Consistent audio volume between video clips

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 13, 2005 10:03:38 AM

Hi,

I have individually mixed the audio parts of several video clips
however when I joined them together the different clips have noticeable
volume differences. Is there a way to ensure that all clips in a
sequence have got the same audio volume.

Thanks in advance,
Mike
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 10:15:48 AM

<mikelupu@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have individually mixed the audio parts of several video clips
> however when I joined them together the different clips have noticeable
> volume differences. Is there a way to ensure that all clips in a
> sequence have got the same audio volume.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Mike

You didn't say what editing package you're using. Most of the good ones
have a "normalize" function, which will make clips of consistent volume.

Anonymous
April 13, 2005 1:31:00 PM

"PTRAVEL" <ptravel88-usenet@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> <mikelupu@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have individually mixed the audio parts of several video clips
>> however when I joined them together the different clips have noticeable
>> volume differences. Is there a way to ensure that all clips in a
>> sequence have got the same audio volume.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Mike
>
> You didn't say what editing package you're using. Most of the good ones
> have a "normalize" function, which will make clips of consistent volume.

Unfortunately, the"normalize" function does not in most instances cure the
problem of perceived volume in clips of dissimilar sound tracks. Some sound
clips are very 'peaky', a contentious argument for instance, while other
clips are more uniform but with distinctive tonal characteristics such as
city traffic. Simply adjusting the volume of these clips so that their
loudest contained sound reaches some set point near digital maximum will not
make them blend properly from one to the other. Normalizing may be a good
start, but individual tweaking through volume change, compression, limiting,
and/or frequency equalization is usually required to achieve a pleasing
transition from clip to clip.

I finished up the first pass of editing yesterday on a half-hour documentary
project. At the end of the day my editor and I played the project through
to get a sense of the remaining work to complete the project. We agreed
that we'll need at least a day to tweak the levels, EQ, and transition
points of just the dialogue. Now, if someone could just invent a plug-in
that will take out about six minutes of content without affecting the
story-line I'd be a happy man. Oh, and where can I find a plug-in to score
this project, something I could just tell that it is a PBS type program
about a very interesting university professor following a controversial
academic path --- play a little bonk sound when its done kind of thing?
Where can I get that?

Often the difference between an amateur effort and a professional one is the
recognition that it takes a lot of time to do each stage of the job well.
Non-professionals who are willing to invest the necessary time can produce
wonderful results. I was amused by a recent poster in another forum who
wrote of his many feature ideas and how he wanted to put together the
equipment ("I have two cameras, but I need more.") and the people to do at
least two features "this summer". Good luck.

Steve King
April 14, 2005 3:52:44 AM

I'm using Premier Pro as my NLE, and strangely enough I couldn't find a
normalize effect in the stereo audio effects.

I have tried to import some clips in Audition to normalize them there
but as I expected all the sounds in the clips were amplified including
the lots of noise there was in the clip. When I tried to reduce the
noise with noise reduction the voices had way too much reverb. I think
there must be some ordering with which to apply the various effects, is
that so? Are there any particular tweaking effects that are usually
used to improve sound, like what colour levels are in photoshop to draw
an analogy?
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 3:59:32 AM

> I'm using Premier Pro as my NLE, and strangely enough I couldn't find a
> normalize effect in the stereo audio effects.

Right click on the audio clip, select "Audio Gain" and, in the window that
opens up, click on "Normalize."
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 10:30:54 AM

