OLY C750 focus problems

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
August 24, 2005 2:55:08 PM

Having problems getting in-focus pix with a year-old Olympus C750 Ultra
Zoom.

First issue is that it seems to take a long time to focus - point/shoot is
not an option - more like point/press/wait/wait/shoot - takes a long time
for the lens to find the focus, even for a relatively simple shot with lots
of contrasting areas to assist with the focus.

Second issue is that there are time, especially in moderate light, that it
will not focus at all. The green light keeps blinking for 5+ seconds 'till
I end up taking the shot and praying that it was close. Some times it is in
focus, sometimes a little fuzzy.

Any settings I can change? Other suggestions?

Thanks in advance - J
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 9:49:58 PM

"JCS" <j.stillings@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Having problems getting in-focus pix with a year-old Olympus C750 Ultra
> Zoom.
>
> First issue is that it seems to take a long time to focus - point/shoot is
> not an option - more like point/press/wait/wait/shoot - takes a long time
> for the lens to find the focus, even for a relatively simple shot with
> lots of contrasting areas to assist with the focus.
>
> Second issue is that there are time, especially in moderate light, that it
> will not focus at all. The green light keeps blinking for 5+ seconds
> 'till I end up taking the shot and praying that it was close. Some times
> it is in focus, sometimes a little fuzzy.
>
> Any settings I can change? Other suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance - J

No real ideas, just some things you might try to see if the problem is the
camera or you shaking the camera or not enough light.

If the Autofocus takes a long time, try Manual focus. Or maybe some other
setting.
For some tips read Pages 72-78 in the C750UZ Reference Manual.
http://www.olympusamerica.com/files/C750UZ_Ref_Eng.pdf
You must have Adobe Acrobat Reader for the above.

First put the camera on a tripod or something solid to eliminate the shake.
Next make sure you are using freshly charged NiMh batteries. (Alkaline
batteries are not good enough).
Be sure you are shooting outdoors so you have enough light, and are not in a
dark room.

Another thing don't shoot objects that are too close, The lens can not focus
any closer than 2 meters in telephoto and 0.6 meter in wide angle. The near
focus distance depends on the zoom setting. 2 meters=6.56 feet and 0.6
meters=1.968 feet (2 feet)

For close objects, you have go to Macro mode.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

> First issue is that it seems to take a long time to focus

CSM1 has given an excellent answer. There is one more thing you can try. On
the Menu, go to Camera, AF Mode. Change the setting from iESP to Spot. On my
camera, I have this as the default setting in My Mode (which I use all the
time). See also page 49 in the manual for focusing issues.

> Second issue is that there are time, especially in moderate light, that it
> will not focus at all.

Common problem with most compact problems. On cameras that a AF Assist lamp,
it only works for 3 to 4 metres. Not much use for sunsets. Use manual focus.
It works very well and is easy to use.

I have found that the auto focus is pretty good. However, I often use manual
focus. It greatly reduces time between shots. Learn how to use it. A useful
tip hidden away in the manual can be found on page 78, tip 2.

Malcolm
!