PAL VOBS to NTSC

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
April 12, 2005 11:55:25 PM

Best way to convert PAL vobs to NTSC, anyone??

cheers

More about : pal vobs ntsc

Anonymous
April 12, 2005 11:55:26 PM

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 19:55:25 GMT, "NIN" <NIN@aol.com> wrote:

>Best way to convert PAL vobs to NTSC, anyone??
>
>cheers

Are they progressive or interlaced frames?
April 13, 2005 8:04:21 PM

"da_test" <davexnet02NO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
news:p jjo51t313ikvbfbhg6innp5c8erfuu6b4@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 19:55:25 GMT, "NIN" <NIN@aol.com> wrote:
>
>>Best way to convert PAL vobs to NTSC, anyone??
>>
>>cheers
>>
> Are they progressive or interlaced frames?

progressive :(
April 14, 2005 7:27:35 PM

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 16:04:21 GMT, "NIN" <NIN@aol.com> wrote:

>"da_test" <davexnet02NO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>news:p jjo51t313ikvbfbhg6innp5c8erfuu6b4@4ax.com...
>> On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 19:55:25 GMT, "NIN" <NIN@aol.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Best way to convert PAL vobs to NTSC, anyone??
>>>
>>>cheers
>>>
>> Are they progressive or interlaced frames?
>
>progressive :(

Actually, that makes things easier. Do you want to preserve
the menus or will just the actual content be okay for you?

Neil Nadelman arvy@navzr-genafyngbe.pbz (ROT13)
I have no fears in life,
for I have already survived Theta-G!
April 15, 2005 1:06:44 AM

"Neil Nadelman" <arvy@navzr-genafyngbe.pbz (ROT13)> wrote in message
> On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 16:04:21 GMT, "NIN" <NIN@aol.com> wrote:
>

>>"da_test" <davexnet02NO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>>news:p jjo51t313ikvbfbhg6innp5c8erfuu6b4@4ax.com...

>>> Are they progressive or interlaced frames?
>>
>>progressive :(
>
> Actually, that makes things easier. Do you want to preserve
> the menus or will just the actual content be okay for you?

> Neil Nadelman arvy@navzr-genafyngbe.pbz (ROT13)

no menus needed Neil, just got the VOBS of the footage i need thats all:)
appreciate the help
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 2:50:41 PM

Generally the technique to change PAL to NTSC if it's progressive,
for best results, is to slow
the video down from 25 fps to 23.976 fps (and use a tool to stretch the
audio by a factor
of 104.27 % - I use sound forge)
The video will need to be reencoded to change the video lines (vertical
res) from 576 to 480.

There are hundreds of tools; there may be some that do the whole thing.
However, here's a possible solution. You'll need virtualdub, dvd2avi,
vfapi,
smartripper and an mpeg2 encoder.
Rip the dvd with smartripper. Examine the frames in dvd2avi, confirm
it is progressive and save
the d2v "project". Use vfapi, open the d2v, and create an avi project.

Open the avi in virtualdub, resize to 720*480 and set the frame rate to
23.976.
Frameserve to an mpeg2 encoder and select NTSC DVD. You may need to
choose
23.976 and 3:2 pulldown. I use Tmpgenc encoder.
Here's more info
http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Articles/PALvsNTSC/PALvsNT...
and general help: http://www.videohelp.com/
Dave
April 16, 2005 2:09:35 AM

da_test <davexnet01@yahoo.com> wrote in
news:1113587441.475244.210160@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com thusly:

> Generally the technique to change PAL to NTSC if it's progressive, for
> best results, is to slow the video down from 25 fps to 23.976 fps (and
> use a tool to stretch the audio by a factor of 104.27 % - I use sound
> forge) The video will need to be reencoded to change the video lines
> (vertical res) from 576 to 480.
>
> There are hundreds of tools; there may be some that do the whole
> thing. However, here's a possible solution. You'll need virtualdub,
> dvd2avi, vfapi, smartripper and an mpeg2 encoder. Rip the dvd with
> smartripper. Examine the frames in dvd2avi, confirm it is progressive
> and save the d2v "project". Use vfapi, open the d2v, and create an
> avi project.
>
> Open the avi in virtualdub, resize to 720*480 and set the frame rate
> to 23.976. Frameserve to an mpeg2 encoder and select NTSC DVD. You
> may need to choose 23.976 and 3:2 pulldown. I use Tmpgenc encoder.
> Here's more info
> http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Articles/PALvsNTSC/PALvsNT... and
> general help: http://www.videohelp.com/ Dave

Alternatively, spend $60 at Circuit City and buy a DVD player that is
multi-region. Then it doesn't matter if its PAL or NTSC. Saves a lot of
time and you'll never have to worry about PAL on a NTSC TV again. :)

--

Tom
Anonymous

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 21:06:44 GMT, "NIN" <NIN@aol.com> wrote:

>no menus needed Neil, just got the VOBS of the footage i need thats all:)
> appreciate the help

Okay, then it's actually pretty easy to do. What you need to
do is rip the DVD to your hard drive using DVD Decrypter in IFO mode
with stream processing turned on. Remember to click over to the
stream processing tab and select each video and audio stream you wish
to extract and choose to demux them. What you'll end up with are the
individual audio and video streams from the DVDs.

Now, the usual method from this point was to slow the
framerate to 23.975 and resize to 720x480, but this also involved
having to slow down the audio as well to keep sync. However, some
clever folks at doom9.org came up with a utility called dgPulldown
which allows you to process 25 fps footage to play back at 29.976 fps
on NTSC DVD players by setting a special pulldown flag sequence on the
MPEG file.

All you need to do is take the extracted video streams, load
them into an MPEG encoder (i.e. TMPGenc, Procoder, Cinema Craft),
resize to 720x480 and then encode as 25 fps/progressive. Once the new
MPEGs are made, you process them with dgPulldown, then load them into
the DVD authoring package of your choice and author a new disc using
the original sound streams.

Alternatively, you can buy a $30 DVD player at Best Buy, use a
region hack to make it region free, and let it play the disc back on
your NTSC monitor.
!