Virtual dub & deinterlace

Following the 100fps.com guide, I really get quite good results using the VD
Smooth Deinterlace plugin filter (better than the garbage produced by
Premiere's Deinterlace). I'm using camcorder DV footage. But these are the
two issues:

-Is there a way to just deinterlace without re-encoding? 'Direct stream
copy' will output the half-height fields but that's it. I don't like to
have to choose the DV codec again but maybe it's necessary?

-WMP9, BSPlayer (in WindowsMe) don't seem to actually play 60fps. In
Properties, they do show the footage as being 60, but seem to just play 30
(29.whatever). Do I need some special player? Though it looks fine even at
30.

"J" <speechee2@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> -Is there a way to just deinterlace without re-encoding?
Unfortunately not - you need to re-encode it.

> -WMP9, BSPlayer (in WindowsMe) don't seem to actually play 60fps. In
> Properties, they do show the footage as being 60, but seem to just play 30
> (29.whatever). Do I need some special player? Though it looks fine even
at
> 30.

They'll all play anything from 24 to 60 - just ignore any wrong info they
give you.

regards

Simon