Time Calc v1.5

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video,rec.video.production (More info?)

Due to the overwhelming response from the first version (i.e. NONE AT ALL) I
added different timecodes to this version.

It now supports 24, 25, 29.97, and 30 fps.

Again, let me know what you think (or, more to the point, if it's worth it).

Tom P.

www.padillah.com/software/TimeCalc.zip
11 answers Last reply
More about time calc
  1. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video,rec.video.production (More info?)

    It won't run on my machine. Error message: "The dynamic link library
    mscoree.dll could not be found . . ."

    "Henry Padilla" <padillah@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Due to the overwhelming response from the first version (i.e. NONE AT ALL)
    > added different timecodes to this version.
    >
    > It now supports 24, 25, 29.97, and 30 fps.
    >
    > Again, let me know what you think (or, more to the point, if it's worth
    it).

    > Tom P.
    >
    > www.padillah.com/software/TimeCalc.zip

  2. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video,rec.video.production (More info?)

    "Henry Padilla" wrote ...
    > Due to the overwhelming response from the first version
    > (i.e. NONE AT ALL) I added different timecodes to
    > this version.
    >
    > It now supports 24, 25, 29.97, and 30 fps.
    >
    > Again, let me know what you think (or, more to the point, if it's worth
    it).

    I found it a bit confusing to use. For example, It is unclear (at least
    to me) what is the function of the radio buttons vs. highlighting the
    In/Out/Dur value areas?

    It also doesn't seem to handle things like 0:90 (90 seconds) = 1:30, etc.
    Perhaps a "Help" window or brief instructional text on screen would be
    in order?

    Some users might also find it helpful to offer a "stays on top" option
    to use it as a utility while running other apps.

    I was thinking of making something like it, but more like a conventional
    calculator with +, - * and / , and with a "tape" of values (like an old-
    style calculator).

    I think there is also a (or likely several?) macro for eXcel spreadsheets
    to calculate H:M:S:F
  3. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video,rec.video.production (More info?)

    "PTravel" wrote ...
    > It won't run on my machine. Error message: "The dynamic
    > link library mscoree.dll could not be found . . ."

    Install Microsoft .NET

    This is just the first of many new apps that will require .NET
    support infrastructure.

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316091
    PRB: "Mscoree.dll Could Not Be Found" Error Message
    When You Try to Run a .NET Executable File
  4. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video,rec.video.production (More info?)

    Do you have .NET runtime?

    Tom P.

    "PTravel" <ptravel@ruyitang.com> wrote in message
    > It won't run on my machine. Error message: "The dynamic link library
    > mscoree.dll could not be found . . ."
    >
    > "Henry Padilla" <padillah@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Due to the overwhelming response from the first version (i.e. NONE AT
    >> ALL)
    >> added different timecodes to this version.
    >>
    >> It now supports 24, 25, 29.97, and 30 fps.
    >>
    >> Again, let me know what you think (or, more to the point, if it's worth
    > it).
    >>
    >> Tom P.
    >>
    >> www.padillah.com/software/TimeCalc.zip

  5. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video,rec.video.production (More info?)

    Not on my work machine.

    > Do you have .NET runtime?
    >
    > Tom P.
    >
    > "PTravel" <ptravel@ruyitang.com> wrote in message
    > > It won't run on my machine. Error message: "The dynamic link library
    > > mscoree.dll could not be found . . ."
    > >
    > > "Henry Padilla" <padillah@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> Due to the overwhelming response from the first version (i.e. NONE AT
    > >> ALL)
    > >> added different timecodes to this version.
    > >>
    > >> It now supports 24, 25, 29.97, and 30 fps.
    > >>
    > >> Again, let me know what you think (or, more to the point, if it's worth
    > > it).
    > >>
    > >> Tom P.
    > >>
    > >> www.padillah.com/software/TimeCalc.zip

  6. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video,rec.video.production (More info?)

    "Richard Crowley" <richard.7.crowley@intel.com> wrote in message
    > "PTravel" wrote ...
    >> It won't run on my machine. Error message: "The dynamic
    >> link library mscoree.dll could not be found . . ."
    >
    > Install Microsoft .NET
    >
    > This is just the first of many new apps that will require .NET
    > support infrastructure.
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316091
    > PRB: "Mscoree.dll Could Not Be Found" Error Message
    > When You Try to Run a .NET Executable File

    I can't help it. I suppose I could re-write it in C++ but that would take
    way too long and it's only a calculator.

    A more meaningful app maybe but a stupid calculator?

    Tom P.
  7. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video,rec.video.production (More info?)

    > "Richard Crowley" <richard.7.crowley@intel.com> wrote in message
    > > "PTravel" wrote ...
    > >> It won't run on my machine. Error message: "The dynamic
    > >> link library mscoree.dll could not be found . . ."
    > >
    > > Install Microsoft .NET
    > >
    > > This is just the first of many new apps that will require .NET
    > > support infrastructure.

    > > PRB: "Mscoree.dll Could Not Be Found" Error Message
    > > When You Try to Run a .NET Executable File
    > >

    > I can't help it. I suppose I could re-write it in C++ but that would take
    > way too long and it's only a calculator.
    >
    > A more meaningful app maybe but a stupid calculator?
    >
    > Tom P.

