Unable to burn DVD from Studio 7

I recently got a digital video camera (Sony DCR -HC32) and edited some
video with Pinnacle Studio 7. It gives you the option of making the
movie as an avi file or an MPEG file, or one for upload to their
website to "share". I tried the AVI and the MPEG and then used Roxio
Easy CD creator software to burn a DVD. Neither disc could be
recognized by my DVD player for use on a TV. Even on a computer, using
Real Player or Windows media Player, it was not viewable (although
images were visible, it din't stream)
What am I doing wrong? This was my first attempt. I appreciate the
help. Thanks.
Jay
21 answers Last reply
More about unable burn studio

    Jay wrote:
    > I recently got a digital video camera (Sony DCR -HC32) and edited some
    > video with Pinnacle Studio 7. It gives you the option of making the
    > movie as an avi file or an MPEG file, or one for upload to their
    > website to "share". I tried the AVI and the MPEG and then used Roxio
    > Easy CD creator software to burn a DVD. Neither disc could be
    > recognized by my DVD player for use on a TV. Even on a computer,
    > using Real Player or Windows media Player, it was not viewable
    > (although images were visible, it din't stream)
    > What am I doing wrong? This was my first attempt. I appreciate the
    > help. Thanks.
    > Jay

    Why didn't you try to burn with Studio 7?

    J.

    John,
    As far as I can see, there doesn't seem to be an option to burn a DVD
    with studio 7 directly. You have the option of saving the project as a
    file of different types, but they get saved on your hard drive. In the
    menu up on top there is "capture", "edit" and "make movie". Under make
    movie you can choose MPEG, AVI, tape, stream or share. Can you please
    help me by outlining the steps I need to follow to burn a DVD from
    studio 7 directly? Thanks a lot.
    Jay

    Jay wrote:
    > John,
    > As far as I can see, there doesn't seem to be an option to burn a DVD
    > with studio 7 directly. You have the option of saving the project as
    > a file of different types, but they get saved on your hard drive. In
    > the menu up on top there is "capture", "edit" and "make movie".
    > Under make movie you can choose MPEG, AVI, tape, stream or share.
    > Can you please help me by outlining the steps I need to follow to
    > burn a DVD from studio 7 directly? Thanks a lot.

    Ya, right after I posted I realized that was the case. I had forgotten it
    was Studio 8 that had the option to burn not S7. I have never used Roxio so
    I wouldn't try to say what might be wrong. I would say that if it is mpeg 2
    DVD format then it should plat on desktop DVD player. You could try to make
    movie as AVI and encode it with TMPGEnc and then try to burn it. That is the
    only way I know of with the SW you have to make sure it is a usable DVD Mpeg
    file. This is a free application that is great SW to purchase the enhanced
    version

    http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/index.html

    J.

    > Jay
    > John wrote:
    >> Jay wrote:
    >>> I recently got a digital video camera (Sony DCR -HC32) and edited
    >>> some video with Pinnacle Studio 7. It gives you the option of
    >>> making the movie as an avi file or an MPEG file, or one for upload
    >>> to their website to "share". I tried the AVI and the MPEG and then
    >>> used Roxio Easy CD creator software to burn a DVD. Neither disc
    >>> could be recognized by my DVD player for use on a TV. Even on a
    >>> computer, using Real Player or Windows media Player, it was not
    >>> viewable (although images were visible, it din't stream)
    >>> What am I doing wrong? This was my first attempt. I appreciate
    >>> the help. Thanks.
    >>> Jay
    >>
    >> Why didn't you try to burn with Studio 7?
    >>
    >> J.

    I think you can only burn DVDs from Studio 9, though I've had trouble
    doing it - even using two different DVD drives. Keep getting wrong
    media error messages. They say it will work - can't prove it by me!

    Dick wrote:
    > I think you can only burn DVDs from Studio 9, though I've had trouble
    > doing it - even using two different DVD drives. Keep getting wrong
    > media error messages. They say it will work - can't prove it by me!

    I have burned hundreds of DVDs with Studio 8. I had forgotten that Studio
    7 did not burn DVDs. I have not yet had the need to move up to S9 but have
    read all were happy with the results. Have you been totally unable to burn
    your fist DVD? Have you made any VCDs or SVCDs? Maybe if you go through what
    you are doing I can compare what you are going to what I am to get good
    results.

    J.

