codecs for Windows Media Player?

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.video,comp.windows.misc (More info?)

I am using Windows Media Player to play Tivo programs on my laptop
(Tivo to go feature). For these files, the FF and REW buttons are
disabled. I was advised to try a different codec. How do I know where
the Windows Media player codec is installed, where do I find others to
download and try?
Thanks
14 answers Last reply
More about codecs windows media player
  1. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.video,comp.windows.misc (More info?)

    <piclistguy@yahoo.com> wrote in
    news:1113275955.423112.4120@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com thusly:

    > I am using Windows Media Player to play Tivo programs on my laptop
    > (Tivo to go feature). For these files, the FF and REW buttons are
    > disabled. I was advised to try a different codec. How do I know where
    > the Windows Media player codec is installed, where do I find others to
    > download and try?

    The problem is most likely not the decoder, since you can play the file,
    the decoder works. The problem is more likely Windows Media Player,
    which is absolute garbage and is only good for quick and dirty playback.

    Try loading the files into PowerDVD. Worse case, you can use PowerDVD's
    Navigational Slider to back track, which often times WMP doesn't allow
    you to use. You could also try Media Player Classic.

    First find out if it is the decoder or the playback program before
    getting involved with codec thrashing.

    --

    Tom
  2. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.video,comp.windows.misc (More info?)

    <piclistguy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I am using Windows Media Player to play Tivo programs on my laptop
    > (Tivo to go feature). For these files, the FF and REW buttons are
    > disabled. I was advised to try a different codec. How do I know where
    > the Windows Media player codec is installed, where do I find others to
    > download and try?
    > Thanks

    To find codecs use Sherlock. It's a free download here:
    http://www.updatexp.com/ It's quite safe to use and doesn't contain any
    adware or spyware.

    There is no installation, so just place Sherlock in a convenient directory
    (folder) somewhere on your computer. Create a shortcut and place in a
    convenient spot, such as your desktop or quicklauch bar. Double-click the
    program. It will start up and first tell you if anything is broken. Next,
    you get a list of the installed codecs. From this list you can check with
    the supplier to see if an updated or corrected version is available.

    As an aside, I don't agree that Windows Media Player is "garbage." Since I
    work with video and audio media all day long, I have my system tuned to do
    just that. So, at least on my system, WMP works quite well.

    There are a number of free download and/or websites that describe how to
    optimize WinXP for video/audio. You may want to check out a few of these
    sites as well. Here are a couple of sites to get you started:

    http://www.dougknox.com/
    http://www.tweakxp.com/

    To find more just do a google search for "optimize windows xp" or "tweak
    windows xp." You'll probably get a million and a half hits, but the first
    two or three pages should be sufficient. ;-)

    Good luck!

    Hal Lowe
    http://hals.vstoremarket.com (HaloweGraphics SuperStore)
    http://www.halowe-graphics.com/tinc?key=0TmhZVQ5&formname=web_email
    http://www.halowe-graphics.com/photo.html (free original video textures)
    http://1and1.com/?k_id=7391019 (Best website host/great prices)
  3. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.video,comp.windows.misc (More info?)

    "Hal" <see_post_for_address@post.com> wrote in message
    > <piclistguy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > >I am using Windows Media Player to play Tivo programs on my laptop
    > > (Tivo to go feature). For these files, the FF and REW buttons are
    > > disabled. I was advised to try a different codec. How do I know where
    > > the Windows Media player codec is installed, where do I find others to
    > > download and try?
    > > Thanks
    > >

