Satellite Reciever and PVR capture card

I am planning on building a Media Center for my living room and I am
having problems finding a capture card, actuall the card may not exist.
Most capture cards that I have come across so far have built in tuners
for cable or antenna; that allow you to change channels and record tv
programs onto the PC. Obviously these capture cards/TV tuners will not
work with a Satellite receiver since the channel needs to be chanaged
on the receiver. I would think that there would be a capture card out
there that has a IR transmitter that can send IR commands to specified
satellite receivers to change channels at a specific time to record TV
programs. Is there such a device out there?

Thanks for any help.

"kherres" <kirkherres@gocougs.wsu.edu> wrote in message
>I am planning on building a Media Center for my living room and I am
> having problems finding a capture card, actuall the card may not exist.
> Most capture cards that I have come across so far have built in tuners
> for cable or antenna; that allow you to change channels and record tv
> programs onto the PC. Obviously these capture cards/TV tuners will not
> work with a Satellite receiver since the channel needs to be chanaged
> on the receiver. I would think that there would be a capture card out
> there that has a IR transmitter that can send IR commands to specified
> satellite receivers to change channels at a specific time to record TV
> programs. Is there such a device out there?
>

> Thanks for any help.

If you want to run Microsoft Windows Media Center 2005, yes, the MS remote
comes with IR emitters that change the channels on the satellite receiver
just fine.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

On 11 Apr 2005 15:58:11 -0700, "kherres" <kirkherres@gocougs.wsu.edu>
wrote:

>I am planning on building a Media Center for my living room and I am
>having problems finding a capture card, actuall the card may not exist.
> Most capture cards that I have come across so far have built in tuners
>for cable or antenna; that allow you to change channels and record tv
>programs onto the PC. Obviously these capture cards/TV tuners will not
>work with a Satellite receiver since the channel needs to be chanaged
>on the receiver. I would think that there would be a capture card out
>there that has a IR transmitter that can send IR commands to specified
>satellite receivers to change channels at a specific time to record TV
>programs. Is there such a device out there?
>

>Thanks for any help.

What is wrong with using a disk based satellite receiver that can
record as you wish and then send what you want to your media center.

> I am planning on building a Media Center for my living room and I am
> having problems finding a capture card, actuall the card may not
exist.
> Most capture cards that I have come across so far have built in
tuners
> for cable or antenna; that allow you to change channels and record tv
> programs onto the PC. Obviously these capture cards/TV tuners will
not
> work with a Satellite receiver since the channel needs to be chanaged
> on the receiver. I would think that there would be a capture card
out
> there that has a IR transmitter that can send IR commands to
specified
> satellite receivers to change channels at a specific time to record
TV
> programs. Is there such a device out there?

I used USB-UIRT to control a Dish Network box. It also worked with
DirecTV box when I tried it before I switched from DirecTV to Dish
Network. I use it with Beyond-TV, not MS-Media-Center-Edition.
Therefore, I am not 100% sure if it works with MS-Media-Center-Edition.
You can go to their web site to find out. Their web site is
www.usbuirt.com.

I am using it to control one tuner in the Disk Network box. I need to
use a long 8-ft IR cable that has an emitter in one end to connect
between the Dish Network box and the USB-UIRT device. And that USB-UIRT
device in turn is connected to the PC's USB connector. I also has a
Y-adapter between the IR cable and the USB-UIRT. I don't remember why I
need it for. It may be a stereo-to-mono Y-adapter to convert from
stereo signal from the USB-UIRT device to the mono-signal that the IR
cable takes. Honestly, I don't remember the reason why I need the
Y-adapter.

Jay Chan

In article <3c0oijF6l4tigU1@individual.net>, Newsgroups1@coribright.com
says...
> If you want to run Microsoft Windows Media Center 2005, yes, the MS remote
> comes with IR emitters that change the channels on the satellite receiver
> just fine.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>
> In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP

Otherwise, look for an IR200l, IR-Blaster or USB-UIRT.
--
http://www.ramsays-online.com