Fixing one-channel mono

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 8, 2005 3:25:50 AM

I have burnt a number of my old mono vhs recordings onto dvd+r using a
mono videorecorder, the Pinnacle Movie Box and Pinnacle Studio.
However, I noticed too late that only one audio channel was recorded,
i.e. the sound is coming only from my left speaker. I found out that I
can change the Studio setting from stereo to surround to fix this in
the future, but in the meantime I already have a dozen one-channel
dvd's and I stupidly tossed most of the original tapes.

What would be my best option to fix this? Should I rip the dvd's back
to mpeg or avi, change the setting to surround and render them again?
Can this be done without quality loss or is there another solution?

Thanks for any suggestions.

More about : fixing channel mono

April 8, 2005 3:08:20 PM

roger_delahaye@hotmail.com wrote:
> I have burnt a number of my old mono vhs recordings onto dvd+r using a
> mono videorecorder, the Pinnacle Movie Box and Pinnacle Studio.
> However, I noticed too late that only one audio channel was recorded,
> i.e. the sound is coming only from my left speaker. I found out that I
> can change the Studio setting from stereo to surround to fix this in
> the future, but in the meantime I already have a dozen one-channel
> dvd's and I stupidly tossed most of the original tapes.
>
> What would be my best option to fix this? Should I rip the dvd's back
> to mpeg or avi, change the setting to surround and render them again?
> Can this be done without quality loss or is there another solution?
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.

Dunno about surround being your best choice as best you could do would
be to have the same sound come out of each speaker.

Anywho......You could rip them to MPGs, demux the sound, duplicate the
sound onto two tracks. One full left one full right and reauthor.

Seems less work to simply let your Amplifier do the same thing on the
fly however.
!