    > To find codecs use Sherlock. It's a free download here:
    > http://www.updatexp.com/ It's quite safe to use and doesn't contain any
    > adware or spyware.
    >
    > There is no installation, so just place Sherlock in a convenient directory
    > (folder) somewhere on your computer. Create a shortcut and place in a
    > convenient spot, such as your desktop or quicklauch bar. Double-click the
    > program. It will start up and first tell you if anything is broken. Next,
    > you get a list of the installed codecs. From this list you can check with
    > the supplier to see if an updated or corrected version is available.
    >
    > As an aside, I don't agree that Windows Media Player is "garbage." Since I
    > work with video and audio media all day long, I have my system tuned to do
    > just that. So, at least on my system, WMP works quite well.
    >
    > There are a number of free download and/or websites that describe how to
    > optimize WinXP for video/audio. You may want to check out a few of these
    > sites as well. Here are a couple of sites to get you started:
    >
    > http://www.dougknox.com/
    > http://www.tweakxp.com/
    >
    > To find more just do a google search for "optimize windows xp" or "tweak
    > windows xp." You'll probably get a million and a half hits, but the first
    > two or three pages should be sufficient. ;-)
    >
    > Good luck!
    >
    > Hal Lowe
    > http://hals.vstoremarket.com (HaloweGraphics SuperStore)
    > http://www.halowe-graphics.com/tinc?key=0TmhZVQ5&formname=web_email
    > http://www.halowe-graphics.com/photo.html (free original video textures)
    > http://1and1.com/?k_id=7391019 (Best website host/great prices)

    About Windows Media Player. When loading a large MP2 file. (say 20:00 or so) I
    can only play the file from the beginning. I can not drag the slider to the
    middle or near end of file and play from there. Any idea?
  4. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.video,comp.windows.misc (More info?)

    DanR <dhr22@sorrynospm.com> wrote in
    news:SuP6e.607$zq4.494@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com thusly:

    > About Windows Media Player. When loading a large MP2 file. (say 20:00
    > or so) I can only play the file from the beginning. I can not drag the
    > slider to the middle or near end of file and play from there. Any
    > idea?

    Demux the video. The sectors are out of wack.

    --

    Tom
  5. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.video,comp.windows.misc (More info?)

    Hal <see_post_for_address@post.com> wrote in
    news:6DO6e.18499$1p4.17550@trndny06 thusly:

    > As an aside, I don't agree that Windows Media Player is "garbage."
    > Since I work with video and audio media all day long, I have my system
    > tuned to do just that. So, at least on my system, WMP works quite
    > well.

    I said that it's, "only good for quick and dirty playback", not that it
    doesn't work. There are much better programs available if playback is
    important to you.

    As long as you have the appropriate decoder/filter installed, it will
    playback the file. It's just a bloated frontend, not a very good
    frontend, but a frontend never the less. One that, doesn't understand
    aspect ratios very well.

    Before playing with codecs (which can be dangerous, not to mention a
    pain), its best to see how a different player handles the file. The
    priority of the codec will not change and the other player will use what
    has the highest merit for that type. This way you can compare and avoid
    unnecessary tweaking.

    --

    Tom

    "Tom" <Tom@invalid.com> wrote in message

    > Hal <see_post_for_address@post.com> wrote in
    > news:6DO6e.18499$1p4.17550@trndny06 thusly:
    >
    >> As an aside, I don't agree that Windows Media Player is "garbage."
    >> Since I work with video and audio media all day long, I have my system
    >> tuned to do just that. So, at least on my system, WMP works quite
    >> well.
    >
    > I said that it's, "only good for quick and dirty playback", not that it
    > doesn't work. There are much better programs available if playback is
    > important to you.
    >
    > As long as you have the appropriate decoder/filter installed, it will
    > playback the file. It's just a bloated frontend, not a very good
    > frontend, but a frontend never the less. One that, doesn't understand
    > aspect ratios very well.
    >
    > Before playing with codecs (which can be dangerous, not to mention a
    > pain), its best to see how a different player handles the file. The
    > priority of the codec will not change and the other player will use what
    > has the highest merit for that type. This way you can compare and avoid
    > unnecessary tweaking.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Tom

    Hi Tom,

    Actually, I never said that you said it doesn't work. I simply said it
    "works quite well" (on my system).

    Since we obviously have very different opinions on this subject, I'll just
    agree to disagree on this one. :-)

    However, I would be interested in which programs you recommend for playback,
    instead of WMP.

