Can't remote desktop from 98 to XP in a simple wireless se..

Tags:
  • Remote Desktop
  • IP Address
  • Windows XP
April 15, 2005 10:22:14 PM

Help! I am trying to get my laptop running Windows 98 Second Edition
to Remote Desktop into my Windows XP Professional machine. Neither
machine seems to recognize the other's IP address. Here's my setup:

Machine1:
IP Address: 192.168.1.3
Desktop running Windows XP Professional
Wired connection to Netgear Router
Using simple XP logins (i.e. no password, just click on account to
login)

Machine2:
IP Address: 192.168.1.4
Laptop running Windows 98 Second Edition
RDC installed
Wireless connection to Netgear router via USB wireless adapter

Netgear Wireless Router:
Connected to a cable modem

I have both machines on the same Workgroup. Both machines can see each
other's shares by navigating to \\Machine1 or \\Machine2. If I try to
navigate to their IP addresses, it doesn't work. For example, if I was
on Machine1 and navigated to \\192.168.1.4, it does not work.

So neither machine seems to recognize the other's IP address. If I try
to remote desktop in (from Machine2) using either the machine name or
IP address of Machine1, it does not work.

I have tried setting up identical accounts on both machines (same
usernames and passwords) but that didn't seem to work. I also followed
the instructions on this web site:

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/Rem...

And setup the port forwarding on port 3389 for Machine2's IP address.
Still nothing. If I run netstat -a from a command line, it says
Machine1 is listening on port 3389. But if I run the Port Query
program and query port 3389 for Machine1's IP address, it says it's not
listening.

I'm not sure where to go from here. I just want to be able to remote
desktop into my XP machine. Please help! Any advice will be greatly
appreciated, thanks!

Martin

More about : remote desktop simple wireless

April 16, 2005 7:57:20 AM

Port forwarding for 3389 should be to machine 1

"shmengie" <shmengie@ptd.net> wrote in message
> Help! I am trying to get my laptop running Windows 98 Second Edition
> to Remote Desktop into my Windows XP Professional machine. Neither
> machine seems to recognize the other's IP address. Here's my setup:
>
> Machine1:
> IP Address: 192.168.1.3
> Desktop running Windows XP Professional
> Wired connection to Netgear Router
> Using simple XP logins (i.e. no password, just click on account to
> login)
>
> Machine2:
> IP Address: 192.168.1.4
> Laptop running Windows 98 Second Edition
> RDC installed
> Wireless connection to Netgear router via USB wireless adapter
>
> Netgear Wireless Router:
> Connected to a cable modem
>
> I have both machines on the same Workgroup. Both machines can see each
> other's shares by navigating to \\Machine1 or \\Machine2. If I try to
> navigate to their IP addresses, it doesn't work. For example, if I was
> on Machine1 and navigated to \\192.168.1.4, it does not work.
>
> So neither machine seems to recognize the other's IP address. If I try
> to remote desktop in (from Machine2) using either the machine name or
> IP address of Machine1, it does not work.
>
> I have tried setting up identical accounts on both machines (same
> usernames and passwords) but that didn't seem to work. I also followed
> the instructions on this web site:
>
> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/Rem...
>
> And setup the port forwarding on port 3389 for Machine2's IP address.
> Still nothing. If I run netstat -a from a command line, it says
> Machine1 is listening on port 3389. But if I run the Port Query
> program and query port 3389 for Machine1's IP address, it says it's not
> listening.
>
> I'm not sure where to go from here. I just want to be able to remote
> desktop into my XP machine. Please help! Any advice will be greatly
> appreciated, thanks!
>
> Martin

Anonymous
April 16, 2005 9:50:57 AM

Fitz wrote:
> Port forwarding for 3389 should be to machine 1

I changed my router settings to forward port 3389 to Machine1's IP
address (192.16.81.3) and it did not help, but thanks for the
response...

Martin
Related resources
April 17, 2005 5:09:43 AM

Can you ping machine 1 and 2's local IP address from each other?

> Fitz wrote:
>> Port forwarding for 3389 should be to machine 1
>
> I changed my router settings to forward port 3389 to Machine1's IP
> address (192.16.81.3) and it did not help, but thanks for the
> response...
>
> Martin

Anonymous
April 20, 2005 9:41:36 PM

Yes, I can actually ping back and forth from each machine.
April 21, 2005 7:36:01 AM

When you try to connect from machine 2, are you entering the address
192.168.1.3 (assuming that's machine 1's local IP) in the address bar of
your web browser? Are you also forwarding port 80 on the router to machine
1? Have you tried checking the ports from a site such as www.grc.com to
make sure they are visible from outside the network? From outside the
network, your need your public IP in order to check. If using a firewall,
make sure those ports are also forwarded or that the service is permitted.

!