Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Remote Deskop Connection works ok, then disconnects, can't..

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
April 25, 2005 1:01:21 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

I broke my elbow a few weeks ago, so I have been accessing my home
desktop using RDC from my laptop (both XP Pro). This worked really well
for a couple of weeks, but recently I've found that if my connection
drops for some reason (hibernation of laptop, etc.), I have to reboot
the machine I'm connecting to before I can connect again. The error I
get is "Remote Desktop Disconnected", and the text in the box says "The
client could not establish a connection to the remote computer" with a
bunch of choices such as remote connections not enabled, maximum # of
connections exceeded at remote computer, and a network error occurred.

My network is otherwise working fine. I can ping the remote system, and
if I reboot it, I can connect again. Any suggestions? Is it possible
that Windows is not closing the connection properly? Is there a way to
increase the maximum # of connections on the remote system? Please, no
advice on checking to see if RDC is working properly; as I said, it
worked fine for a couple of weeks and still works ok now, except once I
get disconnected.

Bill
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 9:48:18 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

There are Group Policies that define idle session timeouts and when to disconnect them...

Have you looked at the Group Policies. Run gpedit.msc on the Remote Desktop host machine and
navigate to the Local Computer Policy | Computer Configuration | Administrative Templates | Windows
Components | Terminal Services | Sessions policies.

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights...


"Bill" <billrubin@prodigy.net> wrote in message news:ul7qDJTSFHA.904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>I broke my elbow a few weeks ago, so I have been accessing my home desktop using RDC from my laptop
>(both XP Pro). This worked really well for a couple of weeks, but recently I've found that if my
>connection drops for some reason (hibernation of laptop, etc.), I have to reboot the machine I'm
>connecting to before I can connect again. The error I get is "Remote Desktop Disconnected", and the
>text in the box says "The client could not establish a connection to the remote computer" with a
>bunch of choices such as remote connections not enabled, maximum # of connections exceeded at
>remote computer, and a network error occurred.
>
> My network is otherwise working fine. I can ping the remote system, and if I reboot it, I can
> connect again. Any suggestions? Is it possible that Windows is not closing the connection
> properly? Is there a way to increase the maximum # of connections on the remote system? Please, no
> advice on checking to see if RDC is working properly; as I said, it worked fine for a couple of
> weeks and still works ok now, except once I get disconnected.
>
> Bill
April 26, 2005 2:26:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Sooner Al [MVP] wrote:
> There are Group Policies that define idle session timeouts and when to disconnect them...
>
> Have you looked at the Group Policies. Run gpedit.msc on the Remote Desktop host machine and
> navigate to the Local Computer Policy | Computer Configuration | Administrative Templates | Windows
> Components | Terminal Services | Sessions policies.

Thanks for the pointer. I checked and none of those are configured,
which should mean that I don't get disconnected at all. Is it possible
that if I have something else running that has a lot of connections that
RDC could be unable to get the resources to create the connection when I
try to reconnect?

Bill
Related resources
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 2:19:15 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Bill:

Are you running Spy Sweeper on the remote computer? If so, please read my
post in this newsgroup on April 26:

news:<116tt86i8dkscda@corp.supernews.com>

Hope this helps.

"Bill" <billrubin@prodigy.net> wrote in message
news:ul7qDJTSFHA.904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>I broke my elbow a few weeks ago, so I have been accessing my home desktop
>using RDC from my laptop (both XP Pro). This worked really well for a
>couple of weeks, but recently I've found that if my connection drops for
>some reason (hibernation of laptop, etc.), I have to reboot the machine I'm
>connecting to before I can connect again. The error I get is "Remote
>Desktop Disconnected", and the text in the box says "The client could not
>establish a connection to the remote computer" with a bunch of choices such
>as remote connections not enabled, maximum # of connections exceeded at
>remote computer, and a network error occurred.
>
> My network is otherwise working fine. I can ping the remote system, and if
> I reboot it, I can connect again. Any suggestions? Is it possible that
> Windows is not closing the connection properly? Is there a way to increase
> the maximum # of connections on the remote system? Please, no advice on
> checking to see if RDC is working properly; as I said, it worked fine for
> a couple of weeks and still works ok now, except once I get disconnected.
>
> Bill
May 4, 2005 4:10:07 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Interesting.. yes, I am running Spy Sweeper on that machine. I tried
shutting it down but still could not reconnect but will definitely look
into that. BTW, there is a beta of the new version of Spy Sweeper
available for public use, go to the "update program" option and it will
pull up the page. I wonder if they fixed the problem there.

Bill

Sid Joyner wrote:
> Bill:
>
> Are you running Spy Sweeper on the remote computer? If so, please read my
> post in this newsgroup on April 26:
>
> news:<116tt86i8dkscda@corp.supernews.com>
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> "Bill" <billrubin@prodigy.net> wrote in message
> news:ul7qDJTSFHA.904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>
>>I broke my elbow a few weeks ago, so I have been accessing my home desktop
>>using RDC from my laptop (both XP Pro). This worked really well for a
>>couple of weeks, but recently I've found that if my connection drops for
>>some reason (hibernation of laptop, etc.), I have to reboot the machine I'm
>>connecting to before I can connect again. The error I get is "Remote
>>Desktop Disconnected", and the text in the box says "The client could not
>>establish a connection to the remote computer" with a bunch of choices such
>>as remote connections not enabled, maximum # of connections exceeded at
>>remote computer, and a network error occurred.
>>
>>My network is otherwise working fine. I can ping the remote system, and if
>>I reboot it, I can connect again. Any suggestions? Is it possible that
>>Windows is not closing the connection properly? Is there a way to increase
>>the maximum # of connections on the remote system? Please, no advice on
>>checking to see if RDC is working properly; as I said, it worked fine for
>>a couple of weeks and still works ok now, except once I get disconnected.
>>
>>Bill
>
>
>
>
!