WTB Pinnacle DV500

Hi, I am potentially interested in buying a DV500 NLE for some projects
of mine. If anyone is selling, please tell me your selling price
(preferably a flat amount that includes S/H charges). Thanks!

Hey, thanks for all the replies. To answer your question regarding why
i'm interested, the reason I am interested in a DV500 is because my PC
is about 3 1/2 years old (Sony Vaio PCV-RX463DS, 1.4 GHZ, 128 RAM, 32
meg Geforce 2 MX), and it about meets or exceeds the system
requirements of the unit. I've read a couple of reviews that praised
the DV500's ability to work across a wide spectrum of configurations,
from slower systems to faster ones. Also, I'm very comfortable with
Adobe Premiere 6.0. Thanks for the mobo heads up. Again, I have a
Sony Vaio system, not a custom built one, but I think my mobo may be a
compatible one with the DV500. If the site from which I got my mobo
model is accurate, I believe this model is a ASUS WMT-LE. One of the
compatible ones on the site is a WMT-A. In your opinion, would you say
those two are similiar? Lastly, regarding DV Bridges, what are some
reliable brands? I believe I recently worked on a system that had a
Sony bridge, and it seemed fine. Again, thanks for the information.

Even though I am NOT selling my DV500, why do you want the DV500.
Because of faster processors/memory there are other cheeper solutions AND
the DV500 is considered a Legacy product which means they no longer really
support it. The do have all the patches etc on Pinnacles site but it is
considered old technology.
Tom

"Tom Ellliott" <1stroke@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Even though I am NOT selling my DV500, why do you want the DV500.
> Because of faster processors/memory there are other cheeper solutions AND
> the DV500 is considered a Legacy product which means they no longer really
> support it. The do have all the patches etc on Pinnacles site but it is
> considered old technology.
> Tom

Aside from the fact it is Legacy, there is the issue of what mainboard to
use with it - which would need to match the compatibility of the products
time frame. The OP should realize it is not a guarantee the card will
function whatsoever on newer platform mainboards. Even during the time when
it was non-Legacy there were several in our area who purchased the card
without checking compatibility lists and never got the card to work on
current model Asus, Tyan and SuperMicro motherboards.

The last and only remaining compatibility lists for the DV500 are
http://www.pinnaclesys.com/docsupport1.asp?division_id=8&langue_id=7&product_id=564&product_name=&page_id=374
http://www.pinnaclesys.com/support/display.asp?ProductID=321&SubDocTypesID=79

While you're at the Pinnacle site check compatibility with VGA cards as
well. Once done there you can then make your final decision as to whether or
not you really want that card. Just a heads up. Outside of that, I have a
DV500 DVD card with Premiere 6.5 running on an Asus A7V133 mainboard with
AMD 1GHz processor, 768MB PC133 RAM and onboard ATA100 RAID controller,
I'll sell you for $1000.00. Includes, Pioneer DVR-A03 drive and 48X CD
burner.
--
Larry Johnson
Digital Video Solutions

you'll regret it!

Just get a firewire card and a DV bridge.

mi6agent56@aol.com wrote:

> Hey, thanks for all the replies. To answer your question regarding why
> i'm interested, the reason I am interested in a DV500 is because my PC
> is about 3 1/2 years old (Sony Vaio PCV-RX463DS, 1.4 GHZ, 128 RAM, 32
> meg Geforce 2 MX), and it about meets or exceeds the system
> requirements of the unit. I've read a couple of reviews that praised
> the DV500's ability to work across a wide spectrum of configurations,
> from slower systems to faster ones. Also, I'm very comfortable with
> Adobe Premiere 6.0. Thanks for the mobo heads up. Again, I have a
> Sony Vaio system, not a custom built one, but I think my mobo may be a
> compatible one with the DV500. If the site from which I got my mobo
> model is accurate, I believe this model is a ASUS WMT-LE. One of the
> compatible ones on the site is a WMT-A. In your opinion, would you say
> those two are similiar? Lastly, regarding DV Bridges, what are some
> reliable brands? I believe I recently worked on a system that had a
> Sony bridge, and it seemed fine. Again, thanks for the information.

I'm afraid that I agree with nappy on this one. The DV500 has been
superseded by newer models some time ago. By today's standards it's
somewhat proprietary too.. It's NOT compatible with Premiere Pro, very
finicky with various motherboards, and suffers from sound sync problems
in which Adobe and Pinnacle pointed fingers at one and another for over
3 years.

Since both Adobe and Pinnacle have since scraped both the hardware and
the software some years ago, be ready to expect zero support on that system.

A better platform would be a DV bridge like the Canopus ADVC-100 (or the
one I have ADVC-300).

Save your money and upgrade your computer to a newer computer, forego
the proprietary capture card and use a DV camera as your bridge, and if
your just happy with Premiere 6.0, scrap that and get the 79 dollar
Premiere Elements.

-Richard

Price is depenent on WHERE YOU ARE.

