Q. for digital video guru's

Hello,
Is it possible to create a virtualdub filter to mitigate the kind of
banding caused by too much compression?

I simulate the banding with this JPG of a smooth gradient:
http://home.comcast.net/~davetest/Untitled-1.jpg

Appreciate it's a bit of a long shot, but I thought I'd ask anyway.
Cheers,
Dave

"da_test" <davexnet02NO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> Is it possible to create a virtualdub filter to mitigate the kind of
> banding caused by too much compression?
>
> I simulate the banding with this JPG of a smooth gradient:
> http://home.comcast.net/~davetest/Untitled-1.jpg
>
> Appreciate it's a bit of a long shot, but I thought I'd ask anyway.
> Cheers,
> Dave

If you really meant "virtualdub" then I guess you are talking
about some MPEG4/Dvix/Xvid .avi compression. Surely
you don't mean the 5:1 DV-AVI ?

I would try having Vdub use a different codec to read your
file; and using whatever settings are available for the codec;
before trying to find such a filter at any of the filter sites on the
web.

Luck;
Ken

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 20:31:23 -0500, "Ken Maltby"
<kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>"da_test" <davexnet02NO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>> Is it possible to create a virtualdub filter to mitigate the kind of
>> banding caused by too much compression?
>>
>> I simulate the banding with this JPG of a smooth gradient:
>> http://home.comcast.net/~davetest/Untitled-1.jpg
>>
>> Appreciate it's a bit of a long shot, but I thought I'd ask anyway.
>> Cheers,
>> Dave
>
> If you really meant "virtualdub" then I guess you are talking
>about some MPEG4/Dvix/Xvid .avi compression. Surely
>you don't mean the 5:1 DV-AVI ?
>
> I would try having Vdub use a different codec to read your
>file; and using whatever settings are available for the codec;
>before trying to find such a filter at any of the filter sites on the
>web.
>
>Luck;
> Ken

Ken, as you guessed, it is AVI and virtualdub I'm
referring to, and they are compressed clips,
divx I think.

I don't think it's a case of hoping another codec will help;
the right one is being used.
I was looking at this as a form of chroma noise reduction.
I've tried a bunch of filters in virtualdub, but they don't really
address this problem. It's not really noise.

The reason I provided the jpg is because it gives an indication
of the banding involved and the conditions.
The gradient should be a smooth transition from dark to light
without any of the banding, which is an artifact of the
compression.
Same thing happens in the compresed avi when the scene conditions
are right. I'm really interested in this from an academic point of
view - can something be done? The AVI's I have that I noticed this
are inconsequential.
Thanks,
Dave

"da_test" wrote ...
> The reason I provided the jpg is because it gives an
> indication of the banding involved and the conditions.
> The gradient should be a smooth transition from dark
> to light without any of the banding, which is an artifact
> of the compression.

If you just want to correct this kind of artifact on a
smooth ramp (like your example) it is simple enough.

But if you are talking about real-life images (and *moving*
images at that!), it crosses the border well towards
*unlikely*, at least IMHO. It is easy for our eye/brain
processing to see the effect, even in real-life images, but
you can't capture that kind of "artificial inteligence" to
reliably judge what was intended and what is an artifact
of digitizing. I've seen this effect refered to as "coring".
Might turn up something on Google?

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 20:30:03 -0700, "Richard Crowley"
<rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote:

>"da_test" wrote ...
>> The reason I provided the jpg is because it gives an
>> indication of the banding involved and the conditions.
>> The gradient should be a smooth transition from dark
>> to light without any of the banding, which is an artifact
>> of the compression.
>
>If you just want to correct this kind of artifact on a
>smooth ramp (like your example) it is simple enough.
>
>But if you are talking about real-life images (and *moving*
>images at that!), it crosses the border well towards
>*unlikely*, at least IMHO. It is easy for our eye/brain
>processing to see the effect, even in real-life images, but
>you can't capture that kind of "artificial inteligence" to
>reliably judge what was intended and what is an artifact
>of digitizing. I've seen this effect refered to as "coring".
>Might turn up something on Google?

Hi Richard,
Yes, I knew it wouldn't be easy -
but saying that, some clever people have come up with some
pretty inventive ways of looking at things and creating
algorithms - so who knows?

