New pc in network - RD not working

After a substantial period of trial and error, I finally got my RD working
last year and it worked flawlessly for about 15 months. However, after
adding a new pc to my home network, it won't work at all:

Network pcs are Dell laptop, Gateway desktop and Dell Desktop (the new one).
The laptop and Gateway desktop are now relegated to my two children and the
Dell desktop has become the main pc of the workgroup. File sharing, print
sharing, etc. all run fine. But, for the life of me, I can't get RD to work.
This is what DOES work - the new Dell WILL connect to my former main pc, the
Gateway desktop, via remote desktop, in-network. But I can't get the 2 other
network pcs to hook up to the new main pc via RD. And no remote pcs can get
through via RD either.

Tonight I thought I had the solution because I had neglected to install
Remote Desktop web connection. So I went 5 deep into the nested menus and
installed it, made sure the Anonymous Access box was checked and giddily
rebooted, had my girlfriend reboot and NOTHING...still no connection.

In System Properties | Remote - Remote Desktop is enabled
My Linksys router has port 3389 pointing to the appropriate IP address

Is there something I have to do to get my new Dell recognized as the "main"
pc of the workgroup? Should I rename the new Dell and give it the name of
the Gateway (the former main pc)? Does naming have anything at all to do
with this?

--

Tom Richards
tom@webhandprintSPAM.com

This page has troubleshooting information that may help...

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Tom Richards" <email@brainsturgeon.com> wrote in message
> After a substantial period of trial and error, I finally got my RD working last year and it worked
> flawlessly for about 15 months. However, after adding a new pc to my home network, it won't work
> at all:
>
> Network pcs are Dell laptop, Gateway desktop and Dell Desktop (the new one). The laptop and
> Gateway desktop are now relegated to my two children and the Dell desktop has become the main pc
> of the workgroup. File sharing, print sharing, etc. all run fine. But, for the life of me, I can't
> get RD to work. This is what DOES work - the new Dell WILL connect to my former main pc, the
> Gateway desktop, via remote desktop, in-network. But I can't get the 2 other network pcs to hook
> up to the new main pc via RD. And no remote pcs can get through via RD either.
>
> Tonight I thought I had the solution because I had neglected to install Remote Desktop web
> connection. So I went 5 deep into the nested menus and installed it, made sure the Anonymous
> Access box was checked and giddily rebooted, had my girlfriend reboot and NOTHING...still no
> connection.
>
> In System Properties | Remote - Remote Desktop is enabled
> My Linksys router has port 3389 pointing to the appropriate IP address
>
> Is there something I have to do to get my new Dell recognized as the "main" pc of the workgroup?
> Should I rename the new Dell and give it the name of the Gateway (the former main pc)? Does naming
> have anything at all to do with this?
>
> --
>
> Tom Richards
> tom@webhandprintSPAM.com
> http://webhandprint.com
> http://brainsturgeon.com

Thank you Al. I've been troubleshooting based on the info contained at that
link and I'be been going step by step.

2 things are amiss:

1) I can't access my main (new) pc via RD from either of the other 2
workgroup pcs using the basic IP address. That was one of the first things
recommended to try.

2) Even though my port 3389 shows as "Listening" when I run the netstat
query...
===================================
TCP DellDesktop:3389 DellDesktop:0 LISTENING
===================================
....after installing the Port Query tool and manually querying 3389, it shows
as "Not Listening." Here's the exact report:
===================================
Starting portqry.exe -n DellDesktop -e 3389 -p TCP ...
Querying target system called:
DellDesktop
Attempting to resolve name to IP address...
Name resolved to 192.168.1.101
querying...
TCP port 3389 (unknown service): NOT LISTENING
portqry.exe -n DellDesktop -e 3389 -p TCP exits with return code 0x00000001.
===================================
Are there enough clues now for a fix or workaround?

--

Tom Richards
tom@webhandprintSPAM.com

> This page has troubleshooting information that may help...
>
> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooting.html
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> benefit of all of us...
> rights...
>

