Which has best software for computer and transferring pict..

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
August 26, 2005 1:40:11 PM

I am still undecided between which camera to get (I posted about this
is an earlier msg) but I am mostly looking at Kodak and Sony and
possibly Canon. Which is the easiest to use to transfer pictures to a
computer? My parents who I'm getting this for aren't very computer
savvy but will be printing some pictures, emailing some, and printing
some. I want them of course to be able to store them on their hard
drive. I have read up on Easyshare some by Kodak but don't know as
much about Sony's software, Canon's or any others.
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 9:00:50 PM

"MarkW" <markwco@RemoveNoSpamcomcast.net> wrote in message
>I am still undecided between which camera to get (I posted about this
> is an earlier msg) but I am mostly looking at Kodak and Sony and
> possibly Canon. Which is the easiest to use to transfer pictures to a
> computer? My parents who I'm getting this for aren't very computer
> savvy but will be printing some pictures, emailing some, and printing
> some. I want them of course to be able to store them on their hard
> drive. I have read up on Easyshare some by Kodak but don't know as
> much about Sony's software, Canon's or any others.

If you are using Window XP, you do not need extra software for most Digital
Cameras, just USB.

Digital cameras look like Removable Disks to Windows XP.
You can just Copy and Paste or Drag and Drop the images.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 09:40:11 -0700, MarkW wrote:

>I am still undecided between which camera to get (I posted about this
>is an earlier msg) but I am mostly looking at Kodak and Sony and
>possibly Canon. Which is the easiest to use to transfer pictures to a
>computer? My parents who I'm getting this for aren't very computer
>savvy but will be printing some pictures, emailing some, and printing
>some. I want them of course to be able to store them on their hard
>drive. I have read up on Easyshare some by Kodak but don't know as
>much about Sony's software, Canon's or any others.

Google's Picasa 2 will let you import (i.e. copy) pics from all
digital cameras - wheter it comes up in Explorer as a drive-letter
or digital camera. No need for specialized software from the camera
manufacturer!

It will let you select individual pictures to put them into an
album, which is easy to upload to the printer (service) later or
keep as albums of events, happenings, birthdays - just name them and
move them!

An obvious advantage is that it's available now (for free) and can
be tested /before/ getting a digital camera.
August 28, 2005 12:57:14 AM

I agree with CSMI. In Win.XP there is every thing you need to handle a
digital Camera...
Why complicate matters with other software, to begin with that is...
I have had a Dig/Cam for several years now, I've tried the Kodak & Canon
Software, & others.
Each time I have returned to Win.XP. Hard to beat.
Remember the KISS principal...keep it simple stupid...D

"CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message
> "MarkW" <markwco@RemoveNoSpamcomcast.net> wrote in message
>>I am still undecided between which camera to get (I posted about this
>> is an earlier msg) but I am mostly looking at Kodak and Sony and
>> possibly Canon. Which is the easiest to use to transfer pictures to a
>> computer? My parents who I'm getting this for aren't very computer
>> savvy but will be printing some pictures, emailing some, and printing
>> some. I want them of course to be able to store them on their hard
>> drive. I have read up on Easyshare some by Kodak but don't know as
>> much about Sony's software, Canon's or any others.
>
> If you are using Window XP, you do not need extra software for most
> Digital Cameras, just USB.
>
> Digital cameras look like Removable Disks to Windows XP.
> You can just Copy and Paste or Drag and Drop the images.
>
> --
> CSM1
> http://www.carlmcmillan.com

August 28, 2005 5:22:50 AM

Seems like WinXP does have a lot built in but as well I just
downloaded Picasa2 and all I can say is, WOW! It did take away the
part of looking at what software the camera comes with. As well, in
addition to giving it to my parents I'm going to be using Picasa on my
computer.
!