    "Jay" <aikijay@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    >I recently got a digital video camera (Sony DCR -HC32) and edited some
    > video with Pinnacle Studio 7. It gives you the option of making the
    > movie as an avi file or an MPEG file, or one for upload to their
    > website to "share". I tried the AVI and the MPEG and then used Roxio
    > Easy CD creator software to burn a DVD. Neither disc could be
    > recognized by my DVD player for use on a TV. Even on a computer, using
    > Real Player or Windows media Player, it was not viewable (although
    > images were visible, it din't stream)
    > What am I doing wrong? This was my first attempt. I appreciate the
    > help. Thanks.
    > Jay

    Okay, no one has really given you an accurate answer.

    Video DVDs use mpeg-encoded video (with a fairly specific set of parameters)
    that has been formatted correctly for the DVD standard. This requires two
    steps beyond simply editing the video and saving as a file.

    First, you need to transcode your DV-AVI video to mpeg2. My recollection
    was that Studio 7 could do this, but badly. Someone else suggested tmpgenc.
    That's an excellent transcoder, but be warned -- it's slow.

    Once you have your video in mpeg format, you still need to "author" it to
    DVD -- convert the mpeg into multiple .vob files, generate the necessary
    index files, etc. Tmpgenc is _not_ authoring software -- for that you'd
    need something else (I use Adobe Encore, which is probably overkill for your
    purposes).

    Finally, once the DVD has been authored, THEN you can burn a DVD using Nero
    or something similar.

    An alternative is to look at some of the less expensive DVD creation
    packages, that combine transcoding, authoring and burning in one package.

    PTRAVEL wrote:
    > "Jay" <aikijay@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    >> I recently got a digital video camera (Sony DCR -HC32) and edited
    >> some video with Pinnacle Studio 7. It gives you the option of
    >> making the movie as an avi file or an MPEG file, or one for upload
    >> to their website to "share". I tried the AVI and the MPEG and then
    >> used Roxio Easy CD creator software to burn a DVD. Neither disc
    >> could be recognized by my DVD player for use on a TV. Even on a
    >> computer, using Real Player or Windows media Player, it was not
    >> viewable (although images were visible, it din't stream)
    >> What am I doing wrong? This was my first attempt. I appreciate the
    >> help. Thanks.
    >> Jay
    >
    > Okay, no one has really given you an accurate answer.
    >
    > Video DVDs use mpeg-encoded video (with a fairly specific set of
    > parameters) that has been formatted correctly for the DVD standard. This
    > requires two steps beyond simply editing the video and saving as
    > a file.
    > First, you need to transcode your DV-AVI video to mpeg2. My
    > recollection was that Studio 7 could do this, but badly. Someone
    > else suggested tmpgenc. That's an excellent transcoder, but be warned
    > -- it's slow.
    > Once you have your video in mpeg format, you still need to "author"
    > it to DVD -- convert the mpeg into multiple .vob files, generate the
    > necessary index files, etc. Tmpgenc is _not_ authoring software --
    > for that you'd need something else (I use Adobe Encore, which is
    > probably overkill for your purposes).
    >
    > Finally, once the DVD has been authored, THEN you can burn a DVD
    > using Nero or something similar.
    >
    > An alternative is to look at some of the less expensive DVD creation
    > packages, that combine transcoding, authoring and burning in one
    > package.

    I think a more accurate answer would be how to burn with Roxio which I
    have never used. I could have mentioned Nero or many others but there is
    always someone that has that answer. Buy something you don't already have to
    fix what doesn't work with what you do. I say to work your way up with a
    short clip and get what you do have working before you try another. Or...
    you could use the Roadrunner approach and try the ACME burning SW....instead
    :)

    "John" <NJJohn@Spamex.com> wrote in message
    > PTRAVEL wrote:
    >> "Jay" <aikijay@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    >>> I recently got a digital video camera (Sony DCR -HC32) and edited
    >>> some video with Pinnacle Studio 7. It gives you the option of
    >>> making the movie as an avi file or an MPEG file, or one for upload
    >>> to their website to "share". I tried the AVI and the MPEG and then
    >>> used Roxio Easy CD creator software to burn a DVD. Neither disc
    >>> could be recognized by my DVD player for use on a TV. Even on a
    >>> computer, using Real Player or Windows media Player, it was not
    >>> viewable (although images were visible, it din't stream)
    >>> What am I doing wrong? This was my first attempt. I appreciate the
    >>> help. Thanks.
    >>> Jay
    >>
    >> Okay, no one has really given you an accurate answer.
    >>
    >> Video DVDs use mpeg-encoded video (with a fairly specific set of
    >> parameters) that has been formatted correctly for the DVD standard. This
    >> requires two steps beyond simply editing the video and saving as
    >> a file.
    >> First, you need to transcode your DV-AVI video to mpeg2. My
    >> recollection was that Studio 7 could do this, but badly. Someone
    >> else suggested tmpgenc. That's an excellent transcoder, but be warned
    >> -- it's slow.
    >> Once you have your video in mpeg format, you still need to "author"
    >> it to DVD -- convert the mpeg into multiple .vob files, generate the
    >> necessary index files, etc. Tmpgenc is _not_ authoring software --
    >> for that you'd need something else (I use Adobe Encore, which is
    >> probably overkill for your purposes).
    >>
    >> Finally, once the DVD has been authored, THEN you can burn a DVD
    >> using Nero or something similar.
    >>
    >> An alternative is to look at some of the less expensive DVD creation
    >> packages, that combine transcoding, authoring and burning in one
    >> package.
    >
    > I think a more accurate answer would be how to burn with Roxio which I
    > have never used. I could have mentioned Nero or many others but there is
    > always someone that has that answer.