"Steve King" <steve@TakeThisOutToReplysteveking.net> wrote in message
> "PTRAVEL" <ptravel88-usenet@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> <mikelupu@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have individually mixed the audio parts of several video clips
>>> however when I joined them together the different clips have noticeable
>>> volume differences. Is there a way to ensure that all clips in a
>>> sequence have got the same audio volume.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>> Mike
>>
>> You didn't say what editing package you're using. Most of the good ones
>> have a "normalize" function, which will make clips of consistent volume.
>>
> Unfortunately, the"normalize" function does not in most instances cure the
> problem of perceived volume in clips of dissimilar sound tracks. Some
> sound clips are very 'peaky', a contentious argument for instance, while
> other clips are more uniform but with distinctive tonal characteristics
> such as city traffic. Simply adjusting the volume of these clips so that
> their loudest contained sound reaches some set point near digital maximum
> will not make them blend properly from one to the other. Normalizing may
> be a good start, but individual tweaking through volume change,
> compression, limiting, and/or frequency equalization is usually required
> to achieve a pleasing transition from clip to clip.
>
> I finished up the first pass of editing yesterday on a half-hour
> documentary project. At the end of the day my editor and I played the
> project through to get a sense of the remaining work to complete the
> project. We agreed that we'll need at least a day to tweak the levels,
> EQ, and transition points of just the dialogue. Now, if someone could
> just invent a plug-in that will take out about six minutes of content
> without affecting the story-line I'd be a happy man. Oh, and where can I
> find a plug-in to score this project, something I could just tell that it
> is a PBS type program about a very interesting university professor
> following a controversial academic path --- play a little bonk sound when
> its done kind of thing? Where can I get that?
>
> Often the difference between an amateur effort and a professional one is
> the recognition that it takes a lot of time to do each stage of the job
> well. Non-professionals who are willing to invest the necessary time can
> produce wonderful results. I was amused by a recent poster in another
> forum who wrote of his many feature ideas and how he wanted to put
> together the equipment ("I have two cameras, but I need more.") and the
> people to do at least two features "this summer". Good luck.
>
> Steve King

Although I have the impression that you would look down
your nose at any software that was closer to $50 than $500;
I wonder what you may think of the extensive audio editing
abilities of the Magix Movie Edit Pro 10? It appears to
address all the audio manipulations you mentioned plus a
number of others, and that's for 36 tracks.

Luck;
Ken
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 1:07:09 PM

"Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> "Steve King" <steve@TakeThisOutToReplysteveking.net> wrote in message
>> "PTRAVEL" <ptravel88-usenet@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> <mikelupu@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> You didn't say what editing package you're using. Most of the good ones
>>> have a "normalize" function, which will make clips of consistent volume.
>>>
>> Unfortunately, the"normalize" function does not in most instances cure
>> the problem of perceived volume in clips of dissimilar sound tracks.
>> Some sound clips are very 'peaky', a contentious argument for instance,
>> while other clips are more uniform but with distinctive tonal
>> characteristics such as city traffic. Simply adjusting the volume of
>> these clips so that their loudest contained sound reaches some set point
>> near digital maximum will not make them blend properly from one to the
>> other. Normalizing may be a good start, but individual tweaking through
>> volume change, compression, limiting, and/or frequency equalization is
>> usually required to achieve a pleasing transition from clip to clip.
>>
>> I finished up the first pass of editing yesterday on a half-hour
>> documentary project. At the end of the day my editor and I played the
>> project through to get a sense of the remaining work to complete the
>> project. We agreed that we'll need at least a day to tweak the levels,
>> EQ, and transition points of just the dialogue. Now, if someone could
>> just invent a plug-in that will take out about six minutes of content
>> without affecting the story-line I'd be a happy man. Oh, and where can I
>> find a plug-in to score this project, something I could just tell that it
>> is a PBS type program about a very interesting university professor
>> following a controversial academic path --- play a little bonk sound when
>> its done kind of thing? Where can I get that?
>>
>> Often the difference between an amateur effort and a professional one is
>> the recognition that it takes a lot of time to do each stage of the job
>> well. Non-professionals who are willing to invest the necessary time can
>> produce wonderful results. I was amused by a recent poster in another
>> forum who wrote of his many feature ideas and how he wanted to put
>> together the equipment ("I have two cameras, but I need more.") and the
>> people to do at least two features "this summer". Good luck.
>>
>> Steve King
>
> Although I have the impression that you would look down
> your nose at any software that was closer to $50 than $500;
> I wonder what you may think of the extensive audio editing
> abilities of the Magix Movie Edit Pro 10? It appears to
> address all the audio manipulations you mentioned plus a
> number of others, and that's for 36 tracks.
>
> Luck;
> Ken

I'm sorry that you got the impression that I would look down on good but
inexpensive software. Dead wrong. I'm not familiar with Magix Movie Edit
Pro 10, so I can't comment on that. I do most of my own audio editing,
processing, sound effects, and music for my video productions. I could have
easily justified a purchase of a Mac and Pro Tools, when I first moved from
analogue to digital. However, someone showed me a little program called
Fast Eddie. I think it was under $50. I had my own video production shop
so I didn't have to impress outside clients. I thought it was worth a try.
I set it up alongside a friends Pro Tools and we did a little "edit off"
using the typical material I was working on at that time. When my buddy
finished our little contest, I had had time for two cups of coffee and a
couple of phone calls. No contest. Later I moved to Cool Edit--- free, but
I registered it for $60 I think in honor of the developer. For the last
decade almost I've been using the multi-track version, which is now called
Adobe Audition. I don't do much video editing myself preferring to hire
people who do it every day and are more talented than I; however, for what
little editing I do do I use Vegas 5.0, certainly not the most expensive
choice. It does everything I've asked of it and even a few things that my
outside editor's Final Cut Pro finds difficult.