    Regards,

    Hal Lowe
    http://hals.vstoremarket.com (HaloweGraphics SuperStore)
    http://www.halowe-graphics.com/tinc?key=0TmhZVQ5&formname=web_email
    http://www.halowe-graphics.com/music.html (free original MP3 background
    audios)
    http://www.halowe-graphics.com/photo.html (free original video textures)
    http://wc.halowe-graphics.com (college student & prof resources)

    news:dtV6e.3933$ha3.703@trndny02 thusly:

    > Actually, I never said that you said it doesn't work. I simply said it
    > "works quite well" (on my system).

    You are correct.

    > Since we obviously have very different opinions on this subject, I'll
    > just agree to disagree on this one. :-)

    Hehe.

    > However, I would be interested in which programs you recommend for
    > playback, instead of WMP.

    I like PowerDVD. Not only do you get to use their nice codecs for MPEG-2
    playback in other software (WMP), but with the right skin you get a very
    realistic GUI of a DVD player. I use the Pioneer DV-343 skin available
    at their site (with a slight tweak to the background pic).

    I should point out that I like PowerDVD v4 the best (they are at version
    6 last time I checked). I had to upgrade to v6 due to a problem with a
    rare DVD navigation issue - which was fixed in the newer version. I also
    think the de-interlacer is better in the newer version. The older
    version had some features still missing in the newer verison.

    I also like "Marks Tray DVD Player Pro" which has very nice debugging
    features often not found anywhere else or at least not as convenient.

    Media Player Classic is a vast improvement over the Windows Media Player
    shipped with XP, including Microsoft's later versions. Don't let the
    "Classic" in the name fool ya. One of the biggest uglies of the modern
    Windows Media Player is its bloat. The Windows Media Player (v6.4) in
    Windows 98se was very lean. They've taken that concept and improved on
    the players abilities. Unless you need DRM, there is little reason to
    ever upgrade Windows Media Player. And you certainly don't need to
    upgrade the player to get the WMV codecs, as they are available
    separately from Microsoft.

    And here's a hint. Even Microsoft included their classic Windows 98se
    version with XP (besides including WMP v7). Type or do a find (to create
    a shortcut) for MPlayer2.exe. That's the version of WMP I use system
    wide with the PowerDVD MPEG=2 codecs.

    Then there is WinDVD. I have some issues with WinDVD. I don't like it
    trying to access the net when I have specifically told it not to and had
    to set up Firewall rules to prevent it. The WinDVD codecs are good, but
    there are some missing features in the program and some features don't
    make a lot of sense or are awkward to find. Installed, the codecs can be
    used for something else, like WMP.

    This list is nowhere complete, or in any particular order. But, PowerDVD
    usually ends up being first on my recommend list. :)

