Pocket PC and remote desktop....can I enable audio from my..

April 25, 2005 1:53:01 AM

I want to play audio files from my desktop computer using my pocket pc. Since
the Terminal Services Client doesn't have any options available is there a
way for me to even hear audio from my desktop on my Pocket PC?
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 9:44:17 AM

The way I do that is to simply open the shared music file across the network. In my case I use Resco
Explorer on my iPAQ 5555 to open shared files on an XP Pro box.

http://www.resco.net/pocketpc/explorer/

Note that a copy of Resco comes free with some PocketPCs. It did with my iPAQ 5555. Check your
companion CD.

Please post additional questions concerning PocketPC issues to the microsoft.public.pocketpc or
microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless news groups.

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Davism16" <Davism16@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I want to play audio files from my desktop computer using my pocket pc. Since
> the Terminal Services Client doesn't have any options available is there a
> way for me to even hear audio from my desktop on my Pocket PC?
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 9:44:18 AM

that seems like a viable solution. The only problem I encounter with that is
my media player can't play aac files. Not to mention the file explorer on
Windows Mobile 2003 doesn't let you just open files over the network, I have
to copy the files onto my device and that's fairly slow. Is Resco just that
much superior, and if I do buy it, I guess I would have to convert all my
audio files to .mp3 . In an effort to avoid all of that....is there a way to
tweak Terminal Services Client on my Pocket PC so that it "brings audio to my
Pocket PC" when I play it remotely on my desktop? I could effectively just
use iTunes to play my library on my desktop computer and then hear it on my
Pocket PC. If you have any ideas, please let me know, because as T.S. client
stands, you can't even turn off the desktop wallpaper let alone change audio
settings...
April 25, 2005 11:28:55 AM

You can turn off desktop wallpaper using a group policy on the XP Pro Remote Desktop host machine...
See this page for help with that...its near the end of the page...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/Rem...

I have no idea what program would play a .aac file...

Audio redirection via the TSC on a PocketPC from an XP Pro Remote Desktop host is *NOT* supported.

Your right in that the built-in PocketPC File Explorer does not allow you to open files across a
network. That is why I suggested Resco Explorer which is a very good program, IMHO. Look at its
capabilities on the page I pointed you to. There is a free alternative called Netrunner that may, or
may not work for you...

http://www.pcdemano.com/modules.php?name=Sections&op=vi...

--

> that seems like a viable solution. The only problem I encounter with that is
> my media player can't play aac files. Not to mention the file explorer on
> Windows Mobile 2003 doesn't let you just open files over the network, I have
> to copy the files onto my device and that's fairly slow. Is Resco just that
> much superior, and if I do buy it, I guess I would have to convert all my
> audio files to .mp3 . In an effort to avoid all of that....is there a way to
> tweak Terminal Services Client on my Pocket PC so that it "brings audio to my
> Pocket PC" when I play it remotely on my desktop? I could effectively just
> use iTunes to play my library on my desktop computer and then hear it on my
> Pocket PC. If you have any ideas, please let me know, because as T.S. client
> stands, you can't even turn off the desktop wallpaper let alone change audio
> settings...
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 11:28:56 AM

Thank you very much for your help. Although, that stinks that audio isn't
supported. I appreciate your responses very much! I will explore the
alternatives your pointing me towards. By the way, sorry for the confusion,
aac files are .m4a files, the iTunes proprietary format, I guess its
proprietary since I haven't heard of it from anywhere else. Anywho, thanks
again, I realy appreciate it!
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 11:28:56 AM

as a side question, you wouldn't happen to know why Windows Mobile 2003
applications seem so....incomplete compared to their XP desktop versions?
Aside from the basic hardware limitations...for example, take Pocket IE....it
can't display a lot of really important internet content like using webmail
clients just for example. Do you think that will change? I've found third
party web browsers that allow me to do a lot of stuff I can do on my desktop.
DId Microsoft just leave that up to the third party programmers? Or do you
think it was kind of a rush job? Sorry if this sounds sort of snooty, its
just that when I bought my Pocket PC I didn't think I would be spending the
majority of the time I use it trying to make it more functional. Maybe I'm
all alone in that respect. ::shrug:: (I don't really know anyone else with a
Pocket PC, and I don't use it for the office or anything....mainly I want to
make a it a basic function laptop but I think I might need to make a goal
adjustment :)  Thanks again. Your help has been a shining beacon in a dismall
sea of good answers to the wrong questions)
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 2:24:55 PM

Doing a quick search on the http://www.brighthand.com site I came up with this player that supports
iTune formatted music files, or at least its advertised to do so...

http://iplay.40th.com/

I have never used it so as always YMMV...

As far as webmail is concerned, I use my Cox HSI, Hotmail, MVPs.org and Gmail web mail accounts with
my iPAQ 5555 native PIE. Its not fully featured but generally enough to send/receive basic email if
I need it...

Generally though I simply use Pocket Outlook to send/receive email while traveling. Here is how I
setup Gmail for example...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/WM2003/Gmail_Conf...

Other pages of interest...

Remote ActiveSync...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/WM2003/WM2003PPTP...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;818199

ActiveSync over a wired/wireless LAN...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/WM2003/ActiveSync...

Please post additional questions concerning PocketPC issues to the microsoft.public.pocketpc news
group...

Later...

--

!