Best codec and encoder for batch converting mpeg and avi

I have a significant amount of avi and mpeg files in a 120mb
directory/folder on that I would like to keep a small copy of on the
harddrive for reference while reclaiming space. They mostly are videos
of people talking, so I may as well convert them to 160x120 or 320x240.
My aim is to convert a, say, 700mb avi/mpeg file to a ~50mb file.
What's the best codec to use, and what's the best encoder (i'm looking
for codec/encoder combination) that I can use to make a batch
conversion job of them, because doing it one by one with virtualdub is
getting a little tedious, and I don't really have time to learn how to
script it and i'm not even sure scripting can do it (if it does, can I
use a wildcard for file titles), and while virtualdub will process
files in a directory, the directory they're in contain videos that i
don't need to convert, moving them to a directory will probably tax the
hard drive unnecessarily that if I can avoid it I'd prefer to (they
probably are ~80mb). Also, the encoder should have a task priority
option so that I can put it on low or idle and can still use the
computer (or should I just do this from windows task management and not
worry about this issue?).

Thanks
1 answer Last reply
More about best codec encoder batch converting mpeg

    casiocult...@gmail.com wrote:
    > I have a significant amount of avi and mpeg files in a 120mb
    > directory/folder on that I would like to keep a small copy of on the
    > harddrive for reference while reclaiming space. They mostly are
    videos
    > of people talking, so I may as well convert them to 160x120 or
    320x240.
    > My aim is to convert a, say, 700mb avi/mpeg file to a ~50mb file.
    > What's the best codec to use, and what's the best encoder (i'm
    looking
    > for codec/encoder combination) that I can use to make a batch
    > conversion job of them, because doing it one by one with virtualdub
    is
    > getting a little tedious, and I don't really have time to learn how
    > script it and i'm not even sure scripting can do it (if it does, can
    > use a wildcard for file titles), and while virtualdub will process
    > files in a directory, the directory they're in contain videos that i
    > don't need to convert, moving them to a directory will probably tax
    the
    > hard drive unnecessarily that if I can avoid it I'd prefer to (they
    > probably are ~80mb). Also, the encoder should have a task priority
    > option so that I can put it on low or idle and can still use the
    > computer (or should I just do this from windows task management and
    not
    > worry about this issue?).
    >
    > Thanks

    It's OK everyone. I found dubman. Nice program to make job scripts for
    vritualdub.

Tuner Cards MPEG Codec AVI Graphics