Premiere Elements codec: Causes HiDef Play Back to Smear

Hi,

I have several hidef mpeg files that were extracted from a recorded
transport stream using an over-the-air card in my computer. When I
extracted them, I did not resize them at all. The Avicodec reports that
the files are 1920x1080(2.21:1), 29.97 fps, 15000Kbps. (is 2.21:1 the
pixel shape?)

I have never had an issue with the playback until I loaded Premiere
Elements.

When they play, I now get extreme smearing (really jaggies if you look
close) on fast moving areas of the video. The hand of a guitar player
is totally messed up. This occurs at any playback size and with media
player, real player, and videolan. Prior to loading Elements, I know
these 3 players had no issues with playback.

Graphedt renders the file, it builds a graph using the "MainConcept
(AdobeEncore) MPEG Video Decoder" to handle the video part of the file.

Help!

Bob

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On 6 Apr 2005 10:30:36 -0700, in 'rec.video.desktop',
in article <Premiere Elements codec: Causes HiDef Play Back to Smear>,
bobgcampbell@gmail.com wrote:

>Hi,

Hello Bob,

>I have several hidef mpeg files that were extracted from a recorded
>transport stream using an over-the-air card in my computer.

Just curious, but was this a satellite broadcast or a terrestrial
broadcast?

>When I extracted them, I did not resize them at all.

Okay.

>The Avicodec reports that
>the files are 1920x1080(2.21:1), 29.97 fps, 15000Kbps. (is 2.21:1 the
>pixel shape?)

1920 x 1080 is the frame size (width by height, in pixels) and has a
16:9 (1.778:1) aspect ratio, although some films have been done in a
2.21:1 aspect ratio. 29.97 is, of course, the NTSC frame rate (in
frames per second) and 15000 kbps (15 Mbps) is the highest data rate
usually used in MP@ML (Main Profile at Main Level) MPEG-2 encoding. I
don't believe that 2.21:1 is all that common.

>I have never had an issue with the playback until I loaded Premiere
>Elements.

That could be because the installation of Premiere Elements either a)
replaced the MPEG-2 decoding codec that you were previously using (it
would be helpful at this point if you knew the name of the codec that
you were previously using so that you could determine if it's still
installed on your system) or b) installed an additional MPEG-2
decoding codec on your system (the "MainConcept (AdobeEncore) MPEG
Video Decoder" which you mention below) and this new filter was
assigned a higher merit than the old filter.

>When they play, I now get extreme smearing (really jaggies if you look
>close) on fast moving areas of the video. The hand of a guitar player
>is totally messed up. This occurs at any playback size and with media
>player, real player, and videolan. Prior to loading Elements, I know
>these 3 players had no issues with playback.

Just curious, but by "media player" do you mean Windows Media Player?
Also, does the video appear to be playing back with the proper aspect
ratio?

>Graphedt renders the file, it builds a graph using the "MainConcept
>(AdobeEncore) MPEG Video Decoder" to handle the video part of the file.

What did you do exactly? Did you launch Graphedt and select the
"Render Media File..." item on the 'File' menu and then browse to the
file in question and select it? Note that when you do this, Graphedt
will pick the (DirectShow) filter with the highest merit (which
matches the GUID of the media type, subtype, and format, of course).
IOW, it uses the "default" filter. I would suggest that you choose the
"Insert Filters..." item on the 'Graph' menu and look to see whether
your old MPEG-2 decoder filter is still there. It would be under the
"DirectShow Filters" category. If it is, manually draw your own graph
and see if it plays (renders) the file okay.

>Help!

I hope that I've been of some help (I'm still on my first cup of
coffee, if that's any excuse).

Note that if you unregister (with RegSvr32.exe) the MainConcept
(AdobeEncore) MPEG Video Decoder then Premiere Elements may no longer
properly handle MPEG-2 files. Also, I have to ask if you also have
Adobe Encore installed on your system, given the name of this filter.

Although I've never used them, there are programs out there (RadLight
Filter Manager 1.4, for example) which will allow you to change the
merit of a DirectShow filter. Although dangerous when you don't know
what you're doing, this can be useful when you have multiple filters
which can handle the same task but want a certain filter to be the
default at some times and a different filter to be the default at
other times, depending upon what sort of work you're doing at the
time.

The following page on the Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) portion
of the Microsoft Web site defines DirectShow filter merit values.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/directshow/htm/merit.asp

RadLight Filter Manager 1.4, in the form of a ZIP file
(rlfm_bin1_4.zip - 211,895 bytes), can be directly downloaded via the
following link.

http://www.dvbviewer.com/forum/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=406

--
Frank, Independent Consultant
New York, NY

Thanks for the detailed response. I've learned a lot.

The Encore filter came with Premiere Elemnts, I didn't install the
separate Encore application.

In graphedit, I right clicked on the codec, and there was a
de-interlace setting. This makes the setting the default and not the
mpeg plays correctly.

I don't know if this will effect how Premiere Elements renders, I may
need to change it back.