    --

    > Hal <see_post_for_address@post.com> wrote in
    > news:dtV6e.3933$ha3.703@trndny02 thusly:
    >
    >> Actually, I never said that you said it doesn't work. I simply said it
    >> "works quite well" (on my system).
    >
    > You are correct.
    >
    >> Since we obviously have very different opinions on this subject, I'll
    >> just agree to disagree on this one. :-)
    >
    > Hehe.
    >
    >> However, I would be interested in which programs you recommend for
    >> playback, instead of WMP.
    >
    > I like PowerDVD. Not only do you get to use their nice codecs for MPEG-2
    > playback in other software (WMP), but with the right skin you get a very
    > realistic GUI of a DVD player. I use the Pioneer DV-343 skin available
    > at their site (with a slight tweak to the background pic).
    >
    > I should point out that I like PowerDVD v4 the best (they are at version
    > 6 last time I checked). I had to upgrade to v6 due to a problem with a
    > rare DVD navigation issue - which was fixed in the newer version. I also
    > think the de-interlacer is better in the newer version. The older
    > version had some features still missing in the newer verison.
    >
    > I also like "Marks Tray DVD Player Pro" which has very nice debugging
    > features often not found anywhere else or at least not as convenient.
    >
    > Media Player Classic is a vast improvement over the Windows Media Player
    > shipped with XP, including Microsoft's later versions. Don't let the
    > "Classic" in the name fool ya. One of the biggest uglies of the modern
    > Windows Media Player is its bloat. The Windows Media Player (v6.4) in
    > Windows 98se was very lean. They've taken that concept and improved on
    > the players abilities. Unless you need DRM, there is little reason to
    > ever upgrade Windows Media Player. And you certainly don't need to
    > upgrade the player to get the WMV codecs, as they are available
    > separately from Microsoft.
    >
    > And here's a hint. Even Microsoft included their classic Windows 98se
    > version with XP (besides including WMP v7). Type or do a find (to create
    > a shortcut) for MPlayer2.exe. That's the version of WMP I use system
    > wide with the PowerDVD MPEG=2 codecs.
    >
    > Then there is WinDVD. I have some issues with WinDVD. I don't like it
    > trying to access the net when I have specifically told it not to and had
    > to set up Firewall rules to prevent it. The WinDVD codecs are good, but
    > there are some missing features in the program and some features don't
    > make a lot of sense or are awkward to find. Installed, the codecs can be
    > used for something else, like WMP.
    >
    > This list is nowhere complete, or in any particular order. But, PowerDVD
    > usually ends up being first on my recommend list. :)
    >
    > --
    >
    > Tom

    Hi Tom,

    Well, I've used PowerDVD and didn't care for it. However, I havent' tried
    "Marks Tray DVD Player Pro," so I'll give it a try.

    Thanks.

    Hal.

    On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 04:31:44 GMT, in 'rec.video.desktop',
    in article <Re: codecs for Windows Media Player?>,
    "Hal" <see_post_for_address@post.com> wrote:

    >However...
    >
    >I've been looking for "Marks Tray DVD Player Pro" but can't seem to locate
    >it. You don't by any chance have a link(?). The only references I've found
    >to it are from people like me who can't seem to find it.
    >
    >Appreciate the link if you or someone else here has it.
    >
    >TIA,
    >
    >Hal Lowe
    >http://www.halowe-graphics.com/tinc?key=0TmhZVQ5&formname=web_email
    >http://www.halowe-graphics.com/photo.html (free original video textures)

    Hal:

    Try this link: http://www.darkframe.de/SetupDVDTrayPlayerPro230.exe

    Took 15 seconds to locate via Google, but I don't know whether or not
    it requires the Microsoft .NET Framework as I haven't installed it.

    --
    Frank, Independent Consultant, New York, NY
    [Please remove 'nojunkmail.' from address to reply via e-mail.]

    "Frank" <frank@nojunkmail.humanvalues.net> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 04:31:44 GMT, in 'rec.video.desktop',
    > in article <Re: codecs for Windows Media Player?>,
    > "Hal" <see_post_for_address@post.com> wrote:
    >
    >>However...
    >>
    >>I've been looking for "Marks Tray DVD Player Pro" but can't seem to locate
    >>it. You don't by any chance have a link(?). The only references I've
    >>found
    >>to it are from people like me who can't seem to find it.
    >>
    >>Appreciate the link if you or someone else here has it.
    >>
    >>TIA,
    >>
    >>Hal Lowe
    >>http://www.halowe-graphics.com/tinc?key=0TmhZVQ5&formname=web_email
    >>http://www.halowe-graphics.com/photo.html (free original video textures)
    >
    > Hal:
    >
    > Try this link: http://www.darkframe.de/SetupDVDTrayPlayerPro230.exe
    >
    > Took 15 seconds to locate via Google, but I don't know whether or not
    > it requires the Microsoft .NET Framework as I haven't installed it.

    Well, I also searched with Google and didn't come up with it. Most likely I
    was entering something wrong. That's why I asked for help.

    Anyway, I'll check out the link and the program.

    Hal.