> "Tom Richards" <email@brainsturgeon.com> wrote in message
>> After a substantial period of trial and error, I finally got my RD
>> working last year and it worked flawlessly for about 15 months. However,
>> after adding a new pc to my home network, it won't work at all:
>>
>> Network pcs are Dell laptop, Gateway desktop and Dell Desktop (the new
>> one). The laptop and Gateway desktop are now relegated to my two children
>> and the Dell desktop has become the main pc of the workgroup. File
>> sharing, print sharing, etc. all run fine. But, for the life of me, I
>> can't get RD to work. This is what DOES work - the new Dell WILL connect
>> to my former main pc, the Gateway desktop, via remote desktop,
>> in-network. But I can't get the 2 other network pcs to hook up to the new
>> main pc via RD. And no remote pcs can get through via RD either.
>>
>> Tonight I thought I had the solution because I had neglected to install
>> Remote Desktop web connection. So I went 5 deep into the nested menus and
>> installed it, made sure the Anonymous Access box was checked and giddily
>> rebooted, had my girlfriend reboot and NOTHING...still no connection.
>>
>> In System Properties | Remote - Remote Desktop is enabled
>> My Linksys router has port 3389 pointing to the appropriate IP address
>>
>> Is there something I have to do to get my new Dell recognized as the
>> "main" pc of the workgroup? Should I rename the new Dell and give it the
>> name of the Gateway (the former main pc)? Does naming have anything at
>> all to do with this?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Tom Richards
>> tom@webhandprintSPAM.com
>> http://webhandprint.com
>> http://brainsturgeon.com

Are you running any personal firewall software, like the XP SP2 Windows Firewall, on the PC?

Are you running any anti-virus/Trojan software like NAV 2005 on the PC? There have been reports that
NAV 2005 worm protection kills Remote Desktop connections if its running on the RDP host PC.

--

>>> http://webhandprint.com
>>> http://brainsturgeon.com

I disabled Norton 2005 Worm protection and am now able to connect with my
lan. But not remotely. I use Zone Alarm Pro with the 3389 port allowed and
forwarded through my linksys router. I've tried turning off ZA too with no
success. Windows firewall is disabled.

I'm flummoxed because these same settings worked for months. But I guess
there's something about bringing a new pc into the mix, something I'm
missing.

--

Tom Richards
tom@webhandprintSPAM.com

> Are you running any personal firewall software, like the XP SP2 Windows
> Firewall, on the PC?
>
> Are you running any anti-virus/Trojan software like NAV 2005 on the PC?
> There have been reports that NAV 2005 worm protection kills Remote Desktop
> connections if its running on the RDP host PC.
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> benefit of all of us...
> rights...
>

> "Tom Richards" <email@brainsturgeon.com> wrote in message
>> Thank you Al. I've been troubleshooting based on the info contained at
>> that link and I'be been going step by step.
>>
>> 2 things are amiss:
>>
>> 1) I can't access my main (new) pc via RD from either of the other 2
>> workgroup pcs using the basic IP address. That was one of the first
>> things recommended to try.
>>
>> 2) Even though my port 3389 shows as "Listening" when I run the netstat
>> query...
>> ===================================
>> TCP DellDesktop:3389 DellDesktop:0 LISTENING
>> ===================================
>> ...after installing the Port Query tool and manually querying 3389, it
>> shows as "Not Listening." Here's the exact report:
>> ===================================
>> Starting portqry.exe -n DellDesktop -e 3389 -p TCP ...
>> Querying target system called:
>> DellDesktop
>> Attempting to resolve name to IP address...
>> Name resolved to 192.168.1.101
>> querying...
>> TCP port 3389 (unknown service): NOT LISTENING
>> portqry.exe -n DellDesktop -e 3389 -p TCP exits with return code
>> 0x00000001.
>> ===================================
>> Are there enough clues now for a fix or workaround?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Tom Richards
>> tom@webhandprintSPAM.com
>> http://webhandprint.com
>> http://brainsturgeon.com
>>

>> "Sooner Al [MVP]" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
>>> This page has troubleshooting information that may help...
>>>
>>> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooting.html
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
>>>
>>> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual
>>> benefit of all of us...
>>> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>>> rights...
>>>

>>> "Tom Richards" <email@brainsturgeon.com> wrote in message

Did you see this post from yesterday? Its possible this is the root cause of your new issue...

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely/browse_thread/thread/7a8406b7ded135bf/4b69bbbd11cbefbe?q=group:*.work_remotely+author:Sooner+author:Al&rnum=5&hl=en#4b69bbbd11cbefbe

Also see this recent thread for a possible solution...

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely/browse_thread/thread/6bc536b273d55441/25706322dacb2259?q=group:*.work_remotely+author:Sooner+author:Al&rnum=6&hl=en#25706322dacb2259

Also, make sure that port forwarding through the router is working as advertised. Run the
http://www.canyouseeme.org test from the RDP host PC...

--

>>> http://webhandprint.com
>>> http://brainsturgeon.com
>>>

>>> "Sooner Al [MVP]" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message

Hi Al,

Thnak you for finding that MS fix. I contacted MS, downloaded the fix,
installed it and am still experiencing the same issues. I also verified that
Port 3389 is indeed open with the tool you sent me.