I'm going to have to dig into the RegSvr32 usage and the RadLight
filter manager. They look useful.

My next problem is that when I render the hidef file into a DVD format
mpeg, the audio and video anre many seconds off by the end of an hour.
The Adobe FAQ says to go to www.videohelp.com and use another program
to make an AVI!!!!! Imagine that, and I paid money for Elements so I
wouldn't have to risk using spyware laden unsupported software.

Thanks Again,

Bob

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On 7 Apr 2005 16:34:15 -0700, in 'rec.video.desktop',
in article <Re: Premiere Elements codec: Causes HiDef Play Back to
Smear>,
bobgcampbell@gmail.com wrote:

>Thanks for the detailed response. I've learned a lot.

That's good to hear.

>The Encore filter came with Premiere Elemnts, I didn't install the
>separate Encore application.

Okay.

>In graphedit, I right clicked on the codec, and there was a
>de-interlace setting. This makes the setting the default and not the
>mpeg plays correctly.

I apologize for not immediately recognizing your problem as being
(possibly) related to interlacing artifacts. I should have.

>I don't know if this will effect how Premiere Elements renders, I may
>need to change it back.

Don't know. If worse comes to worse, and you can't find better advice
elsewhere, you could try it both ways and compare the results.

>I'm going to have to dig into the RegSvr32 usage and the RadLight
>filter manager. They look useful.

Okay, just be careful. :)

>My next problem is that when I render the hidef file into a DVD format
>mpeg, the audio and video anre many seconds off by the end of an hour.

I sympathize. It's been (thankfully) many years since I've had to deal
with audio/video synchronization issues on any video editing system
that I've used, but they are, at least to my mind, some of the most
irritating problems to resolve.

The first step in resolving this might be to determine whether the
out-of-synch condition exists in your original video file or whether
it's being introduced (most likely by some piece of software) later on
in your process. If the original video is okay, then you're already
half-way to resolving the problem.

>The Adobe FAQ says to go to www.videohelp.com and use another program
>to make an AVI!!!!! Imagine that, and I paid money for Elements so I
>wouldn't have to risk using spyware laden unsupported software.

I appreciate what you're saying. Be sure to try the forums on
adobe.com (and elsewhere) before you give up on this, though.

Go to http://www.adobe.com/support/forums/main.html and select the
Adobe Premiere Elements (Win) link on the left-side of the Web page.
There might well be other users who have experienced the same problem
and who have come up with solutions.

>Thanks Again,

You're quite welcome, and good luck!

--
Frank, Independent Consultant
New York, NY
[Please remove 'nojunkmail.' from address to reply via e-mail.]
Read Frank's thoughts on HDV at http://www.humanvalues.net/hdv/

Oops, Elements can't export AVI, only MPEG, QuickTime, or Windows
Media.

Looks like media takes a one way trip from a camcorder (AVI) to
computer or DVD.

Is Premiere Pro any better at importing MPEG media?

Bob

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On 8 Apr 2005 12:18:23 -0700, in 'rec.video.desktop',
in article <Re: Premiere Elements codec: Causes HiDef Play Back to
Smear>,
bobgcampbell@gmail.com wrote:

>Oops, Elements can't export AVI, only MPEG, QuickTime, or Windows
>Media.

I've never used Premiere Elements (PE) -- been doing most recent work
in Sony Vegas and Ulead MediaStudio Pro -- but even if PE doesn't
allow "Export" in AVI format it still should have *some* ability to
create AVI files. Maybe you should look for a "Save As" function.

>Looks like media takes a one way trip from a camcorder (AVI) to
>computer or DVD.

Surely you can save an AVI file to your hard disk drive from PE? I
know the specs suggest that you can connect a VHS VCR to your DV
camcorder (which in turn is connected to your computer's IEEE 1394
port) and use the camcorder's digital-to-analog "pass-through" ability
to create VHS tapes of your finished project. This would make it seem
likely that you could simply write to DV tape instead, right?

>Is Premiere Pro any better at importing MPEG media?

I'm sorry, that I don't know. I'm an old-school kind of guy who thinks
of MPEG-2 as a transmission/distribution format and not as an
acquisition/editing format.

--
Frank, Independent Consultant
New York, NY
[Please remove 'nojunkmail.' from address to reply via e-mail.]
Read Frank's thoughts on HDV at http://www.humanvalues.net/hdv/

The file save as function is for the PE project file.

Under export, there is a greyed out export to tape, but I haven't tried
connecting my camcorder to see if it becomes enabled. Under the file
export menu, there is a Movie.... selection and I found AVI as a file
type, but the sound is off the same as before (~15 sec fast in 60 min
mpeg).

I don't think you're any more old school than me, heck I even know the
difference between your and you're. It's just that the media comes to
me in mpeg.

I tried using a few of the tools on www.videohelp.com, but they are all
targeted at NTSC, not ATSC, frame size. There are menus for selecting
output size, but it didn't retain my 1920x1080, everything went down to
less that 800x600. I spent the most time with gordian knot.

Oh well, I'll keep hunting.

Bob