    Hal <see_post_for_address@post.com> wrote in
    news:1Fs7e.20563$1p4.17167@trndny06 thusly:

    > "Frank" <frank@nojunkmail.humanvalues.net> wrote in message
    >
    >> On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 04:31:44 GMT, in 'rec.video.desktop', in article
    >> <Re: codecs for Windows Media Player?>, "Hal"
    >> <see_post_for_address@post.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>However...
    >>>
    >>>I've been looking for "Marks Tray DVD Player Pro" but can't seem to
    >>>locate it. You don't by any chance have a link(?). The only
    >>>references I've found to it are from people like me who can't seem to
    >>>find it.
    >>>
    >>>Appreciate the link if you or someone else here has it.
    >>
    >> Try this link: http://www.darkframe.de/SetupDVDTrayPlayerPro230.exe
    >>
    >> Took 15 seconds to locate via Google, but I don't know whether or not
    >> it requires the Microsoft .NET Framework as I haven't installed it.
    >
    > Well, I also searched with Google and didn't come up with it. Most
    > likely I was entering something wrong. That's why I asked for help.
    >
    > Anyway, I'll check out the link and the program.

    While the above is the direct download link, here is the link to the
    forum "Sticky" where it can always be found:

    http://www.mmbforums.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=24

    You can use this URL to find updates from the author when they occur.

    --

    Tom

    On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 11:40:45 GMT, in 'rec.video.desktop',
    in article <Re: codecs for Windows Media Player?>,
    "Hal" <see_post_for_address@post.com> wrote:

    >"Frank" <frank@nojunkmail.humanvalues.net> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 04:31:44 GMT, in 'rec.video.desktop',
    >> in article <Re: codecs for Windows Media Player?>,
    >> "Hal" <see_post_for_address@post.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>However...
    >>>
    >>>I've been looking for "Marks Tray DVD Player Pro" but can't seem to locate
    >>>it. You don't by any chance have a link(?). The only references I've
    >>>found
    >>>to it are from people like me who can't seem to find it.
    >>>
    >>>Appreciate the link if you or someone else here has it.
    >>>
    >>>TIA,
    >>>
    >>>Hal Lowe
    >>>http://www.halowe-graphics.com/tinc?key=0TmhZVQ5&formname=web_email
    >>>http://www.halowe-graphics.com/photo.html (free original video textures)
    >>
    >> Hal:
    >>
    >> Try this link: http://www.darkframe.de/SetupDVDTrayPlayerPro230.exe
    >>
    >> Took 15 seconds to locate via Google, but I don't know whether or not
    >> it requires the Microsoft .NET Framework as I haven't installed it.
    >
    >Well, I also searched with Google and didn't come up with it. Most likely I
    >was entering something wrong. That's why I asked for help.

    No problem, Hal, and I didn't mean to insult you in any way, was just
    trying to help, really.

    What I often do with Google is to begin a search with a simple term
    such as "tray" in this case. That, of course, returns lots of hits
    (15,100,000 in this case). Then I use Google's 'Search within results'
    feature to add a second term -- "DVD" in this case. That narrows it
    done to a still quite unmanageable 1,280,000 hits. I then continue
    this 'Search within results' loop until I have a reasonable number of
    possibilities (usually under 5000 or so) and start looking at the
    individual results and following links as they seem most appropriate.

    >Anyway, I'll check out the link and the program.

