Andre

I am trying to connect to my desktop PC, running Windows XP Pro with Remote
Desktop activated, from my laptop (running Windows XP Home) but every attempt
fails with "The policy of this system does not allow you to logon
interactively".

I am trying to do this via a wireless router (Netgear) the 2 machines use to
share an internet connection. Te sharing of the internet connection works
fine. I have also been able to share a printer connected to the desktop via
the wireless router (can there "see" the deskptop from the laptop).

When trying to connect to the desktop, I am trying to logon as Guest. I have
activated the default Guest account on the desktop and have also added Guest
to the Remote Desktop Usergroup on the desktop as well.

Any ideas? I do seem to be able to get to the remote desktop as the logon
screen shows Windows XP Pro (I have Windows XP Home on my laptop) so it must
be something with the account settings on my desktop. Just not sure what.

Andre wrote:
> I am trying to connect to my desktop PC, running Windows XP Pro with
> Remote Desktop activated, from my laptop (running Windows XP Home)
> but every attempt fails with "The policy of this system does not
> allow you to logon interactively".
>
> I am trying to do this via a wireless router (Netgear) the 2 machines
> use to share an internet connection. Te sharing of the internet
> connection works fine. I have also been able to share a printer
> connected to the desktop via the wireless router (can there "see" the
> deskptop from the laptop).
>
> When trying to connect to the desktop, I am trying to logon as Guest.
> I have activated the default Guest account on the desktop and have
> also added Guest to the Remote Desktop Usergroup on the desktop as
> well.
>
> Any ideas? I do seem to be able to get to the remote desktop as the
> logon screen shows Windows XP Pro (I have Windows XP Home on my
> laptop) so it must be something with the account settings on my
> desktop. Just not sure what.

Don't use Guest - you should always keep that account disabled. Use a 'real'
account, and make sure it has a password. Also make sure you add this
account to the "allowed to use..." section.

Andre

I have tried this already. Created an account called "Remote" on the desktop
machine running Remote Desktop Server (Windows XP Pro) with a password. When
trying to logon from laptop, still getting the exact same error.

I have a 3rd party firewall (Zone Alarm) installed on both the laptop and
desktop machines, but even when I turn them off it still does not work so
can't imagine that it is anything to do with the firewall. I have also set up
port forwarding on the router to forward any inbound TCP traffic to the
desktop machine.

Is very frustarting as it seems to be getting to the relevant account on the
desktop but I just can't get past the logon prompt!

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

> Andre wrote:
> > I am trying to connect to my desktop PC, running Windows XP Pro with
> > Remote Desktop activated, from my laptop (running Windows XP Home)
> > but every attempt fails with "The policy of this system does not
> > allow you to logon interactively".
> >
> > I am trying to do this via a wireless router (Netgear) the 2 machines
> > use to share an internet connection. Te sharing of the internet
> > connection works fine. I have also been able to share a printer
> > connected to the desktop via the wireless router (can there "see" the
> > deskptop from the laptop).
> >
> > When trying to connect to the desktop, I am trying to logon as Guest.
> > I have activated the default Guest account on the desktop and have
> > also added Guest to the Remote Desktop Usergroup on the desktop as
> > well.
> >
> > Any ideas? I do seem to be able to get to the remote desktop as the
> > logon screen shows Windows XP Pro (I have Windows XP Home on my
> > laptop) so it must be something with the account settings on my
> > desktop. Just not sure what.
>
> Don't use Guest - you should always keep that account disabled. Use a 'real'
> account, and make sure it has a password. Also make sure you add this
> account to the "allowed to use..." section.

See this old thread for possible help...

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely/messages/2aab7c41e47464a4,d5b334a17eb15cca,6746124aee929678,8fb19719baf0f845,77ec533f69a22dbb,058708b7dec52771?hl=en&thread_id=8535109d6a1a3288&mode=thread&noheader=1&q=+local+policy+doesn%27t+permit+group:*.work_remotely&_done=%2Fgroup%2Fmicrosoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely%2Fbrowse_frm%2Fthread%2F8535109d6a1a3288%2F77ec533f69a22dbb%3Fq%3D+local+policy+doesn%27t+permit+group:*.work_remotely%26rnum%3D1%26hl%3Den%26#doc_8fb19719baf0f845

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)