Frustrated with this network setup, Can Anyone Help?

MJ

Just upgraded from dial-up to high speed cable, have two computers (one on
W2K and one on XPPro) linked to cable modem through a Linksys WRK54G, and
both are able to get out to web with no problems. Problem is that I can't
seem to access either computer from the other...

1. Both are in the same workgroup and I can see each from the other within
the workgroup, however if I try to access one computer from the other I get
the following:

"\\Comp2 is not accessable. You might not have permission to use this
network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you
have access permissions.

The network path was not found."

2. I have a Zone Alarm firewall on both and have the "trusted area" on low
(off). However, I think I need to identify the IP address of the other
computer to have the firewall recognize it as part of the trusted area. If
this is so, how can I assign an IP address to each box for my network
purposes w/o messing with the dynamically assigned DCHP address from ISP?

Or am I going in the wrong direction and making this more difficult than it
needs to be?

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help,
MJ

Just add the current IP address to the Firewall setting in Zone Alarm. I
assume you have shared a folder on each computer.
You can get the IP address with Run/cmd, Then IPconfig.

"MJ" wrote:

> Just upgraded from dial-up to high speed cable, have two computers (one on
> W2K and one on XPPro) linked to cable modem through a Linksys WRK54G, and
> both are able to get out to web with no problems. Problem is that I can't
> seem to access either computer from the other...
>
> 1. Both are in the same workgroup and I can see each from the other within
> the workgroup, however if I try to access one computer from the other I get
> the following:
>
> "\\Comp2 is not accessable. You might not have permission to use this
> network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you
> have access permissions.
>
> The network path was not found."
>
> 2. I have a Zone Alarm firewall on both and have the "trusted area" on low
> (off). However, I think I need to identify the IP address of the other
> computer to have the firewall recognize it as part of the trusted area. If
> this is so, how can I assign an IP address to each box for my network
> purposes w/o messing with the dynamically assigned DCHP address from ISP?
>
> Or am I going in the wrong direction and making this more difficult than it
> needs to be?
>
> Your help is appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help,
> MJ

Malke

Hugh wrote:

> Just add the current IP address to the Firewall setting in Zone Alarm.
> I assume you have shared a folder on each computer.
> You can get the IP address with Run/cmd, Then IPconfig.
>
> "MJ" wrote:
>
>> Just upgraded from dial-up to high speed cable, have two computers
>> (one on W2K and one on XPPro) linked to cable modem through a Linksys
>> WRK54G, and
>> both are able to get out to web with no problems. Problem is that I
>> can't seem to access either computer from the other...
>>
>> 1. Both are in the same workgroup and I can see each from the other
>> within the workgroup, however if I try to access one computer from
>> the other I get the following:
>>
>> "\\Comp2 is not accessable. You might not have permission to use this
>> network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find
>> out if you have access permissions.
>>
>> The network path was not found."
>>
>> 2. I have a Zone Alarm firewall on both and have the "trusted area"
>> on low
>> (off). However, I think I need to identify the IP address of the
>> other
>> computer to have the firewall recognize it as part of the trusted
>> area. If this is so, how can I assign an IP address to each box for
>> my network purposes w/o messing with the dynamically assigned DCHP
>> address from ISP?

Just to add to what Hugh wrote:

1. Create identical user accounts and passwords on both machines.
2. Share out desired resources, making sure permissions are set
correctly.
3. In ZoneAlarm, add the IP range of your network to the Zones area in
Firewall (I believe, I don't have ZA installed anywhere here). For a
Linksys, use 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254 and call it something useful
like "lan".

HTH,

Malke
--