Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

VPN?

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
April 15, 2005 5:17:57 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

I am trying to establish an internet connection to my office computer. The
computers on both ends are running XP Pro. I would want to access shared
files and folders the same way I would on a LAN (with read and write
capabilities). I also want the host computer to be protected. Is VPN the
right solution? Can XP Pro
host a VPN connection or do I need server software? Once a VPN connection is
established, can I access the other computers on the remote LAN?

thank you for your help,
Jim

More about : vpn

Anonymous
April 15, 2005 9:05:04 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

You could either use the built-in PPTP VPN server functionality or a SSH tunnel...

http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server....
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn.htm

I use the SSH tunnel method with XP Pro Remote Desktop.

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/SSH...

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights...


"Jim" <jim@jpossoftware.com> wrote in message news:o EGJ6pXQFHA.1392@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>I am trying to establish an internet connection to my office computer. The
> computers on both ends are running XP Pro. I would want to access shared
> files and folders the same way I would on a LAN (with read and write
> capabilities). I also want the host computer to be protected. Is VPN the
> right solution? Can XP Pro
> host a VPN connection or do I need server software? Once a VPN connection is
> established, can I access the other computers on the remote LAN?
>
> thank you for your help,
> Jim
>
>
April 16, 2005 3:01:25 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

I did follow the links you posted but I am looking for a way to access files
and not to take over the server pc. VNC and the other products listed look
like they are all variants of remote desktop (remote control).

I played with VPN for much of today and got it to work only if I turned off
Windows firewall on the server (XP Pro). The Windows firewall looked like it
was properly configured with checks in both boxes for the 2 flavors of VPN
protocols PPTP and LT2P. We could establish a connection but not see any
shares until we turned off the firewall on the server then instantly the
shared resources would come up in the browser. What are we missing in the
Windows Firewall configuration? I have seen in a post that VPN won't work
with the firewall. I can't believe that's true.

thanks again!
Jim



"Sooner Al [MVP]" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
news:%230wgZKaQFHA.244@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> You could either use the built-in PPTP VPN server functionality or a SSH
> tunnel...
>
> http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server....
> http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn.htm
>
> I use the SSH tunnel method with XP Pro Remote Desktop.
>
> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/SSH...
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
>
> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual
> benefit of all of us...
> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
> rights...
>
>
> "Jim" <jim@jpossoftware.com> wrote in message
> news:o EGJ6pXQFHA.1392@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>>I am trying to establish an internet connection to my office computer. The
>> computers on both ends are running XP Pro. I would want to access shared
>> files and folders the same way I would on a LAN (with read and write
>> capabilities). I also want the host computer to be protected. Is VPN the
>> right solution? Can XP Pro
>> host a VPN connection or do I need server software? Once a VPN connection
>> is
>> established, can I access the other computers on the remote LAN?
>>
>> thank you for your help,
>> Jim
>>
>>
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 6:39:11 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Jim wrote:

> I did follow the links you posted but I am looking for a way to access files
> and not to take over the server pc. VNC and the other products listed look
> like they are all variants of remote desktop (remote control).
>
> I played with VPN for much of today and got it to work only if I turned off
> Windows firewall on the server (XP Pro). The Windows firewall looked like it
> was properly configured with checks in both boxes for the 2 flavors of VPN
> protocols PPTP and LT2P. We could establish a connection but not see any
> shares until we turned off the firewall on the server then instantly the
> shared resources would come up in the browser. What are we missing in the
> Windows Firewall configuration? I have seen in a post that VPN won't work
> with the firewall. I can't believe that's true.


Allow File and Printer Sharing in the firewall exclusions.

ash.
April 19, 2005 5:38:05 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

I highly suggest you look at PMG Connect (www.pmgconnect.com) as an
alternative to using a VPN.
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 8:53:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Hmmm...I have never had a problem with either the old ICF or the new SP2
Windows Firewall getting a PPTP VPN tunnel through. In my case I setup the
PPTP port access in the Windows Firewall "Advanced | Settings" tab and not in
the exceptions list, although both should work equally well. My testing was
using a Windows Mobile 2003 OS PocketPC client...

If the firewall is working correctly *AND* the server is question is fully
exposed to the public internet I highly recommend *NOT* enabling File & Print
Sharing in the exceptions list.

If the server is behind a hardware firewall/NAT/router then you should be
safe to leave the Windows Firewall turned off.

Al

"Jim" wrote:

> I did follow the links you posted but I am looking for a way to access files
> and not to take over the server pc. VNC and the other products listed look
> like they are all variants of remote desktop (remote control).
>
> I played with VPN for much of today and got it to work only if I turned off
> Windows firewall on the server (XP Pro). The Windows firewall looked like it
> was properly configured with checks in both boxes for the 2 flavors of VPN
> protocols PPTP and LT2P. We could establish a connection but not see any
> shares until we turned off the firewall on the server then instantly the
> shared resources would come up in the browser. What are we missing in the
> Windows Firewall configuration? I have seen in a post that VPN won't work
> with the firewall. I can't believe that's true.
>
> thanks again!
> Jim
>
>
>
> "Sooner Al [MVP]" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
> news:%230wgZKaQFHA.244@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > You could either use the built-in PPTP VPN server functionality or a SSH
> > tunnel...
> >
> > http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server....
> > http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn.htm
> >
> > I use the SSH tunnel method with XP Pro Remote Desktop.
> >
> > http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/SSH...
> >
> > --
> >
> > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
> >
> > Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual
> > benefit of all of us...
> > The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
> > rights...
> >
> >
> > "Jim" <jim@jpossoftware.com> wrote in message
> > news:o EGJ6pXQFHA.1392@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> >>I am trying to establish an internet connection to my office computer. The
> >> computers on both ends are running XP Pro. I would want to access shared
> >> files and folders the same way I would on a LAN (with read and write
> >> capabilities). I also want the host computer to be protected. Is VPN the
> >> right solution? Can XP Pro
> >> host a VPN connection or do I need server software? Once a VPN connection
> >> is
> >> established, can I access the other computers on the remote LAN?
> >>
> >> thank you for your help,
> >> Jim
> >>
> >>
> >
> >
>
>
>
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 6:56:52 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Pete wrote:

> I highly suggest you look at PMG Connect (www,xxx.com) as an
> alternative to using a VPN.

I highly suggest you stop spamming this newsgroup with your products.

whois pmgconnect.com

Registrant:

Peter Metcalf
Flat 90, Kings Court

London
W6 0RW
UK

Domain name: pmgconnect.com

Created on: 2004-11-11
Expires on: 2006-11-11


Ash.
!