Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Stills from DVD

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 9:29:07 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

What is a good way to capture still pictures from a home movie DVD? Does
the DVD have to be transferred to the hard drive? Are any format
conversions necessary? What software is cheap and decent to allow the
capture?

Thanks.

More about : stills dvd

Anonymous
April 5, 2005 9:29:08 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Both WinDVD and PowerDVD allow you to click a 'snapshot' button at
anytime the DVD is playing to capture a still. Simply do that and you
have a picture ready for use.

If you have the DVD, and it's a home DVD (ie. non-protected), you can
also grab the free VirtualDub MPEG-2 version
(http://fcchandler.home.comcast.net/stable/), open up the *.VOB video
file of interest off your DVD, and simply pick and save the parts of
interest.
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 10:08:18 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

David Chien wrote:
> Both WinDVD and PowerDVD allow you to click a 'snapshot' button at
> anytime the DVD is playing to capture a still. Simply do that and you
> have a picture ready for use.
>
> If you have the DVD, and it's a home DVD (ie. non-protected), you can
> also grab the free VirtualDub MPEG-2 version
> (http://fcchandler.home.comcast.net/stable/), open up the *.VOB video
> file of interest off your DVD, and simply pick and save the parts of
> interest.

That's what I wanted to know. Thanks for taking the time.
Related resources
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 1:40:27 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Most software DVD players for your computer have the option of saving a
still when in pause mode.

"mcp6453" <mcp6453@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:IOadnQ8T1riDns7fRVn-hw@portbridge.com...
> What is a good way to capture still pictures from a home movie DVD? Does
> the DVD have to be transferred to the hard drive? Are any format
> conversions necessary? What software is cheap and decent to allow the
> capture?
>
> Thanks.
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 1:40:28 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Digital Video Solutions wrote:
> Most software DVD players for your computer have the option of saving a
> still when in pause mode.
>
> "mcp6453" <mcp6453@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> news:IOadnQ8T1riDns7fRVn-hw@portbridge.com...
>
>>What is a good way to capture still pictures from a home movie DVD? Does
>>the DVD have to be transferred to the hard drive? Are any format
>>conversions necessary? What software is cheap and decent to allow the
>>capture?
>>
>>Thanks.
>
>
>

I assume that you mean that most software bundled with DVD players? He
does not have the DVD player yet. What software in particular can you
recommend? He is NOT compute savvy.
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 2:01:36 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Software DVD players sometimes are included with VGA cards. ATI cards have
one, Matrox cards have one. There are several other stand alone software
players as well. See the link for more information
http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/software/players/

And yes, you need a computer DVD drive as well.

"mcp6453" <mcp6453@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:IcOdnQ6kn7tmm87fRVn-vQ@portbridge.com...
> Digital Video Solutions wrote:
>> Most software DVD players for your computer have the option of saving a
>> still when in pause mode.
>>
>> "mcp6453" <mcp6453@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> news:IOadnQ8T1riDns7fRVn-hw@portbridge.com...
>>
>>>What is a good way to capture still pictures from a home movie DVD? Does
>>>the DVD have to be transferred to the hard drive? Are any format
>>>conversions necessary? What software is cheap and decent to allow the
>>>capture?
>>>
>>>Thanks.
>>
>>
>>
>
> I assume that you mean that most software bundled with DVD players? He
> does not have the DVD player yet. What software in particular can you
> recommend? He is NOT compute savvy.
!