I'm going to try to re-test remotely later this morning and will keep you
apprised. Incidentally, I'm using dyndns.org and Direct Update to keep my IP
updated. If you would be available and wouldn't mind, I was wondering if
you'd be willing to help me troubleshoot later this evening. I could give
you my dyndns address and you could attempt connecting. If that's against
your policy, I completely understand and thank you for following this thread
through.

Tom

--

Tom Richards
tom@webhandprintSPAM.com

> Did you see this post from yesterday? Its possible this is the root cause
> of your new issue...
>
> http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely/browse_thread/thread/7a8406b7ded135bf/4b69bbbd11cbefbe?q=group:*.work_remotely+author:Sooner+author:Al&rnum=5&hl=en#4b69bbbd11cbefbe
>
> Also see this recent thread for a possible solution...
>
> http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely/browse_thread/thread/6bc536b273d55441/25706322dacb2259?q=group:*.work_remotely+author:Sooner+author:Al&rnum=6&hl=en#25706322dacb2259
>
> Also, make sure that port forwarding through the router is working as
> advertised. Run the http://www.canyouseeme.org test from the RDP host
> PC...
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> benefit of all of us...
> rights...
>

> "Tom Richards" <email@brainsturgeon.com> wrote in message
>>I disabled Norton 2005 Worm protection and am now able to connect with my
>>lan. But not remotely. I use Zone Alarm Pro with the 3389 port allowed and
>>forwarded through my linksys router. I've tried turning off ZA too with no
>>success. Windows firewall is disabled.
>>
>> I'm flummoxed because these same settings worked for months. But I guess
>> there's something about bringing a new pc into the mix, something I'm
>> missing.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Tom Richards
>> tom@webhandprintSPAM.com
>> http://webhandprint.com
>> http://brainsturgeon.com
>>

>> "Sooner Al [MVP]" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
>>> Are you running any personal firewall software, like the XP SP2 Windows
>>> Firewall, on the PC?
>>>
>>> Are you running any anti-virus/Trojan software like NAV 2005 on the PC?
>>> There have been reports that NAV 2005 worm protection kills Remote
>>> Desktop connections if its running on the RDP host PC.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
>>>
>>> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual
>>> benefit of all of us...
>>> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>>> rights...
>>>

>>> "Tom Richards" <email@brainsturgeon.com> wrote in message

If you go to either the http://www.whatismyip.com or http://www.dslreports.com/whois and compare the
reported address by doing a nslookup command on your dyndns.org alias, are the addresses the same?

Go to "Start | Run", type cmd then at the command line run:

nslookup your.dyndns.org.address

The dyndns.org address should resolve to the same IP as reported by the two URLs...

--

> Hi Al,
>
> Thnak you for finding that MS fix. I contacted MS, downloaded the fix, installed it and am still
> experiencing the same issues. I also verified that Port 3389 is indeed open with the tool you sent
> me.
>
> I'm going to try to re-test remotely later this morning and will keep you apprised. Incidentally,
> I'm using dyndns.org and Direct Update to keep my IP updated. If you would be available and
> wouldn't mind, I was wondering if you'd be willing to help me troubleshoot later this evening. I
> could give you my dyndns address and you could attempt connecting. If that's against your policy,
> I completely understand and thank you for following this thread through.
>
> Tom
>
> --
>
> Tom Richards
> tom@webhandprintSPAM.com
> http://webhandprint.com
> http://brainsturgeon.com

No, they don't match.

--

Tom Richards
tom@webhandprintSPAM.com

> If you go to either the http://www.whatismyip.com or
> http://www.dslreports.com/whois and compare the reported address by doing
> a nslookup command on your dyndns.org alias, are the addresses the same?
>
> Go to "Start | Run", type cmd then at the command line run:
>
> nslookup your.dyndns.org.address
>
> The dyndns.org address should resolve to the same IP as reported by the
> two URLs...
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> benefit of all of us...
> rights...
>

> "Tom Richards" <email@brainsturgeon.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Al,
>>
>> Thnak you for finding that MS fix. I contacted MS, downloaded the fix,
>> installed it and am still experiencing the same issues. I also verified
>> that Port 3389 is indeed open with the tool you sent me.
>>
>> I'm going to try to re-test remotely later this morning and will keep you
>> apprised. Incidentally, I'm using dyndns.org and Direct Update to keep my
>> IP updated. If you would be available and wouldn't mind, I was wondering
>> if you'd be willing to help me troubleshoot later this evening. I could
>> give you my dyndns address and you could attempt connecting. If that's
>> against your policy, I completely understand and thank you for following
>> this thread through.
>>
>> Tom
>>
>> --
>>
>> Tom Richards
>> tom@webhandprintSPAM.com
>> http://webhandprint.com
>> http://brainsturgeon.com

Right, they don't match and when I try to connect in network with the
correct IP, it connects ok. But again - that's from within my LAN. Somehow
my DU settings are hosed.