    Okay, but note that I've never used the program am not therefore
    making an endorsement of any kind for it. I've read claims made by
    some that they had to reinstall DirectX after installing the program,
    which doesn't sound good to me. I've also read that the program
    requires a registered copy of either Mediachance's DVD-lab or DVD-lab
    PRO as a prerequisite, but don't know how true that might be. More
    info at http://www.mediachance.com/

    By the way, although the link that I originally gave you works (using
    a redirection, I suppose), it should have been as follows.

    http://www.darkframe.de/SetupDVDTrayPlayerPro250.exe

    The original bulletin board post announcing this latest version of the
    program, posted by the program's author himself, Mark Hamilton, is
    located at the following URL.

    http://www.mmbforums.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=8250

    You can also download an earlier version of the program via the
    following link.

    http://www.havank.demon.nl/video/files/SetupDVDTrayPlayerPro230.zip

    And this earlier version is also available via the following link.

    http://wcarchive.cdrom.com/pub/simtelnet/win95/mmedmisc/SetUpDVDTrayPlayer.zip

    --

    news:jvct51td564blr4kj9nbn72bkvn32sqb29@4ax.com thusly:

    > I've read claims made by some that they had to reinstall DirectX after
    > installing the program, which doesn't sound good to me.

    I'm using DX 9.0c with DVD Tray Player v2.41 and had no problems
    installing or running the player and no ill effects from DX.

    > I've also read that the program requires a registered copy of either
    > Mediachance's DVD-lab or DVD-lab PRO as a prerequisite, but don't know
    > how true that might be. More info at http://www.mediachance.com/

    I do not have DVD-Lab(Pro) installed and the player works fine. I know
    in the instructions they mention something about this (this is after all
    suppose to be used for DVD-Lab(Pro)), but I have not noticed any lack of
    functionality or instability.

    The thing that you have to be concerned about is which MPEG-2 decoder
    that you use. Apparently, Cyberlink (wrongly) uses the same CLSID as the
    Fraunhofer filters and that could cause problems. If you have the
    Cyberlink filters installed, do not install the Fraunhofer ones. More
    specific information, including how to make both co-exist on your
    system, is available in the vast help file included in the archive. Read
    the manual, please.

    With that said, you should never install software you don't feel
    comfortable with in using. I can only say that everything lives together
    nicely here, but I can't say whether the same will happen for you as it
    depends on your system maintenance habits. I believe there is no reason
    for any problems to materialize, but YMMV.

    --

    Tom

    On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 20:37:42 -0000, in 'rec.video.desktop',
    Tom <Tom@invalid.com> wrote:

    >Frank <frank@nojunkmail.humanvalues.net> wrote in
    >news:jvct51td564blr4kj9nbn72bkvn32sqb29@4ax.com thusly:
    >
    >> I've read claims made by some that they had to reinstall DirectX after
    >> installing the program, which doesn't sound good to me.
    >
    >I'm using DX 9.0c with DVD Tray Player v2.41 and had no problems
    >installing or running the player and no ill effects from DX.
    >
    >> I've also read that the program requires a registered copy of either
    >> Mediachance's DVD-lab or DVD-lab PRO as a prerequisite, but don't know
    >> how true that might be. More info at http://www.mediachance.com/
    >
    >I do not have DVD-Lab(Pro) installed and the player works fine. I know
    >in the instructions they mention something about this (this is after all
    >suppose to be used for DVD-Lab(Pro)), but I have not noticed any lack of
    >functionality or instability.
    >
    >The thing that you have to be concerned about is which MPEG-2 decoder
    >that you use. Apparently, Cyberlink (wrongly) uses the same CLSID as the
    >Fraunhofer filters and that could cause problems. If you have the
    >Cyberlink filters installed, do not install the Fraunhofer ones. More
    >specific information, including how to make both co-exist on your
    >system, is available in the vast help file included in the archive. Read
    >the manual, please.
    >
    >With that said, you should never install software you don't feel
    >comfortable with in using. I can only say that everything lives together
    >nicely here, but I can't say whether the same will happen for you as it
    >depends on your system maintenance habits. I believe there is no reason
    >for any problems to materialize, but YMMV.

    Tom:

    Thank you for this very useful information, and it's good to hear that
    you've not experienced any problems.

    Regards,

    --
    Frank, Independent Consultant, New York, NY
    [Please remove 'nojunkmail.' from address to reply via e-mail.]
    Read Frank's thoughts on HDV at http://www.humanvalues.net/hdv/

Tuner Cards Codec Video Media Player Graphics