Remote desktop over Internet

April 29, 2005 4:24:01 PM

Hi there,
Is it possible to access a XP PC over the Internet using remote desktop ?
without using VPN .
I have cable DSL router , If I do prot forwarding for 3389 , Can I access
this PC over the internet using remote desktp ?
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 1:31:15 AM

Jey wrote:
> Is it possible to access a XP PC over the Internet using remote
> desktop ? without using VPN .
> I have cable DSL router , If I do prot forwarding for 3389 , Can I
> access this PC over the internet using remote desktp ?

If you allow the port through your firewall, have Windows XP Professional
and your ISP doesn't block that port.

--
<- Shenan ->
April 30, 2005 4:36:44 PM

Jey wrote:
> Hi there,
> Is it possible to access a XP PC over the Internet using remote
> desktop ? without using VPN .
> I have cable DSL router , If I do prot forwarding for 3389 , Can I
> access this PC over the internet using remote desktp ?

In addition to Shenan's reply, since you're likely on a dynamic public IP,
see www.dyndns.org or similar so you don't need to know the current IP
address. And it's best if the LAN IP of the XP Pro box is static (or a DHCP
reservation) to make the forwarding work right.
April 30, 2005 9:04:19 PM

In addition to the comments of the others you can also run RDP through a SSH tunnel for added
security...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/SSH...

General RDP help...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/Rem...

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Jey" <Jey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi there,
> Is it possible to access a XP PC over the Internet using remote desktop ?
> without using VPN .
> I have cable DSL router , If I do prot forwarding for 3389 , Can I access
> this PC over the internet using remote desktp ?
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 12:10:03 PM

Thanks For your help. One more thing ...
Is RDP connection over interney is encrypted or cleat text ?

"Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

> In addition to the comments of the others you can also run RDP through a SSH tunnel for added
> security...
>
> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/SSH...
>
> General RDP help...
>
> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/Rem...
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> "Jey" <Jey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi there,
> > Is it possible to access a XP PC over the Internet using remote desktop ?
> > without using VPN .
> > I have cable DSL router , If I do prot forwarding for 3389 , Can I access
> > this PC over the internet using remote desktp ?

Anonymous
May 2, 2005 2:37:42 PM

RDP is encrypted...

"Encryption. RDP uses RSA Security's RC4 cipher, a stream cipher designed to efficiently encrypt
small amounts of data. RC4 is designed for secure communications over networks. Beginning with
Windows 2000, administrators can choose to encrypt data using a 56- or 128-bit key."

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/libr...

With that said, I still run RDP through a SSH tunnel into my home LAN. In my case I use a 2048-bit
private/public key pair with a strong pass-phrase...

--

!