Canon A95 Video lead etc.

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Does anyone have the wiring details for the above lead? Any info would be
much appreciated. I know that one end terminates in two RCA (Phono) plugs,
and I assume that the other end is a 3.5mm stereo jack plug, but it would
be good to know for sure, and also how the jack is wired (My guess would be
video to tip, audio on ring, and sleeve as common ground, but I don't want
the possibility however slight of damaging the camera by experimenting.)

I bought an ex-display A95 at a very good discount, but it came without box
or accessories. The manual and drivers (not that I need the latter with XP)
were easy - download from Canon USA, and most of the rest of the stuff in
the box isn't really necessary, but it would be nice to have the facility
to show pictures direct onto a TV for those odd occasions when there's no
PC at hand.

Thanks in advance.

Richard

bill

Sorry can't help you but I sure love to know where you bought the A95
at a big discount.

Thanks.

Bill

poston8 [@] comcast.net

"Richard" <rfjoyner@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone have the wiring details for the above lead? Any info would be
> much appreciated. I know that one end terminates in two RCA (Phono) plugs,
> and I assume that the other end is a 3.5mm stereo jack plug, but it would
> be good to know for sure, and also how the jack is wired (My guess would
> be
> video to tip, audio on ring, and sleeve as common ground, but I don't want
> the possibility however slight of damaging the camera by experimenting.)
>
> I bought an ex-display A95 at a very good discount, but it came without
> box
> or accessories. The manual and drivers (not that I need the latter with
> XP)
> were easy - download from Canon USA, and most of the rest of the stuff in
> the box isn't really necessary, but it would be nice to have the facility
> to show pictures direct onto a TV for those odd occasions when there's no
> PC at hand.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Richard

Not much chance of damaging the camera by trying the plug, there is no
voltage there except the video signal and audio signal. (It there is, it is
not the right connection).

There are only two sizes of Mini stereo plugs. 1/8 inch (3 mm) and 3/32
inch. (2.5 mm).

Why not try making up a cable with your connections.
You would very quickly find out that the Audio is on one RCA plug and the
Video is on the Other RCA plug.

You can be reasonably sure that the Sleeve is ground (common). That leaves
only which is Audio and which is Video.
If you plug the one that is video into an audio amplifier you will a buzzing
sound from the speaker. Switch plugs.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Bill,

Sorry, I can't help you either as my camera was the last one in the shop.
It was from a UK store called Comet who have discontinued the A95 from
their range, presumably to make way for the newer A5xx range. I don't
usually buy ex-display models of anything because you never know what has
been done to them, but this had been locked away in a glass case. Because
it was the display model the store had lost the box and accessories - hence
my question.

I had only dropped in there because I'd been to the DIY store next door and
had some time to kill, so you never know what you might find. Best of luck
finding your own end of line bargain!

Richard

Bill <poston8@(nospam)comcast.net> wrote in

> Sorry can't help you but I sure love to know where you bought the A95
> at a big discount.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Bill
>
> poston8 [@] comcast.net
>

> On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 13:30:21 -0500, Richard
> <rfjoyner@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Does anyone have the wiring details for the above lead? Any info would
>>be much appreciated. I know that one end terminates in two RCA (Phono)
>>plugs, and I assume that the other end is a 3.5mm stereo jack plug,
>>but it would be good to know for sure, and also how the jack is wired
>>(My guess would be video to tip, audio on ring, and sleeve as common
>>ground, but I don't want the possibility however slight of damaging
>>the camera by experimenting.)
>>
>>I bought an ex-display A95 at a very good discount, but it came
>>without box or accessories. The manual and drivers (not that I need
>>the latter with XP) were easy - download from Canon USA, and most of
>>the rest of the stuff in the box isn't really necessary, but it would
>>be nice to have the facility to show pictures direct onto a TV for
>>those odd occasions when there's no PC at hand.
>>
>>Thanks in advance.
>>
>>Richard

bill

Richard,

Thanks. Just happens I'll be in the UK next month so I'll take a look
at the Comet stores. I might be lucky. I'm just looking for a cheap
backup camera but I want to stay with the Canon Powershot A series.

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 01:50:25 -0500, Richard

"" wrote:
> Does anyone have the wiring details for the above lead? Any
> info would be
> much appreciated. I know that one end terminates in two RCA
> (Phono) plugs,
> and I assume that the other end is a 3.5mm stereo jack plug,
> but it would
> be good to know for sure, and also how the jack is wired (My
> guess would be
> video to tip, audio on ring, and sleeve as common ground, but
> I don't want
> the possibility however slight of damaging the camera by
> experimenting.)
>
> I bought an ex-display A95 at a very good discount, but it
> came without box
> or accessories. The manual and drivers (not that I need the
> latter with XP)
> were easy - download from Canon USA, and most of the rest of
> the stuff in
> the box isn't really necessary, but it would be nice to have
> the facility
> to show pictures direct onto a TV for those odd occasions when
> there's no
> PC at hand.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Richard

It appears to be a standard 1/8" stereo to dual rca like you use for
hooking a portable to your home stereo. video is yellow and audio
white. It came with my Canon G5, Minolta s304 , and Sony handicam

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Digital-Cameras-Canon-A95-Video-lead-ftopict61030.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=308690