    First of all, you missed the key part of what I wrote: you don't create a
    video DVD by dumping an mpeg file onto a DVD blank using ANY burning
    software. You'll need to author your DVD first -- my recollection is that
    Studio 7 does not do authoring, but I may be wrong.

    I would assume that Roxio CD Creator, like any other full-feature burning
    program, has a "new video DVD" default setting. It's simply a matter of
    dumping all the files created by your authoring package in the VIDEO_TS
    directory into the VIDEO_TS directory of the new DVD. You can ignore the
    AUDIO_TS directory entirely. That's all you have to do -- drag-and-drop the
    files from VIDEO_TS to VIDEO_TS, and burn your disk.

    > Buy something you don't already have to fix what doesn't work with what
    > you do. I say to work your way up with a short clip and get what you do
    > have working before you try another. Or... you could use the Roadrunner
    > approach and try the ACME burning SW....instead :)

    You received no replies at all that explained the process of going from
    edited AVI to a playable DVD. I explained that process. If you don't
    believe me, and think you can use Roxio to author a DVD, I'd be very
    interested in knowing how you plan to do that.

    Studio 7 can save files as MPEG, but I don't think it's MPEG 2. I'm
    sorry, but as a beginner I don't quite understand what "multiple .vob
    files" are. It may seem very basic and simple minded of me to say, but
    it seems that this video editing program should allow you somehow, to
    make a disk that you can USE, without having to buy something else.
    Otherwise what's the point? Most people don't watch home movies on
    their desktops. If you want to show it to anyone, you have to be able
    to pop it in a DVD player and show it on your T.V.

    What is Nero? What is tmpgenc? Can these be downloaded free or do I
    have to spend more on software? If I do have to buy something, I would
    certainly like it to be allin one. Can you suggest a DVD creation
    package? Thanks.
    Jay

    Jay wrote:
    > Studio 7 can save files as MPEG, but I don't think it's MPEG 2. I'm
    > sorry, but as a beginner I don't quite understand what "multiple .vob
    > files" are. It may seem very basic and simple minded of me to say,
    > but it seems that this video editing program should allow you
    > somehow, to make a disk that you can USE, without having to buy
    > something else. Otherwise what's the point? Most people don't watch
    > home movies on their desktops. If you want to show it to anyone, you
    > have to be able to pop it in a DVD player and show it on your T.V.
    >
    > What is Nero? What is tmpgenc? Can these be downloaded free or do I
    > have to spend more on software? If I do have to buy something, I would
    > certainly like it to be allin one. Can you suggest a DVD creation
    > package? Thanks.
    > Jay

    You could start by posting the specs of your system. Hoping you have a
    system that has the ability to do what you want as trouble free as possible.
    Did your DVD burner come with software? You mentioned Roxio but not clear
    what other SW you have. You might want to start with a short clip burned to
    DVDRW instead of burning coaster DVDRs. You may or may not want to get a
    better understanding
    http://www.videohelp.com/
    Here will tell you all you need to know.
    Nero might be what you need as it is a complete package for many
    applications used for audio and video capture and edit render and burn.
    http://www.nero.com/us/index.html

    TMPGNEnc http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/index.html is an application that
    will render an AVI to Mpeg2 for DVD bruning with burning software/Nero. But
    if you have Nero you will not need to buy anything else. There are many
    other trial applications you could try for evaluation period.
    J.

    The only thing that didn't work was DVD. Tried DVD+RW without success
    but tried with DVD-R and it worked fine - no reason for this that I can
    think of but at least I know how to do it! VCD and SVCD have always
    worked well but many players won't read them. Since one of my projects
    is a fundraiser, I had to do something (not that there is anything!)
    that could be read by 100%.

