rdpdd.dll problem

I have a freak problem with Remote Desktop under WinXP Pro SP2. When I try to
open a session, it says connecting for a few seconds and the window then just
closes without an error message. The machine I'm trying to connect to then
records the following error message 8 times in the system event protocol:
Application popup: : \SystemRoot\System32\RDPDD.dll failed to load
So the remote desktop display driver won't load on the host machine...But
why??
The dll itself seems to be fine. I ran system restore. It's version
5.1.2600.2180 and a file size of 92,168 bytes.
The machine has all the latest patches and all the latest drivers.
This problem started around the time when MS released its latest security
patches. Around that time, I also updated my nVidia display drivers to the
then newest version (installed the newest one just yesterday). I can't
remember whether it still worked after installing the newer nVidia drivers,
or not. I think it did.

Any ideas?

Patrick Schmid

Try going back to a restore point created prior to updating the nVidia drivers.

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"pdschmid" <pdschmid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a freak problem with Remote Desktop under WinXP Pro SP2. When I try to
> open a session, it says connecting for a few seconds and the window then just
> closes without an error message. The machine I'm trying to connect to then
> records the following error message 8 times in the system event protocol:
> Application popup: : \SystemRoot\System32\RDPDD.dll failed to load
> So the remote desktop display driver won't load on the host machine...But
> why??
> The dll itself seems to be fine. I ran system restore. It's version
> 5.1.2600.2180 and a file size of 92,168 bytes.
> The machine has all the latest patches and all the latest drivers.
> This problem started around the time when MS released its latest security
> patches. Around that time, I also updated my nVidia display drivers to the
> then newest version (installed the newest one just yesterday). I can't
> remember whether it still worked after installing the newer nVidia drivers,
> or not. I think it did.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Patrick Schmid

Also try running sfc /scannow to make sure that the particular DLL is
not corrupted...

I am having this problem also, but for about a week it went away and now it
has returned. I don't have a restore point that goes back to when I first
noticed it, and sfc /scannow didn't help (although it did seem to need to
replace some files because it requested the cd).

Is there any way to force remote desktop to create some more debugging
information?

Thanks everyone.

"pdschmid" wrote:

> I have a freak problem with Remote Desktop under WinXP Pro SP2. When I try to
> open a session, it says connecting for a few seconds and the window then just
> closes without an error message. The machine I'm trying to connect to then
> records the following error message 8 times in the system event protocol:
> Application popup: : \SystemRoot\System32\RDPDD.dll failed to load
> So the remote desktop display driver won't load on the host machine...But
> why??
> The dll itself seems to be fine. I ran system restore. It's version
> 5.1.2600.2180 and a file size of 92,168 bytes.
> The machine has all the latest patches and all the latest drivers.
> This problem started around the time when MS released its latest security
> patches. Around that time, I also updated my nVidia display drivers to the
> then newest version (installed the newest one just yesterday). I can't
> remember whether it still worked after installing the newer nVidia drivers,
> or not. I think it did.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Patrick Schmid

I found the problem. It was the av.dll from Trillian. Ultravnc locked up my
system when Trillian loaded so I was able to figure out the issue with that,
but remote desktop works fine now also.
I renamed the dll and everything is ok now.