MiniDV

What is the best and cheapest way to convert all of my MiniDV to DVD?

How can I scan all of my Photos fast? ( there are 10000 )

soalvajavab1 wrote ...
> What is the best and cheapest way to convert all of
> my MiniDV to DVD?

You will likely have to choose between "best" and
"cheapest". Let us know when you have decided.
There are other questions like how many? Do you
need to do any editing? Titles? Effects? etc. etc. etc.

> How can I scan all of my Photos fast? ( there are 10000 )

Not enough information for this one either. What form
are they in? Negatives? (size?) slides? prints? (size?)
what kind of resolution are you needing? How much
dust/scratch removal? etc. etc. etc. There are likely
photography newsgroups where this question would
get better responses.

Richard Crowley wrote:
> soalvajavab1 wrote ...
> > What is the best and cheapest way to convert all of
> > my MiniDV to DVD?
>
> You will likely have to choose between "best" and
> "cheapest". Let us know when you have decided.
> There are other questions like how many? Do you
> need to do any editing? Titles? Effects? etc. etc. etc.
>
> > How can I scan all of my Photos fast? ( there are 10000 )
>
> Not enough information for this one either. What form
> are they in? Negatives? (size?) slides? prints? (size?)
> what kind of resolution are you needing? How much
> dust/scratch removal? etc. etc. etc. There are likely
> photography newsgroups where this question would
> get better responses.

How many Minidv tapes do you need to convert ?

You can buy software and hardware that would let you capture from your
video recorder, edit and compile a DVD but you need time to learn what
you need to do and time to actually do it. Cost starts I think around
$150 for pinnacle with hardware capture board.

With photos, assuming you have prints you would need a flatbed scanner
and photo editor software.

lay out your photos on the scanner bed, scan a full page, then cut and
save each picture.

I have LOTS of printed photos 4x6 and 5x8 and want to have
scan/digital them to my laptop. Putting one by one in a flat scanner
takes a loing tiem. any other solution? how about removing dust?
thanks guys

marks542004@yahoo.com wrote in message news:<1113057042.173684.277450@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>...
> Richard Crowley wrote:
> > soalvajavab1 wrote ...
> > > What is the best and cheapest way to convert all of
> > > my MiniDV to DVD?
> >
> > You will likely have to choose between "best" and
> > "cheapest". Let us know when you have decided.
> > There are other questions like how many? Do you
> > need to do any editing? Titles? Effects? etc. etc. etc.
> >
> > > How can I scan all of my Photos fast? ( there are 10000 )
> >
> > Not enough information for this one either. What form
> > are they in? Negatives? (size?) slides? prints? (size?)
> > what kind of resolution are you needing? How much
> > dust/scratch removal? etc. etc. etc. There are likely
> > photography newsgroups where this question would
> > get better responses.
>
> How many Minidv tapes do you need to convert ?
>
> You can buy software and hardware that would let you capture from your
> video recorder, edit and compile a DVD but you need time to learn what
> you need to do and time to actually do it. Cost starts I think around
> $150 for pinnacle with hardware capture board.
>
> With photos, assuming you have prints you would need a flatbed scanner
> and photo editor software.
>
> lay out your photos on the scanner bed, scan a full page, then cut and
> save each picture.

"David McGeorge" wrote ...
>I have LOTS of printed photos 4x6 and 5x8 and want to have
> scan/digital them to my laptop. Putting one by one in a flat scanner
> takes a loing tiem. any other solution? how about removing dust?
> thanks guys

There are some auto-feed scanners around. Whether it
is worth it to rent/hire/acquire one is your judgement call.

"Lots" could be 50 to one person and 50,000 to another.
Clearly different solutions suggestions for 50 vs 50,000.

Dust on prints is unlikely to be the same kind of problem as
it is with negatives and/or slides.

You don't have the negatives/transparencies available for
these prints. There are lots of places where you can send
negatives and/or slides for automated scanning and get the
images back on a "Photo-Disc". Maybe there are even
services like this avilable for prints in your area?

"David McGeorge" <soalvajavab1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have LOTS of printed photos 4x6 and 5x8 and want to have
> scan/digital them to my laptop. Putting one by one in a flat scanner
> takes a loing tiem. any other solution? how about removing dust?
> thanks guys

I can't help too much with the dust but I can tell you that Photoshop CS has
a great scan and separate function that will scan, separate and straighten
any pictures in a scan area.

So you can pretty much just toss as many pics as fit on the scanner and when
you scan them PS will see the edges, separate the pics, straighten them, and
save the different files.

Of course it costs $650 on the Adobe site. You might find it for ~$500
somewhere.
But, then again, you were talking about 10,000 pics. So, how much is it
worth to you?

Tom P.

> What is the best and cheapest way to convert all of my MiniDV to DVD?

Pioneer DVR-220-S or DVR-330-S DVD recorder deck for TV starting at
$200 at walmart.com stores. (DVR-220-S tested to have the 'best' video
quality out of the cheap-end decks at www.videohelp.com forum posts; 330
should be similar.) A very reliable, stable, easy-to-use deck.

Simply plug in camcorder, press play. Then press record on deck
after inserting a blank DVD, and wait until the tape reaches the end.
(330 is even easier - it has DV input jack and can control the camcorder.)

Simple, cheap, works very well - no PC, tweaking, compressing,
waiting, etc. involved. Very good video quality, quick & easy (in XP or
SP modes).

---

Otherwise, for the 'best' way to convert - ie. highest quality -
www.videohelp.com & www.deja.com for very long threads on this through a
PC. Expect 4-6+ hours per 1 hour of video this method on a 3Ghz PC for
the usual post-processing, cleanup, two pass encoding, burning, etc.
Very time intensive.

for the photos, fastest way is to have a two lamp setup angled at 45
degrees off vertical on either side of the photo, with a digital camera
setup looking straight at the photo below. swap in new photo, press
shutter button, picutre is converted to digital, next! cycle time of <3
seconds per photo if you're quick at it, and very easy to do.

You'll want a digicam that can focus that close and/or have macro
focusing + manual focusing, and have manual white balance and exposure
controls to lock everything in.

Fastest for 10,000 prints short of outsourcing this to a scanning lab
that'll do them fast (lots of people & scanners at once).

---

Otherwise, one of those auto-feed Epson or HP scanners with photo print
feed slots.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=48302407
Epson Perfection 2480

but these usually won't do larger than 4x6"

---