Depth of Field - 35mm adaptors for DV cams

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video,rec.video.production (More info?)

Found a couple of links.

Turns out the devices I'd been looking at are 35mm lens adaptor for mini/DV
cams.

(this discussion started in another thread - we got on the topic of horses
and vaseline and it just went downhill from there. ;)

http://www.guerilla35.com/
http://www.micro35.com/

I understand these are still "in beta" - one of them is actually NOT a
product but a "project" for people to mimic - and are meant to be low-cost
alternatives to higher end Arri' units that do pretty much the same thing -
drastically limit depth of field, simulating the look of film in that
respect.

I'd LOVE to hear peoples comments on this - real world experience, general
conjecture.

I know how to control depth of field (ND filters, wide aperature, longer
focal lengths and closer subjects) but there's only so much you can do with
a 1/2" piece of "film" - these products/projects look like good ideas.

C.

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video,rec.video.production (More info?)

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 15:47:16 -0400, "C.J.Patten"
<cjpatten@KNOWSPAMrogers.com> wrote:

>Found a couple of links.
>
>I understand these are still "in beta"

The ones you mentioned might be in beta, but there are a few real ones
out as well: http://www.pstechnik.de/datasheets/d_mini35.htm
I have used the Pro35 with a set of Cooke S4's on a Digibeta cam, and
you get a nicer DOF :) The only problem is that the little engine for
spinning the groundglass can be heard when it's very quiet. But you
could sample that out with some nifty audio-software.

cheers

-martin-

--
Can the terror of spam be included in the war on terror?