Thanks for the tip on "coring", never heard of it,
but I'm going to look now.

Dave

> On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 20:31:23 -0500, "Ken Maltby"

> Ken, as you guessed, it is AVI and virtualdub I'm
> referring to, and they are compressed clips,
> divx I think.
>
> I don't think it's a case of hoping another codec will help;
> the right one is being used.
> I was looking at this as a form of chroma noise reduction.

Perhaps the current codec or a different codec has settings
to modify how any "chroma noise reduction" is applied. This
could work if the effects you are noticing were not a result
of the initial encoding but were a matter of how it is being
decoded/uncompressed.

If the effects that you are noticing were introduced during
the initial compression (although what you are seeing may
not even be an effect of compression, but some other factor)
then any correction would be as a change to the legitimate
image. If this is the case then you would have to indicate to
any "correction" process where to apply the change. Other-
wise it would only be possible to have it respond to every
occurrence that matches the mathematical results of an image
analyzing algorithm.

> I've tried a bunch of filters in virtualdub, but they don't really
> address this problem. It's not really noise.

Not all Vdub "Filters" actually filter anything, some can alter
legitimate image properties. In the case of your gradient
example, there is a "RegionRemove.vdf" that could fix what
you describe, but it would take a great deal of interaction to
apply the "filter" at each occurrence.

> The reason I provided the jpg is because it gives an indication
> of the banding involved and the conditions.
> The gradient should be a smooth transition from dark to light
> without any of the banding, which is an artifact of the
> compression.

(It can also be an effect of how your graphic program makes
a gradient. In fact there could be a similar involved.)

Are you saying this because you have seen the image before
it was compressed, and it was without this effect then? You
can't see how it looks while it is compressed, so you can't
determine directly if the effect occurred during the compression
as opposed to when it was rendered. The best you can do is
try different rendering codec, and settings to see if you can
isolate the factors involved. If the effect remains under a
number of different rendering codec, then it suggests that the
problem was introduced during the initial encoding (or before).

> Same thing happens in the compressed avi when the scene conditions
> are right. I'm really interested in this from an academic point of
> view - can something be done? The AVI's I have that I noticed this
> are inconsequential.
> Thanks,
> Dave

Perhaps a real "Video Gurus" will provide a detailed
explanation of the cause of the effect you are noticing.
Or they may direct you to any of the many web sites,
archived tech articles, and discussions that address
related issues.

You could spend many years just reading all that is
out there on MPEG compression. Most of it tries to
addresses means of producing the most compression
and/or the least negative effects. The amount of
verbiage and mathematical expression expended, for
the tiniest return, can boggle the senses.

Luck;
Ken

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 22:12:56 -0500, "Ken Maltby"
<kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
<very big snip>

Ken, the artifacts were introduced during the encoding, by virtue
of the compression algorithm. I guess color bandwidth is sacrificed;
not enough bits to display the smooth change in the gradient,
so it "blocks" it.
All I'm asking is, given the state that it's now in,
is there an existing filter that may "improve" the look of
said image problem?
If so, what is the name of the existing filter?

If no filter currently exists, is it feasible that a filter
could be designed to help with this kind of problem?

> On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 22:12:56 -0500, "Ken Maltby"
> <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> <very big snip>
>
> Ken, the artifacts were introduced during the encoding, by virtue
> of the compression algorithm. I guess color bandwidth is sacrificed;
> not enough bits to display the smooth change in the gradient,
> so it "blocks" it.
> All I'm asking is, given the state that it's now in,
> is there an existing filter that may "improve" the look of
> said image problem?
> If so, what is the name of the existing filter?
>
> If no filter currently exists, is it feasible that a filter
> could be designed to help with this kind of problem?
>
> Dave

Ok; maybe and yes.

