Stills from DVD

What is a good way to capture still pictures from a home movie DVD? Does
the DVD have to be transferred to the hard drive? Are any format
conversions necessary? What software is cheap and decent to allow the
capture?

Thanks.
5 answers Last reply
More about stills

    Both WinDVD and PowerDVD allow you to click a 'snapshot' button at
    anytime the DVD is playing to capture a still. Simply do that and you
    have a picture ready for use.

    If you have the DVD, and it's a home DVD (ie. non-protected), you can
    also grab the free VirtualDub MPEG-2 version
    (http://fcchandler.home.comcast.net/stable/), open up the *.VOB video
    file of interest off your DVD, and simply pick and save the parts of
    interest.

    David Chien wrote:
    > Both WinDVD and PowerDVD allow you to click a 'snapshot' button at
    > anytime the DVD is playing to capture a still. Simply do that and you
    > have a picture ready for use.
    >
    > If you have the DVD, and it's a home DVD (ie. non-protected), you can
    > also grab the free VirtualDub MPEG-2 version
    > (http://fcchandler.home.comcast.net/stable/), open up the *.VOB video
    > file of interest off your DVD, and simply pick and save the parts of
    > interest.

    That's what I wanted to know. Thanks for taking the time.

    Most software DVD players for your computer have the option of saving a
    still when in pause mode.

    Digital Video Solutions wrote:
    > Most software DVD players for your computer have the option of saving a
    > still when in pause mode.
    >
    > "mcp6453" <mcp6453@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>What is a good way to capture still pictures from a home movie DVD? Does
    >>the DVD have to be transferred to the hard drive? Are any format
    >>conversions necessary? What software is cheap and decent to allow the
    >>capture?
    >>
    >>Thanks.

    I assume that you mean that most software bundled with DVD players? He
    does not have the DVD player yet. What software in particular can you
    recommend? He is NOT compute savvy.

    Software DVD players sometimes are included with VGA cards. ATI cards have
    one, Matrox cards have one. There are several other stand alone software
    players as well. See the link for more information
    http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/software/players/

    And yes, you need a computer DVD drive as well.

    > Digital Video Solutions wrote:
    >> Most software DVD players for your computer have the option of saving a
    >> still when in pause mode.
    >>
    >> "mcp6453" <mcp6453@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>What is a good way to capture still pictures from a home movie DVD? Does
    >>>the DVD have to be transferred to the hard drive? Are any format
    >>>conversions necessary? What software is cheap and decent to allow the
    >>>capture?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks.
    >>

    > I assume that you mean that most software bundled with DVD players? He
    > does not have the DVD player yet. What software in particular can you
    > recommend? He is NOT compute savvy.

Tuner Cards DVD Desktops Hard Drives Graphics