--
Maurice Fleisher <videoenterprises@ntlworld.com>
www.videoenterprises-uk.co.uk

"Richard Ragon" <bsema04@hananho.com> wrote in message
> mi6agent56@aol.com wrote:
>
>> Hey, thanks for all the replies. To answer your question regarding why
>> i'm interested, the reason I am interested in a DV500 is because my PC
>> is about 3 1/2 years old (Sony Vaio PCV-RX463DS, 1.4 GHZ, 128 RAM, 32
>> meg Geforce 2 MX), and it about meets or exceeds the system
>> requirements of the unit. I've read a couple of reviews that praised
>> the DV500's ability to work across a wide spectrum of configurations,
>> from slower systems to faster ones. Also, I'm very comfortable with
>> Adobe Premiere 6.0. Thanks for the mobo heads up. Again, I have a
>> Sony Vaio system, not a custom built one, but I think my mobo may be a
>> compatible one with the DV500. If the site from which I got my mobo
>> model is accurate, I believe this model is a ASUS WMT-LE. One of the
>> compatible ones on the site is a WMT-A. In your opinion, would you say
>> those two are similiar? Lastly, regarding DV Bridges, what are some
>> reliable brands? I believe I recently worked on a system that had a
>> Sony bridge, and it seemed fine. Again, thanks for the information.
>
> I'm afraid that I agree with nappy on this one.

STOP THE PRESSES!

;)

AnthonyR

"Richard Ragon" <bsema04@hananho.com> wrote in message
> mi6agent56@aol.com wrote:
>
>> Hey, thanks for all the replies. To answer your question regarding why
>> i'm interested, the reason I am interested in a DV500 is because my PC
>> is about 3 1/2 years old (Sony Vaio PCV-RX463DS, 1.4 GHZ, 128 RAM, 32
>> meg Geforce 2 MX), and it about meets or exceeds the system
>> requirements of the unit. I've read a couple of reviews that praised
>> the DV500's ability to work across a wide spectrum of configurations,
>> from slower systems to faster ones. Also, I'm very comfortable with
>> Adobe Premiere 6.0. Thanks for the mobo heads up. Again, I have a
>> Sony Vaio system, not a custom built one, but I think my mobo may be a
>> compatible one with the DV500. If the site from which I got my mobo
>> model is accurate, I believe this model is a ASUS WMT-LE. One of the
>> compatible ones on the site is a WMT-A. In your opinion, would you say
>> those two are similiar? Lastly, regarding DV Bridges, what are some
>> reliable brands? I believe I recently worked on a system that had a
>> Sony bridge, and it seemed fine. Again, thanks for the information.
>
> I'm afraid that I agree with nappy on this one. The DV500 has been
> superseded by newer models some time ago. By today's standards it's
> somewhat proprietary too.. It's NOT compatible with Premiere Pro, very
> finicky with various motherboards, and suffers from sound sync problems in
> which Adobe and Pinnacle pointed fingers at one and another for over 3
> years.
>
> Since both Adobe and Pinnacle have since scraped both the hardware and the
> software some years ago, be ready to expect zero support on that system.
>
> A better platform would be a DV bridge like the Canopus ADVC-100 (or the
> one I have ADVC-300).
>
> Save your money and upgrade your computer to a newer computer, forego the
> proprietary capture card and use a DV camera as your bridge, and if your
> just happy with Premiere 6.0, scrap that and get the 79 dollar Premiere
> Elements.
>
> -Richard

This is great advice, spend the money on a dvd bridge that can be used when
you upgrade your computer also.
It will capture audio and video in sync and from my own experience better
than the DV500 ever did.
A product like the ADVC-100 or DataVideo DAC-100 isn't tied to any
particular hardware or software so you won't
outgrow it. I was happy to sell my DV500 years ago on ebay before they were
completey outdated.
AnthonyR.

nap wrote:
> "Richard Ragon" <bsema04@hananho.com> wrote in message
>
>>mi6agent56@aol.com wrote:
>>

>>>Hey, thanks for all the replies. To answer your question regarding why
>>>i'm interested, the reason I am interested in a DV500 is because my PC
>>>is about 3 1/2 years old (Sony Vaio PCV-RX463DS, 1.4 GHZ, 128 RAM, 32
>>>meg Geforce 2 MX), and it about meets or exceeds the system
>>>requirements of the unit. I've read a couple of reviews that praised
>>>the DV500's ability to work across a wide spectrum of configurations,
>>>from slower systems to faster ones. Also, I'm very comfortable with
>>>Adobe Premiere 6.0. Thanks for the mobo heads up. Again, I have a
>>>Sony Vaio system, not a custom built one, but I think my mobo may be a
>>>compatible one with the DV500. If the site from which I got my mobo
>>>model is accurate, I believe this model is a ASUS WMT-LE. One of the
>>>compatible ones on the site is a WMT-A. In your opinion, would you say
>>>those two are similiar? Lastly, regarding DV Bridges, what are some
>>>reliable brands? I believe I recently worked on a system that had a
>>>Sony bridge, and it seemed fine. Again, thanks for the information.
>>
>>I'm afraid that I agree with nappy on this one.
>

> STOP THE PRESSES!
>
> ;)

I was going to also suggest he go with a Mac G5.. but I think I'll take
it a little at a time.

hahaha
-Richard