--

Tom Richards
tom@webhandprintSPAM.com
http://webhandprint.com
http://brainsturgeon.com

> If you go to either the http://www.whatismyip.com or
> http://www.dslreports.com/whois and compare the reported address by doing
> a nslookup command on your dyndns.org alias, are the addresses the same?
>
> Go to "Start | Run", type cmd then at the command line run:
>
> nslookup your.dyndns.org.address
>
> The dyndns.org address should resolve to the same IP as reported by the
> two URLs...
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> benefit of all of us...
> rights...
>

> "Tom Richards" <email@brainsturgeon.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Al,
>>
>> Thnak you for finding that MS fix. I contacted MS, downloaded the fix,
>> installed it and am still experiencing the same issues. I also verified
>> that Port 3389 is indeed open with the tool you sent me.
>>
>> I'm going to try to re-test remotely later this morning and will keep you
>> apprised. Incidentally, I'm using dyndns.org and Direct Update to keep my
>> IP updated. If you would be available and wouldn't mind, I was wondering
>> if you'd be willing to help me troubleshoot later this evening. I could
>> give you my dyndns address and you could attempt connecting. If that's
>> against your policy, I completely understand and thank you for following
>> this thread through.
>>
>> Tom
>>
>> --
>>
>> Tom Richards
>> tom@webhandprintSPAM.com
>> http://webhandprint.com
>> http://brainsturgeon.com

Our long national nightmare is over!!!! My girlfriend was just able to
connect via RD from her home using the correct IP address! So it's just a
matter of me fixing DU and/or dyndns.org. Thank you, Al, for your help. I've
discovered through this whole process that I had become very dependent on a
functioning RD system for my main business and side businesses. Thanks
again!

Tom

--

Tom Richards
tom@webhandprintSPAM.com
http://webhandprint.com
http://brainsturgeon.com

> If you go to either the http://www.whatismyip.com or
> http://www.dslreports.com/whois and compare the reported address by doing
> a nslookup command on your dyndns.org alias, are the addresses the same?
>
> Go to "Start | Run", type cmd then at the command line run:
>
> nslookup your.dyndns.org.address
>
> The dyndns.org address should resolve to the same IP as reported by the
> two URLs...
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> benefit of all of us...
> rights...
>

> "Tom Richards" <email@brainsturgeon.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Al,
>>
>> Thnak you for finding that MS fix. I contacted MS, downloaded the fix,
>> installed it and am still experiencing the same issues. I also verified
>> that Port 3389 is indeed open with the tool you sent me.
>>
>> I'm going to try to re-test remotely later this morning and will keep you
>> apprised. Incidentally, I'm using dyndns.org and Direct Update to keep my
>> IP updated. If you would be available and wouldn't mind, I was wondering
>> if you'd be willing to help me troubleshoot later this evening. I could
>> give you my dyndns address and you could attempt connecting. If that's
>> against your policy, I completely understand and thank you for following
>> this thread through.
>>
>> Tom
>>
>> --
>>
>> Tom Richards
>> tom@webhandprintSPAM.com
>> http://webhandprint.com
>> http://brainsturgeon.com

Glad to hear you found the problem.

If you can't get dyndns to work you might look at No-IP.com. I use that service to access my home
LAN via a SSH tunnel.

Good luck...

--

>>> http://webhandprint.com
>>> http://brainsturgeon.com

Al,

Well, I can't seem to resolve this issue. Direct Update is indeed reporting
the IP address that is appearing on my linksys wireless router's status page
to my dyndns account. But that address differs from the one gleened by using
"nslookup my account.dyndns.org" at the command line. I'm pulling what
little hair I have left out. Now neither of the other workgroup pcs can
connect through RD even with the correct IP.

At my dyndns services page it lists the accurate IP as "IP in Database/DNS:"
Then just below that it lists the IP my router status page is reporting (the
one that doesn't work) as "New IP address: This is the IP address that your
browser is reporting and may or may not be the same IP address currently in
DNS." Arghhh....I'm lost.

