Remote Desktop not working

Ron

Hi All,

I'm stuck. I installed 5 computers on one network. All have static IP
addresses. I can remote desktop into 2 of them, yet the last 2 I can't.
I've installed everything the same (as far as I can tell). WinXP pro/Dell
computers purchased from Dell.

Network connections was run to allow remote desktop. It's listed network
connections as "Incoming Connection". All the users are set up. I can
ping these 2 computers that I want to rd into. Same network, so not a
problem of VPN or anything (I'll VPN it once I can RD with the computers I
need to work with--and the VPN will be with a Linksys router with "QuickVPN"
which allows 5 easy VPNs into same router...but again, that's later). My
problem is that the last 2 computers, no matter what I do, will NOT allow RD
connections.

As a quick thing, I installed PCAnywhere on them and running "host" I can
log into them from any computer running PCAnywhere's remote. I want to use
with RD (I find RD is faster than PCAnywhere, so using it is not a
solution), but still the RD try says the Remote connections might not be
enabled (I've enabled it) or the computer might be too busy to accept new
connections (hello, it's just sitting there doing nothing till I can
connect!).

I can also RD from these 2 computers into the other 2...no prob. Just can't
seem to reach these 2 lil' guys. And of course, they're the last ones I've
installed.

Am I missing something? Anyone have any idea what is going on? Any further
tests I can run to see why the RD isn't working on these last 2 computers?
Step by step ideas?

TIA
ron

deb

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003

I'll be interested to see any responses to this. I connect to our WIndows
Server 2003 from home, using XP home. Most of the time all is OK, but at
times I get the same message you appear to get "Remote Desktop
disconnected... Remote connections might not be enabled or the computer might
be too busy...". I worked on Monday night and then was unable to access the
server again until Friday night. Nothing changed, except the pile of work
that needed to be done got bigger. The last time this happened, a couple of
months ago, I had 2 others try from home, different OS, different areas of
town - none could access.