program: Microsoft Security Bulletin (MS99-041)
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms99-041.mspx

    I have also search the Microsoft Security Bulletin Search website at and
    have not found the vulnerability for "remote access connection manager".

    Microsoft Security Bulletin Search

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/current.aspx?productid=30&servicep
    ackid=0&chkcritical=on&chkimportant=on&chkmoderate=on&chklow=on&seldaterange
    =0&txtdatestart=&txtdateend=&submit1=go

    Therefore, it is not necessary to disable "remote access connection
    manager" service and the "telephony" service when the VPN connection is
    establish. I understand you want to prevent any vulnerabilities, I strongly
    recommend you frequently go to Window Update website and install the latest
    update packs on your computer to protect it from danger. You can download
    the Windows XP SP2 from the link below:

    Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with advanced security technologies

    HTH!

    Thanks & Regards

    Amanda Wang [MSFT]

    Microsoft Online Partner Support