    I have a dell, Pentium 4 desktop with WINDOWS 2000 professional. I
    have Roxia Easy CD creator 5 platinum, "Power DVD" which as far as I
    can tell is only a DVD playing software program, SONY Picture package
    (software that cane with the camera),, Studio 7 and Pinnacle Express.
    Anything else is unrelated to video. The DVD/CD drive is an NEC
    DVD+RW, ND-5100A. I am using Memorex DVD+R discs. I hope any of this
    helps.
    Jay

    Dick wrote:
    > The only thing that didn't work was DVD. Tried DVD+RW without success
    > but tried with DVD-R and it worked fine - no reason for this that I
    > can think of but at least I know how to do it! VCD and SVCD have
    > always worked well but many players won't read them. Since one of my
    > projects is a fundraiser, I had to do something (not that there is
    > anything!) that could be read by 100%.

    I am not sure if I understand you. You say DVD didn't work then you say
    DVD-R worker fine. You still have not mentioned anything about your system.
    Do you have burner that will burn DVD-/+R or just -R? If you are having
    limited difficulties then I would say try a different brand media..

    J.

    Jay wrote:
    > I have a dell, Pentium 4 desktop with WINDOWS 2000 professional. I
    > have Roxia Easy CD creator 5 platinum, "Power DVD" which as far as I
    > can tell is only a DVD playing software program, SONY Picture package
    > (software that cane with the camera),, Studio 7 and Pinnacle Express.
    > Anything else is unrelated to video. The DVD/CD drive is an NEC
    > DVD+RW, ND-5100A. I am using Memorex DVD+R discs. I hope any of this
    > helps.
    > Jay

    That does put a face on things. Nice system and you should have no trouble
    as long as you have plenty of HDD space.

    J.

    I'm working from Studio 9 to a Sony 710a, though I've also tried a
    Philips. The Sony should burn any media (at least to read the specs)
    but would not accept DVD+RW (got an error message of "not enough
    memory" - even though the test I was using was only 45 seconds long.
    When I switched to DVD-R, it worked fine. That said, in the meantime I
    downloaded upgrades to Instant CD/DVD, which Studio uses to burn and
    that might have solved the problem - have not tried to use DVD+ R since
    doign this.

    I'm working from Studio 9 to a Sony 710a, though I've also tried a
    Philips. The Sony should burn any media (at least to read the specs)
    but would not accept DVD+RW (got an error message of "not enough
    memory" - even though the test I was using was only 45 seconds long.
    When I switched to DVD-R, it worked fine. That said, in the meantime I
    downloaded upgrades to Instant CD/DVD, which Studio uses to burn and
    that might have solved the problem - have not tried to use DVD+ R since
    doign this.

    The system is Studio 9, using a Sony 710a writer, which should handle
    any kind of media (to judge from the specs). Since my original
    problems, I downloaded some ungrades for Instant CD/DVD and that might
    have solved my problems - havent tried to burn to DVD+RW since I found
    that DVD-R would work. The error message I got with DVD+RW was "not
    enough memory on the disc", even though my test was only 45 seconds
    long.

    Using Studio 9 with Instant CD/DVD and a Sony 710a burner, which should
    burn any media. I downloaded upgrades to Instant and that's when it
    started to burn DVR- OK - it might have been the downloads that solved
    the problem. Have not re-tried DVD+RW yet but the error message I got
    was "not enough memory on disc", even though my test burn was only
    about 45 seconds.

    I'm using Studio 9 and Instant CD/DVD with a Sony 710a burner, which
    should burn with all media (or so they say). I should have said that I
    downloaded various upgrades to the Instant CD/DVD and it was after the
    upgrades that I was able to burn DVD-. I have not retried DVD+RW since
    and it might work fine now. Incidentally, the test run I was using was
    only about 45 seconds and the error message I got was "insufficient
    space on disc"

    Using Studio 9 with a Sony 710a burner (which should burn any media). I
    downloaded some upgrades from Pinnacle Instant CD/DVD which, I guess
    was what allowed me to burn to DVD-. Have not tried to used DVD+RW
    since then but will. In the meantime, Sony has suggested some software
    changes that I'm having some trouble working through but will talk to
    them on Monday to see if they help.

    Using Studio 9 with a Sony 710a burner (which should burn any media). I
    downloaded some upgrades from Pinnacle Instant CD/DVD which, I guess
    was what allowed me to burn to DVD-. Have not tried to used DVD+RW
    since then but will. In the meantime, Sony has suggested some software
    changes that I'm having some trouble working through but will talk to
    them on Monday to see if they help.

Tuner Cards Graphics