VPN?

I am trying to establish an internet connection to my office computer. The
computers on both ends are running XP Pro. I would want to access shared
files and folders the same way I would on a LAN (with read and write
capabilities). I also want the host computer to be protected. Is VPN the
right solution? Can XP Pro
host a VPN connection or do I need server software? Once a VPN connection is
established, can I access the other computers on the remote LAN?

thank you for your help,
Jim
6 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    You could either use the built-in PPTP VPN server functionality or a SSH tunnel...

    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn.htm

    I use the SSH tunnel method with XP Pro Remote Desktop.

    http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/SSH-RDP-VNC/RemoteDesktopVNCandSSH.html

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "Jim" <jim@jpossoftware.com> wrote in message news:OEGJ6pXQFHA.1392@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    >I am trying to establish an internet connection to my office computer. The
    > computers on both ends are running XP Pro. I would want to access shared
    > files and folders the same way I would on a LAN (with read and write
    > capabilities). I also want the host computer to be protected. Is VPN the
    > right solution? Can XP Pro
    > host a VPN connection or do I need server software? Once a VPN connection is
    > established, can I access the other computers on the remote LAN?
    >
    > thank you for your help,
    > Jim

    I did follow the links you posted but I am looking for a way to access files
    and not to take over the server pc. VNC and the other products listed look
    like they are all variants of remote desktop (remote control).

    I played with VPN for much of today and got it to work only if I turned off
    Windows firewall on the server (XP Pro). The Windows firewall looked like it
    was properly configured with checks in both boxes for the 2 flavors of VPN
    protocols PPTP and LT2P. We could establish a connection but not see any
    shares until we turned off the firewall on the server then instantly the
    shared resources would come up in the browser. What are we missing in the
    Windows Firewall configuration? I have seen in a post that VPN won't work
    with the firewall. I can't believe that's true.

    thanks again!
    Jim

    Jim wrote:

    > I did follow the links you posted but I am looking for a way to access files
    > and not to take over the server pc. VNC and the other products listed look
    > like they are all variants of remote desktop (remote control).
    >
    > I played with VPN for much of today and got it to work only if I turned off
    > Windows firewall on the server (XP Pro). The Windows firewall looked like it
    > was properly configured with checks in both boxes for the 2 flavors of VPN
    > protocols PPTP and LT2P. We could establish a connection but not see any
    > shares until we turned off the firewall on the server then instantly the
    > shared resources would come up in the browser. What are we missing in the
    > Windows Firewall configuration? I have seen in a post that VPN won't work
    > with the firewall. I can't believe that's true.

    Allow File and Printer Sharing in the firewall exclusions.

    ash.

    I highly suggest you look at PMG Connect (www.pmgconnect.com) as an
    alternative to using a VPN.

    Hmmm...I have never had a problem with either the old ICF or the new SP2
    Windows Firewall getting a PPTP VPN tunnel through. In my case I setup the
    PPTP port access in the Windows Firewall "Advanced | Settings" tab and not in
    the exceptions list, although both should work equally well. My testing was
    using a Windows Mobile 2003 OS PocketPC client...

    If the firewall is working correctly *AND* the server is question is fully
    exposed to the public internet I highly recommend *NOT* enabling File & Print
    Sharing in the exceptions list.

    If the server is behind a hardware firewall/NAT/router then you should be
    safe to leave the Windows Firewall turned off.

    Al

    Pete wrote:

    > I highly suggest you look at PMG Connect (www,xxx.com) as an
    > alternative to using a VPN.

    I highly suggest you stop spamming this newsgroup with your products.

    whois pmgconnect.com

    Registrant:

    Peter Metcalf
    Flat 90, Kings Court