--

Tom Richards
tom@webhandprintSPAM.com
http://webhandprint.com
http://brainsturgeon.com

> If you go to either the http://www.whatismyip.com or
> http://www.dslreports.com/whois and compare the reported address by doing
> a nslookup command on your dyndns.org alias, are the addresses the same?
>
> Go to "Start | Run", type cmd then at the command line run:
>
> nslookup your.dyndns.org.address
>
> The dyndns.org address should resolve to the same IP as reported by the
> two URLs...
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> benefit of all of us...
> rights...
>

> "Tom Richards" <email@brainsturgeon.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Al,
>>
>> Thnak you for finding that MS fix. I contacted MS, downloaded the fix,
>> installed it and am still experiencing the same issues. I also verified
>> that Port 3389 is indeed open with the tool you sent me.
>>
>> I'm going to try to re-test remotely later this morning and will keep you
>> apprised. Incidentally, I'm using dyndns.org and Direct Update to keep my
>> IP updated. If you would be available and wouldn't mind, I was wondering
>> if you'd be willing to help me troubleshoot later this evening. I could
>> give you my dyndns address and you could attempt connecting. If that's
>> against your policy, I completely understand and thank you for following
>> this thread through.
>>
>> Tom
>>
>> --
>>
>> Tom Richards
>> tom@webhandprintSPAM.com
>> http://webhandprint.com
>> http://brainsturgeon.com

Well, keep in mind that using either the public IP of the router or the dyndns address from another
PC on your LAN to call a PC on your LAN may not work. The real test is from a remote site, ie. your
girlfriends PC or from another friends PC for example, using either the public IP of the router or
the dyndns address.

--

>>> http://webhandprint.com
>>> http://brainsturgeon.com

Well, my brain continues to torque on this whole topic and I can't seem to
get a grip on it. So what is the difference between the "IP in Database"
that dyndns reports and the latest "IP that your browser is reporting"? The
former is accurate and works remotely, the latter doesn't. And, Al, when I
go to the status page of the router, the IP IS the latter - the IP that, in
fact, does not work when trying to access the pc remotely. I can't find the
correct IP anywhere on my pc except when I do the nslookup command. It isn't
listed in my router admin anywhere.

Sorry if this thread is becoming drudgery... :-(

--

Tom Richards
tom@webhandprintSPAM.com

> Well, keep in mind that using either the public IP of the router or the
> dyndns address from another PC on your LAN to call a PC on your LAN may
> not work. The real test is from a remote site, ie. your girlfriends PC or
> from another friends PC for example, using either the public IP of the
> router or the dyndns address.
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> benefit of all of us...
> rights...
>

> "Tom Richards" <email@brainsturgeon.com> wrote in message
>> Al,
>>
>> Well, I can't seem to resolve this issue. Direct Update is indeed
>> reporting the IP address that is appearing on my linksys wireless
>> router's status page to my dyndns account. But that address differs from
>> the one gleened by using "nslookup my account.dyndns.org" at the command
>> line. I'm pulling what little hair I have left out. Now neither of the
>> other workgroup pcs can connect through RD even with the correct IP.
>>
>> At my dyndns services page it lists the accurate IP as "IP in
>> Database/DNS:" Then just below that it lists the IP my router status page
>> is reporting (the one that doesn't work) as "New IP address: This is the
>> IP address that your browser is reporting and may or may not be the same
>> IP address currently in DNS." Arghhh....I'm lost.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Tom Richards
>> tom@webhandprintSPAM.com
>> http://webhandprint.com
>> http://brainsturgeon.com
>>

>> "Sooner Al [MVP]" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
>>> If you go to either the http://www.whatismyip.com or
>>> http://www.dslreports.com/whois and compare the reported address by
>>> doing a nslookup command on your dyndns.org alias, are the addresses the
>>> same?
>>>
>>> Go to "Start | Run", type cmd then at the command line run:
>>>
>>> nslookup your.dyndns.org.address
>>>
>>> The dyndns.org address should resolve to the same IP as reported by the
>>> two URLs...
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
>>>
>>> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual
>>> benefit of all of us...
>>> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>>> rights...
>>>

>>> "Tom Richards" <email@brainsturgeon.com> wrote in message

I rebooted my main pc, Al, and now the IP is correct, that is, it matches
the one called by the nslookup command. And both of the other pcs in my lan
can login via rd and the dyndns account. Now, having said that, is there a
reasonable explanation for why it took a reboot for the IP to catch up? The
correct IP now resolves to the one that was on the router status page the
whole time, but not the one that the nslookup command called. In short, do
you think this is fixed now, Al?