Ati TV Wonder Guide+ listing without internet

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 7, 2005 11:13:24 AM

Hello,

I just purchased an ati tv wonder tuner.

I thought that the guide+ listings were downloaded automatically
through the cable coax, no internet connection required.

Is this true? Will the guide+ listings appear on the guideplus app
automatically or do I need to connect to the internet?

My guide+ television gets its programming schedules via this manner.
However, the only option I see in the ati software is to download the
listings from the net.

Thanks.
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 6:39:04 PM

"jray75" wrote ...
> I thought that the guide+ listings were downloaded automatically
> through the cable coax, no internet connection required.
>
> Is this true? Will the guide+ listings appear on the guideplus app
> automatically or do I need to connect to the internet?
>
> My guide+ television gets its programming schedules via this manner.
> However, the only option I see in the ati software is to download the
> listings from the net.

Yes, you need to connect to the internet to update your Guide+ listings.
(it's not that bad .. I have dialup and it only takes a few minutes)

Your TV version is likely DIGITAL CABLE TV. If it is, I'm not sure how your
analog AIW card will work, if at all. If you don't have digital cable then
the listings you see on your TV are provided by your cable company directly
(as a regular broadcast) ... OR another option is that your Guide+ TV has a
phone connection and dials up an 800 number in the middle of the night to
get updated.

--
Richard Amirault N1JDU
Boston, MA, USA Go Fly A Kite

In article <1112883204.396803.46920@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
jkolda@gmail.com says...
> Subject: Ati TV Wonder Guide+ listing without internet
> From: "jray75" <jkolda@gmail.com>
> Newsgroups: rec.video.desktop
>
> Hello,
>
> I just purchased an ati tv wonder tuner.
>
> I thought that the guide+ listings were downloaded automatically
> through the cable coax, no internet connection required.
>
> Is this true? Will the guide+ listings appear on the guideplus app
> automatically or do I need to connect to the internet?
>
> My guide+ television gets its programming schedules via this manner.
> However, the only option I see in the ati software is to download the
> listings from the net.
>
> Thanks.

Does your television get the guides or is it your cable box that does
this? I wasn't aware the AIW cards could decode digital cable signals.
--
_________________________
http://www.ramsays-online.com

Thank you for the reply,

No, my cable is not digital. It is the ol' analog.

I know guide+ listings can be pushed out over non-digital cable. It
depends on your provider. I have lived in 3 different towns over the
last decade and guide+ has worked at all 3 places. Even dating back to
the mid 90' prior to digital cable.

I am hoping since my guide+ TV and VCRs can get thier listings over
analog cable the ATI card can as well.

I have this tuner PC set in a storefront display and have no way to get
internet to the PC.

Thanks.
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 5:13:25 PM

I would have to drive a couple hours to do that via disk, the PC will
be at an offsite location... hmm.

Looking for an automated solution

I guess I may have to wire a phone line to that location and get
internet from a local isp

Thanks again.
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 10:16:31 PM

In article <1112975348.794982.256470@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
jkolda@gmail.com says...
> Subject: Re: Ati TV Wonder Guide+ listing without internet
> From: "jray75" <jkolda@gmail.com>
> Newsgroups: rec.video.desktop
>
> Thank you for the reply,
>
> No, my cable is not digital. It is the ol' analog.
>
> I know guide+ listings can be pushed out over non-digital cable. It
> depends on your provider. I have lived in 3 different towns over the
> last decade and guide+ has worked at all 3 places. Even dating back to
> the mid 90' prior to digital cable.
>
> I am hoping since my guide+ TV and VCRs can get thier listings over
> analog cable the ATI card can as well.
>
> I have this tuner PC set in a storefront display and have no way to get
> internet to the PC.
>
> Thanks.

You can probably download it to a file and then put the disk in the
tuner PC every week, I'm not familiar with how the ATI software works
but you could do that with any other PVR app I've used.
--
http://www.ramsays-online.com