Luck;
Ken

> On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 20:30:03 -0700, "Richard Crowley"
> <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote:
>
>>"da_test" wrote ...
>>> The reason I provided the jpg is because it gives an
>>> indication of the banding involved and the conditions.
>>> The gradient should be a smooth transition from dark
>>> to light without any of the banding, which is an artifact
>>> of the compression.
>>
>>If you just want to correct this kind of artifact on a
>>smooth ramp (like your example) it is simple enough.
>>
>>But if you are talking about real-life images (and *moving*
>>images at that!), it crosses the border well towards
>>*unlikely*, at least IMHO. It is easy for our eye/brain
>>processing to see the effect, even in real-life images, but
>>you can't capture that kind of "artificial inteligence" to
>>reliably judge what was intended and what is an artifact
>>of digitizing. I've seen this effect refered to as "coring".
>>Might turn up something on Google?
>
> Hi Richard,
> Yes, I knew it wouldn't be easy -
> but saying that, some clever people have come up with some
> pretty inventive ways of looking at things and creating
> algorithms - so who knows?
>
> Thanks for the tip on "coring", never heard of it,
> but I'm going to look now.
>
> Dave

I find it curious that someone can claim sufficient
knowledge of the compression methods involved to
make the following statement :
"Ken, the artifacts were introduced during the encoding, by
virtue of the compression algorithm."
would not be able to establish whether the effect were
reversible or not.

If he knows that it is "by virtue of the compression
algorithm"; then he must know the mechanism causing
the problem. Of course it is even more perplexing
when you consider he may not even know which
"compression algorithm" was used, given :

"Ken, as you guessed, it is AVI and virtualdub I'm
referring to, and they are compressed clips,
divx I think."

It may in fact be an effect of the compression. Also,
whether caused by compression or not, it may be that
dithering applied during the rendering could solve this
problem (as another poster mentioned).

As he can claim this in depth and determinative
understanding of this issue, there is little more that I
can suggest than I already have.

Luck;
Ken

da_test wrote:

> Ken, the artifacts were introduced during the encoding, by virtue
> of the compression algorithm. I guess color bandwidth is sacrificed;
> not enough bits to display the smooth change in the gradient,
> so it "blocks" it.
> All I'm asking is, given the state that it's now in,
> is there an existing filter that may "improve" the look of
> said image problem?
> If so, what is the name of the existing filter?

See the following filters for VirtualDub:

VirtualDub MSU Deblocking Filter (removes blocky compression
artifacts, just the way you describe):
<http://compression.ru/video/deblocking/index_en.html>

Optimized 2D Cleaner:
<http://neuron2.net/2dcleaner.html>

--
znark

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 10:46:32 +0300, "Jukka Aho" <jukka.aho@iki.fi>
wrote:

>VirtualDub MSU Deblocking Filter (removes blocky compression
>artifacts, just the way you describe):
> <http://compression.ru/video/deblocking/index_en.html>

A fantastic filter.

Now, he should use this one: http://neuron2.net/winhistogram.html

Jukka Aho wrote:
> da_test wrote:
>
> > Ken, the artifacts were introduced during the encoding, by virtue
> > of the compression algorithm. I guess color bandwidth is
sacrificed;
> > not enough bits to display the smooth change in the gradient,
> > so it "blocks" it.
> > All I'm asking is, given the state that it's now in,
> > is there an existing filter that may "improve" the look of
> > said image problem?
> > If so, what is the name of the existing filter?
>
> See the following filters for VirtualDub:
>
> VirtualDub MSU Deblocking Filter (removes blocky compression
> artifacts, just the way you describe):
> <http://compression.ru/video/deblocking/index_en.html>
>
> Optimized 2D Cleaner:
> <http://neuron2.net/2dcleaner.html>
>
> --
> znark

Thanks for the info. For some reason the MSU filter does not work on
my nachine. I'm suspecting some incompatibilty with the cpu,
but I'm not sure. It an AMD 1.2 GHZ from 2001.
Dave

da_test wrote:

>> VirtualDub MSU Deblocking Filter (removes blocky compression
>> artifacts, just the way you describe):
>> <http://compression.ru/video/deblocking/index_en.html>

> Thanks for the info. For some reason the MSU filter does not
> work on my nachine. I'm suspecting some incompatibilty with
> the cpu, but I'm not sure. It an AMD 1.2 GHZ from 2001.
> Dave

Yes, it appears to be sensitive to the source video resolution, for some
reason. For example, it seems to process a 320x240 pixel source clip
well but some other sizes are problematic and it does practically
nothing for them. (You can try this by resizing the source video to
320x240 in the filter chain _before_ applying the MSU filter, just to
see if it makes any difference.)

I think there are some other VirtualDub or AviSynth filters for this
specific purpose as well, but can't remember their names.

--
znark