Importing DVD's into Vegas 5

Little help please! I bought a used Philips DVDR75 to easily archive my old
VHS and Hi 8 video tapes. Machine also has a firewire port which makes it
easy to archive my dv tapes straight to DVD+R as well. Problem is I can't
figure out how to import the dvd's I'm making into Vegas 5? I can import all
sorts of file types into Vegas but it doesn't recognize these finalized
dvd's. I thought if a dvd had no copy protection that it could be easily
imported into a Vegas like program. Any help greatly appreciated.

Neil R
5 answers Last reply
More about importing vegas

    "Neil Rutman" <neilrutman@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
    > Little help please! I bought a used Philips DVDR75 to easily archive my
    > old VHS and Hi 8 video tapes. Machine also has a firewire port which makes
    > it easy to archive my dv tapes straight to DVD+R as well. Problem is I
    > can't figure out how to import the dvd's I'm making into Vegas 5? I can
    > import all sorts of file types into Vegas but it doesn't recognize these
    > finalized dvd's. I thought if a dvd had no copy protection that it could
    > be easily imported into a Vegas like program. Any help greatly
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Neil R

    You could copy the .vob files to your hard drive then use
    www.VideoReDo.com to make MPEG program streams
    ..mpg files or Essential Streams (both Audio and Video files),
    whichever Vegas likes.

    This has the added benefit of having the GOP & sequence
    headers rewritten in a more DVD compliant format, with the
    PTS timing data applied properly.

    Luck;
    Ken

    Standalone DVD recorders usually write DVD_VR files to the disc.
    Unfortunately Vegas does not import these files. See Vegas
    Capture/Import/Export list here
    http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com/products/showproduct.asp?PID=914&FeatureID=7546
    Apparently there is no way to do what you want using Vegas 5.

    Ulead MediaStudio Pro 7 does allow import of these files for editing in
    their software. Heuris has a software plug-in for Premiere called ConnexIT
    that allows you to import these files. To date I don't know of any plug-in
    for Vegas.

    --
    Larry Johnson
    Digital Video Solutions

    "Neil Rutman" <neilrutman@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
    > Little help please! I bought a used Philips DVDR75 to easily archive my
    > old VHS and Hi 8 video tapes. Machine also has a firewire port which makes
    > it easy to archive my dv tapes straight to DVD+R as well. Problem is I
    > can't figure out how to import the dvd's I'm making into Vegas 5? I can
    > import all sorts of file types into Vegas but it doesn't recognize these
    > finalized dvd's. I thought if a dvd had no copy protection that it could
    > be easily imported into a Vegas like program. Any help greatly
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Neil R

    Bummer, thanks for the help.
    "Digital Video Solutions" <video@digitalvideosolutions.com> wrote in message
    > Standalone DVD recorders usually write DVD_VR files to the disc.
    > Unfortunately Vegas does not import these files. See Vegas
    > Capture/Import/Export list here
    > http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com/products/showproduct.asp?PID=914&FeatureID=7546
    > Apparently there is no way to do what you want using Vegas 5.
    >
    > Ulead MediaStudio Pro 7 does allow import of these files for editing in
    > their software. Heuris has a software plug-in for Premiere called ConnexIT
    > that allows you to import these files. To date I don't know of any plug-in
    > for Vegas.
    >
    > --
    > Larry Johnson
    > Digital Video Solutions
    > webmaster@digitalvideosolutions.com
    > http://www.digitalvideosolutions.com
    > 877-227-6281 Toll Free Sales Assistance
    > 386-672-1941 Customer Service
    > 386-672-1907 Technical Support
    > 386-676-1515 Fax
    >

    > "Neil Rutman" <neilrutman@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
    >> Little help please! I bought a used Philips DVDR75 to easily archive my
    >> old VHS and Hi 8 video tapes. Machine also has a firewire port which
    >> makes it easy to archive my dv tapes straight to DVD+R as well. Problem
    >> is I can't figure out how to import the dvd's I'm making into Vegas 5? I
    >> can import all sorts of file types into Vegas but it doesn't recognize
    >> these finalized dvd's. I thought if a dvd had no copy protection that it
    >> could be easily imported into a Vegas like program. Any help greatly
    >> appreciated.
    >>
    >> Neil R

    1. Finalize the DVD on the recorder. This will result in standard
    VIDEO_TS subfolder that contains standard *.vob video files.

    2. On PC, decode vob to AVI files (pick standard DV codec or a fast,
    low-loss codec such as Huffyuv or PicVideo MJPEG) on HD with:
    DVDx 2.3 -> AVI file on HD for editing
    http://www.labdv.com/dvdx/

    ---

    DVD2AVI
    http://nickyguides.digital-digest.com/DVD2AVI.htm

    ---

    VirtualDub MPEG version
    http://fcchandler.home.comcast.net/stable/

    3. If necessary, use DVD Decrypter http://www.dvddecrypter.com/
    to copy the VOB files to your HD first for speed & convenience.

    4. Open AVI file in Vegas Video for editing.

    Finally got it. Thanks for all your help!

    Neil R

    "Neil Rutman" <neilrutman@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
    > Little help please! I bought a used Philips DVDR75 to easily archive my
    > old VHS and Hi 8 video tapes. Machine also has a firewire port which makes
    > it easy to archive my dv tapes straight to DVD+R as well. Problem is I
    > can't figure out how to import the dvd's I'm making into Vegas 5? I can
    > import all sorts of file types into Vegas but it doesn't recognize these
    > finalized dvd's. I thought if a dvd had no copy protection that it could
    > be easily imported into a Vegas like program. Any help greatly
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Neil R

Tuner Cards DVD Video Graphics