Need Advice On Making CS:CZ maps to play offline with bots

I am a total noob, I never play Counter strike until I bought Condition
Zero Cds last month.
Since then I have played CZ offline non-stop and also attempted to make
some maps to play with bots using Valve Hammer Editor....
I would like to have some of your advices regarding designing maps for
maximum fun factors, even with bots.
I have studied a few stock maps with Cz and realised they all feature
very long winded routes entertwined for users (or bots) to run along
and come across each other thus catching each other by surprise, the
bots pathways must be connecting with each other....lots of crates,
obtascles to camp and snipe...etc...
Interconnection, is it the word?
I would like to have your advices to design a better Cz map to play with
bots.
Thanks and Regards,
Daniel.
4 answers Last reply
More about need advice making maps play offline bots

    I like doing a lot of unusual things in a map. Some of my favorites are :
    Have guns or equipment laying on the floor, usually in spots where you can
    easily be seen when you pick them up. ( it's a free gun, but should I risk
    getting shot when I grab it ? )
    Alter wierd stuff - like buttons on the wall that change gravity, slippery
    floors, and "traps" with a sense of humor. One of my maps has a sign
    "elevator" next to a glowing spot on the floor, which teleports you 2,000
    feet in the air. ( Wow, I'm way up here! - oh no, I'm falling! CRUNCH ! )
    Another map has a sign "observation area" on a spot that teleports you to
    the top of a tower. You can see everyone, but everybody can see you too.
    First aid kits that work, mazes with glass walls, things that explode when
    you shoot them, lava , flowing water, air ducts you can shoot open and crawl
    around in.

    I think my favorite style are maps similar to "de_rats" and "cs_mice" ,
    where the players are about four inches tall and run around a giant-sized
    house.

    Vehicles can be a lot of fun too. ( While testing my maps it seems like I've
    seen "<BCA> LEI 10 SEA killed self with vehicle" around half a billlion
    times)

    A round I played on my map "ratz_tacky6" featured a shootout between a
    Terrorist piloting a toy x-wing fighter vs. a CT flying a MIG29 model. The
    airborne shootout ended with both aircraft above the (giant-sized)
    television. Someone shot the TV and it exploded, knocking both "pilots" into
    the air, where they promptly fell to their doom.

    Of course, if you like "normal" , "standard" maps you probably don't want
    advice from me.
    <huge grin>

    If you want copies of the maps I've made, I'll be happy to email them. Most
    of them are 800k to 2 meg each, but a few are smaller.

    If you want specific advice, like "how do I make a button that changes
    gravity?" I'll be happy to help.

    Don't feel bad about being new. I lost a lot when I got started playing CS.
    Everyone does.

    After 3 years of practice, I'm "about average". Maybe that's why I spend 4
    times as much time making maps as playing.

    <BCA> LEI 10 SEA

    "daniel" <noneed@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > I am a total noob, I never play Counter strike until I bought Condition
    > Zero Cds last month.
    > Since then I have played CZ offline non-stop and also attempted to make
    > some maps to play with bots using Valve Hammer Editor....
    > I would like to have some of your advices regarding designing maps for
    > maximum fun factors, even with bots.
    > I have studied a few stock maps with Cz and realised they all feature
    > very long winded routes entertwined for users (or bots) to run along
    > and come across each other thus catching each other by surprise, the
    > bots pathways must be connecting with each other....lots of crates,
    > obtascles to camp and snipe...etc...
    > Interconnection, is it the word?
    > I would like to have your advices to design a better Cz map to play with
    > bots.
    > Thanks and Regards,
    > Daniel.

    Wow,
    Thanks for your great advices on ideas to make map fun....
    I really am impressed with the knowledge you have acquired in mapping (teleport,
    setting gravity, lava, flowing water, vehicles, airplanes etc...) I do not know
    how to implement these features into my maps yet, therefore I think I have a lot
    more and more to learn.
    Please send me some of your mentioned maps to this email address:
    tnguyen1au@yahoo.com.au
    I would like to learn also how you implement a model (*.mdl ?) of a plane into
    a map...I can never manage to put a mdl model into map...although I have
    downloaded a few customed mdls model from the web, and also would you please
    specify for me how to trigger a change of gravity in the map.
    I really like to make maps with the cool features that you mentioned, would like
    to learn more from you.
    Thanks and regards,
    Daniel Ng.

    Limnophile wrote:

> [...]
    >
    > <BCA> LEI 10 SEA
    >
    > "daniel" <noneed@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > > I am a total noob, I never play Counter strike until I bought Condition
    > > Zero Cds last month.
    > > Since then I have played CZ offline non-stop and also attempted to make
    > > some maps to play with bots using Valve Hammer Editor....
    > > I would like to have some of your advices regarding designing maps for
    > > maximum fun factors, even with bots.
    > > I have studied a few stock maps with Cz and realised they all feature
    > > very long winded routes entertwined for users (or bots) to run along
    > > and come across each other thus catching each other by surprise, the
    > > bots pathways must be connecting with each other....lots of crates,
    > > obtascles to camp and snipe...etc...
    > > Interconnection, is it the word?
    > > I would like to have your advices to design a better Cz map to play with

    I just sent you an email with one of my maps attached. I hope you like it.
    I have to run off to work, more later.

    Limnophile

    > Wow,
    > Thanks for your great advices on ideas to make map fun....
    > I really am impressed with the knowledge you have acquired in mapping
    (teleport,
    > setting gravity, lava, flowing water, vehicles, airplanes etc...) I do not
    know
    > how to implement these features into my maps yet, therefore I think I have
    a lot
    > more and more to learn.
    > Please send me some of your mentioned maps to this email address:
    > tnguyen1au@yahoo.com.au
    > I would like to learn also how you implement a model (*.mdl ?) of a plane
    into
    > a map...I can never manage to put a mdl model into map...although I have
    > downloaded a few customed mdls model from the web, and also would you
    please
    > specify for me how to trigger a change of gravity in the map.
    > I really like to make maps with the cool features that you mentioned,
    would like
    > to learn more from you.
    > Thanks and regards,
    > Daniel Ng.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

    I posted some of my maps to the group alt.binaries.games.half-life .
    Take a look, I hope you like.
    <BCA> LEI 10 SEA

    "Limnophile" <kjennings0421REMOVE@charterSPAMBLOCK.net> wrote in message
    > I just sent you an email with one of my maps attached. I hope you like it.
    > I have to run off to work, more later.
    >
    > Limnophile
    >
    > "daniel" <noneed@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > > Wow,
    > > Thanks for your great advices on ideas to make map fun....
    > > I really am impressed with the knowledge you have acquired in mapping
    > (teleport,
    > > setting gravity, lava, flowing water, vehicles, airplanes etc...) I do
    not
    > know
    > > how to implement these features into my maps yet, therefore I think I
    have
    > a lot
    > > more and more to learn.
    > > Please send me some of your mentioned maps to this email address:
    > > tnguyen1au@yahoo.com.au
    > > I would like to learn also how you implement a model (*.mdl ?) of a
    plane
    > into
    > > a map...I can never manage to put a mdl model into map...although I have
    > > downloaded a few customed mdls model from the web, and also would you
    > please
    > > specify for me how to trigger a change of gravity in the map.
    > > I really like to make maps with the cool features that you mentioned,
    > would like
    > > to learn more from you.
    > > Thanks and regards,
    > > Daniel Ng.