Importing DVD's into Vegas 5

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 6, 2005 1:06:06 AM

Little help please! I bought a used Philips DVDR75 to easily archive my old
VHS and Hi 8 video tapes. Machine also has a firewire port which makes it
easy to archive my dv tapes straight to DVD+R as well. Problem is I can't
figure out how to import the dvd's I'm making into Vegas 5? I can import all
sorts of file types into Vegas but it doesn't recognize these finalized
dvd's. I thought if a dvd had no copy protection that it could be easily
imported into a Vegas like program. Any help greatly appreciated.

Neil R

More about : importing dvd vegas

Anonymous
April 6, 2005 3:26:01 AM

"Neil Rutman" <neilrutman@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> Little help please! I bought a used Philips DVDR75 to easily archive my
> old VHS and Hi 8 video tapes. Machine also has a firewire port which makes
> it easy to archive my dv tapes straight to DVD+R as well. Problem is I
> can't figure out how to import the dvd's I'm making into Vegas 5? I can
> import all sorts of file types into Vegas but it doesn't recognize these
> finalized dvd's. I thought if a dvd had no copy protection that it could
> be easily imported into a Vegas like program. Any help greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Neil R

You could copy the .vob files to your hard drive then use
www.VideoReDo.com to make MPEG program streams
..mpg files or Essential Streams (both Audio and Video files),
whichever Vegas likes.

This has the added benefit of having the GOP & sequence
headers rewritten in a more DVD compliant format, with the
PTS timing data applied properly.

Luck;
Ken
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 6:11:49 PM

Standalone DVD recorders usually write DVD_VR files to the disc.
Unfortunately Vegas does not import these files. See Vegas
Capture/Import/Export list here
http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com/products/showprod...
Apparently there is no way to do what you want using Vegas 5.

Ulead MediaStudio Pro 7 does allow import of these files for editing in
their software. Heuris has a software plug-in for Premiere called ConnexIT
that allows you to import these files. To date I don't know of any plug-in
for Vegas.

--
Larry Johnson
Digital Video Solutions

"Neil Rutman" <neilrutman@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> Little help please! I bought a used Philips DVDR75 to easily archive my
> old VHS and Hi 8 video tapes. Machine also has a firewire port which makes
> it easy to archive my dv tapes straight to DVD+R as well. Problem is I
> can't figure out how to import the dvd's I'm making into Vegas 5? I can
> import all sorts of file types into Vegas but it doesn't recognize these
> finalized dvd's. I thought if a dvd had no copy protection that it could
> be easily imported into a Vegas like program. Any help greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Neil R

April 6, 2005 6:11:50 PM

Bummer, thanks for the help.
"Digital Video Solutions" <video@digitalvideosolutions.com> wrote in message
> Standalone DVD recorders usually write DVD_VR files to the disc.
> Unfortunately Vegas does not import these files. See Vegas
> Capture/Import/Export list here
> http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com/products/showprod...
> Apparently there is no way to do what you want using Vegas 5.
>
> Ulead MediaStudio Pro 7 does allow import of these files for editing in
> their software. Heuris has a software plug-in for Premiere called ConnexIT
> that allows you to import these files. To date I don't know of any plug-in
> for Vegas.
>
> --
> Larry Johnson
> Digital Video Solutions
> webmaster@digitalvideosolutions.com
> http://www.digitalvideosolutions.com
> 877-227-6281 Toll Free Sales Assistance
> 386-672-1941 Customer Service
> 386-672-1907 Technical Support
> 386-676-1515 Fax
>

> "Neil Rutman" <neilrutman@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
>> Little help please! I bought a used Philips DVDR75 to easily archive my
>> old VHS and Hi 8 video tapes. Machine also has a firewire port which
>> makes it easy to archive my dv tapes straight to DVD+R as well. Problem
>> is I can't figure out how to import the dvd's I'm making into Vegas 5? I
>> can import all sorts of file types into Vegas but it doesn't recognize
>> these finalized dvd's. I thought if a dvd had no copy protection that it
>> could be easily imported into a Vegas like program. Any help greatly
>> appreciated.
>>
>> Neil R

Anonymous
April 6, 2005 7:29:55 PM

1. Finalize the DVD on the recorder. This will result in standard
VIDEO_TS subfolder that contains standard *.vob video files.

2. On PC, decode vob to AVI files (pick standard DV codec or a fast,
low-loss codec such as Huffyuv or PicVideo MJPEG) on HD with:
DVDx 2.3 -> AVI file on HD for editing
http://www.labdv.com/dvdx/

---

DVD2AVI
http://nickyguides.digital-digest.com/DVD2AVI.htm

---

VirtualDub MPEG version
http://fcchandler.home.comcast.net/stable/

3. If necessary, use DVD Decrypter http://www.dvddecrypter.com/
to copy the VOB files to your HD first for speed & convenience.

4. Open AVI file in Vegas Video for editing.
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 12:22:36 PM

Finally got it. Thanks for all your help!

Neil R

!