Best codec and encoder for batch converting mpeg and avi

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 12, 2005 5:34:00 PM

I have a significant amount of avi and mpeg files in a 120mb
directory/folder on that I would like to keep a small copy of on the
harddrive for reference while reclaiming space. They mostly are videos
of people talking, so I may as well convert them to 160x120 or 320x240.
My aim is to convert a, say, 700mb avi/mpeg file to a ~50mb file.
What's the best codec to use, and what's the best encoder (i'm looking
for codec/encoder combination) that I can use to make a batch
conversion job of them, because doing it one by one with virtualdub is
getting a little tedious, and I don't really have time to learn how to
script it and i'm not even sure scripting can do it (if it does, can I
use a wildcard for file titles), and while virtualdub will process
files in a directory, the directory they're in contain videos that i
don't need to convert, moving them to a directory will probably tax the
hard drive unnecessarily that if I can avoid it I'd prefer to (they
probably are ~80mb). Also, the encoder should have a task priority
option so that I can put it on low or idle and can still use the
computer (or should I just do this from windows task management and not
worry about this issue?).

Thanks
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 10:46:27 PM

casiocult...@gmail.com wrote:
> I have a significant amount of avi and mpeg files in a 120mb
> directory/folder on that I would like to keep a small copy of on the
> harddrive for reference while reclaiming space. They mostly are
videos
> of people talking, so I may as well convert them to 160x120 or
320x240.
> My aim is to convert a, say, 700mb avi/mpeg file to a ~50mb file.
> What's the best codec to use, and what's the best encoder (i'm
looking
> for codec/encoder combination) that I can use to make a batch
> conversion job of them, because doing it one by one with virtualdub
is
> getting a little tedious, and I don't really have time to learn how
> script it and i'm not even sure scripting can do it (if it does, can
> use a wildcard for file titles), and while virtualdub will process
> files in a directory, the directory they're in contain videos that i
> don't need to convert, moving them to a directory will probably tax
the
> hard drive unnecessarily that if I can avoid it I'd prefer to (they
> probably are ~80mb). Also, the encoder should have a task priority
> option so that I can put it on low or idle and can still use the
> computer (or should I just do this from windows task management and
not
> worry about this issue?).
>
> Thanks

It's OK everyone. I found dubman. Nice program to make job scripts for
vritualdub.
!