    I was recomending that PTravel install .NET!
    Or at least just download the missing dll file.
  8. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video,rec.video.production (More info?)

    > "Henry Padilla" wrote ...
    >> Due to the overwhelming response from the first version
    >> (i.e. NONE AT ALL) I added different timecodes to
    >> this version.
    >>
    >> It now supports 24, 25, 29.97, and 30 fps.
    >>
    >> Again, let me know what you think (or, more to the point, if it's worth
    > it).
    >
    > I found it a bit confusing to use. For example, It is unclear (at least
    > to me) what is the function of the radio buttons vs. highlighting the
    > In/Out/Dur value areas?

    How about tool tips? I'll also work out an About screen for quick notes and
    a Help chm for more detailed instructions.

    > It also doesn't seem to handle things like 0:90 (90 seconds) = 1:30, etc.
    > Perhaps a "Help" window or brief instructional text on screen would be
    > in order?

    I was torn between supporting this and forcing only valid timecodes. I could
    retranslate everything when you click equals. Or would that throw you off
    when the numbers changed unexpectedly?

    > Some users might also find it helpful to offer a "stays on top" option
    > to use it as a utility while running other apps.

    Nice touch!

    > I was thinking of making something like it, but more like a conventional
    > calculator with +, - * and / , and with a "tape" of values (like an old-
    > style calculator).

    I have a utility (for the Palm) that does all those too. Truth be told the
    buttons are in this app as well but they are currently hidden. I am trying
    to come to grips with how and why you would divide 2;45;13 by 1;15;09.

    > I think there is also a (or likely several?) macro for eXcel spreadsheets
    > to calculate H:M:S:F

    I know.
    I am in no way fooling myself into thinking this is unique or even useful.
    I needed one so I wrote it. If you guys can use one... here you go.

    Thanks a ton for the input. I'll work on it and see where it gets me.

    Tom P.
  9. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video,rec.video.production (More info?)

    >> I found it a bit confusing to use. For example, It is unclear (at least
    >> to me) what is the function of the radio buttons vs. highlighting the
    >> In/Out/Dur value areas?

    "Henry Padilla" wrote ...
    > How about tool tips? I'll also work out an About screen for
    > quick notes and a Help chm for more detailed instructions.

    How about just removing either the radio buttons or the highlighting?
    Still not clear why you need both? Preferable to simplify rather than
    trying to explain away complexity.

    > I was torn between supporting this and forcing only valid timecodes.
    > I could retranslate everything when you click equals. Or would that
    > throw you off when the numbers changed unexpectedly?

    People who like to do such strange things shouldn't be surprised when
    their oddball values get automatically translated into something more
    conventional. :-)
  10. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video,rec.video.production (More info?)

    >>> I found it a bit confusing to use. For example, It is unclear (at least
    >>> to me) what is the function of the radio buttons vs. highlighting the
    >>> In/Out/Dur value areas?
    >
    > "Henry Padilla" wrote ...
    >> How about tool tips? I'll also work out an About screen for
    >> quick notes and a Help chm for more detailed instructions.
    >
    > How about just removing either the radio buttons or the highlighting?
    > Still not clear why you need both? Preferable to simplify rather than
    > trying to explain away complexity.

    Well, the difference is that the click is for what field you are currently
    inputting a value. There will be a box around the current field: In, Out,
    or Duration.

    Te Radio button is for which field you want results for. So you can input
    any two fields and then get the "other" field.

    This is also one reason I didn't go for the "add" or "subtract" thing, I'll
    figure out which one you want from the context.

    Does that help? Is this an OK way to do this or would you rather have two
    input fields and a result field and you make the decision of what to do?

    Tom P.
  11. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video,rec.video.production (More info?)

    > "Richard Crowley" <richard.7.crowley@intel.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Henry Padilla" wrote ...
    >>> How about tool tips? I'll also work out an About screen for
    >>> quick notes and a Help chm for more detailed instructions.
    >>
    >> How about just removing either the radio buttons or the highlighting?
    >> Still not clear why you need both? Preferable to simplify rather than
    >> trying to explain away complexity.
    >>

    > Well, the difference is that the click is for what field you are
    > currently inputting a value. There will be a box around the current
    > field: In, Out, or Duration.
    >
    > Te Radio button is for which field you want results for. So you can
    > input any two fields and then get the "other" field.
    >
    > This is also one reason I didn't go for the "add" or "subtract" thing,
    > I'll figure out which one you want from the context.
    >
    > Does that help? Is this an OK way to do this or would you rather have
    > two input fields and a result field and you make the decision of what
    > to do?

    I did a very similar applet and wrote it so that it would
    calculate the third value automatically given any two
    inputs. Just three text boxes and automatic calculate on
    the "Lose-Focus" event from the text boxes. I also used
    the "Lose-Focus" event to automatically convert things
    like 90 seconds to 1:30, etc.

    I can think of some very good applications for multiply
    and divide. I needed it a few months ago when I had
    87 stills to fit into 2:48:15

    And the rules are simple: A time value multiplied (or
    divided) by a time value returns a scalar. A time value
    multiplied (or divided) by a scalar returns a time value.
    Takes longer to explain than to write the code. :-)

Tuner Cards Desktops Video Software Graphics