The point of my earlier posting was that each audio clip typically requires
individual attention to make it fit with all the other clips in a pleasing
way and that takes time. Lots of time. I also endorse Jay's books, as
another poster suggested, for guidance in things audio.

I think I'm going to put together one of those $14 camera stabilizers (from
another thread) this weekend. Maybe I can avoid some or all of the Steady
Cam rentals -- maybe two or three per year. I'll use some of the savings to
buy you lunch next time you're in Chicago ;-)

Steve King
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 4:05:59 PM

<mikelupu@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm using Premier Pro as my NLE, and strangely enough I couldn't find a
> normalize effect in the stereo audio effects.
>
> I have tried to import some clips in Audition to normalize them there
> but as I expected all the sounds in the clips were amplified including
> the lots of noise there was in the clip. When I tried to reduce the
> noise with noise reduction the voices had way too much reverb. I think
> there must be some ordering with which to apply the various effects, is
> that so? Are there any particular tweaking effects that are usually
> used to improve sound, like what colour levels are in photoshop to draw
> an analogy?

There is very much an order to editing sound. In short do everything else
before raising the volume.

But, rather than go into a complicated (and 20 odd year long) repose on how,
when, where, and why to edit audio, I'll point you to the best resources I
have: Jay Rose and RAMPS.

For books on the subject of pre-production and post-production sound go to
www.dplay.com .
For a discussion that will probably make your head spin go to
rec.arts.movies.production.sound.

Hope these help.
Tom P.
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 4:48:22 PM

> I'm sorry that you got the impression that I would look down on good but
> inexpensive software. Dead wrong. I'm not familiar with Magix Movie Edit
> Pro 10, so I can't comment on that. I do most of my own audio editing,
> processing, sound effects, and music for my video productions. I could
> have easily justified a purchase of a Mac and Pro Tools, when I first
> moved from analogue to digital. However, someone showed me a little
> program called Fast Eddie. I think it was under $50. I had my own video
> production shop so I didn't have to impress outside clients. I thought it
> was worth a try. I set it up alongside a friends Pro Tools and we did a
> little "edit off" using the typical material I was working on at that
> time. When my buddy finished our little contest, I had had time for two
> cups of coffee and a couple of phone calls. No contest. Later I moved to
> Cool Edit--- free, but I registered it for $60 I think in honor of the
> developer. For the last decade almost I've been using the multi-track
> version, which is now called Adobe Audition. I don't do much video
> editing myself preferring to hire people who do it every day and are more
> talented than I; however, for what little editing I do do I use Vegas 5.0,
> certainly not the most expensive choice. It does everything I've asked of
> it and even a few things that my outside editor's Final Cut Pro finds
> difficult.
>
> The point of my earlier posting was that each audio clip typically
> requires individual attention to make it fit with all the other clips in a
> pleasing way and that takes time. Lots of time. I also endorse Jay's
> books, as another poster suggested, for guidance in things audio.
>
> I think I'm going to put together one of those $14 camera stabilizers
> (from another thread) this weekend. Maybe I can avoid some or all of the
> Steady Cam rentals -- maybe two or three per year. I'll use some of the
> savings to buy you lunch next time you're in Chicago ;-)
>
> Steve King

Maybe you could spend the lunch money on a copy of
Magix "Video Deluxe 2.0 Plus" ( I was able to get a copy
for $9.95, there are listings on the Froogle part of Google
in the $15 range most of the time) ; it has most of the
audio features in the newer releases. They look impressive
too me but I'm not proficient enough in the use of such tools
to give them a good evaluation.

I think there is a demo of the "Movie Edit 2004" that you
can download, it most likely has the same audio features.
www.magix.com

Luck;
Ken
!