Go with Standard AA or proprietary battery?

I have been narrowing down the cameras I'm looking at but most of the
cheaper cameras use standard AA NiMH batteries. Are these good to go
with or should I go with the more proprietary lithium batteries? I
know they cost more but though they may last much longer.
7 answers Last reply
More about standard proprietary battery

    On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 03:01:22 -0700, MarkW
    <markwco@RemoveNoSpamcomcast.net> wrote:

    >I have been narrowing down the cameras I'm looking at but most of the
    >cheaper cameras use standard AA NiMH batteries. Are these good to go
    >with or should I go with the more proprietary lithium batteries? I
    >know they cost more but though they may last much longer.

    With my (2MP) Canon PowerShot A60 powered by 2000mAh NIMHs made by
    Hähnel I could take 130-150 pictures before changing to the spare
    set, and that's with the LCD on most of the time. And if the (3MP)
    A70 still leads in number of shots possible over at DPreview (see
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canona70/page9.asp at the bottom)
    for an compact/ultracompact I have not checked!

    What goes against the lithium batteries is the cost of a spare (or
    you could just charge it before every trip...) - while good (and
    high-powered) NiMHs are available for not that much money from sites
    like http://www.thomas-distributing.com/ and last very long in
    digital cameras. Higher number usually means more pictures!

    I would go to the cameras section of http://dcviews.com/ and locate
    reviews of the different cameras you have decided to 'keep in the
    race' and see if any single review site have compared battery life.

    MarkW wrote:
    > I have been narrowing down the cameras I'm looking at but most of the
    > cheaper cameras use standard AA NiMH batteries. Are these good to go
    > with or should I go with the more proprietary lithium batteries? I
    > know they cost more but though they may last much longer.

    Not anymore... nowadays they last as long as Lithium's...like in new Canon
    S2 i can make over 500 shots with one NiMH pack. It's just...if you want
    small and lighter camera, go with Lithiums. But having AA can be advantage,
    like if you have a dead NiMH, you can always go any buy alkaline set in any
    store, while if having dead Lithium you can just observe and feel sorry
    since you can't shoot...

    "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
    > MarkW wrote:
    > > I have been narrowing down the cameras I'm looking at but most of
    the
    > > cheaper cameras use standard AA NiMH batteries. Are these good to
    go
    > > with or should I go with the more proprietary lithium batteries? I
    > > know they cost more but though they may last much longer.
    >
    > Not anymore... nowadays they last as long as Lithium's...like in new
    Canon
    > S2 i can make over 500 shots with one NiMH pack. It's just...if you
    want
    > small and lighter camera, go with Lithiums. But having AA can be
    advantage,
    > like if you have a dead NiMH, you can always go any buy alkaline set
    in any
    > store, while if having dead Lithium you can just observe and feel
    sorry
    > since you can't shoot...

    What bothers me is the high cost of lithium batteries if you wanted to
    buy an extra. I am in Toronto, Canada and the prices of cameras,
    especially new ones, are a lot more expensive than in the US, though
    some older cameras eventually drop in price and are more comparable and
    some are even cheaper, depending on the camera of course, but you have
    to wait a while till the prices come down. Maybe lithium batteries are
    fairly cheap in the US but they are VERY expensive here.
    The ones I've seen are around $70.00 Can. - approx. $58.00 US. I've been
    looking around for a point and shoot camera for a few months, and when I
    look around at battery prices, there is not much selection of lithiums
    and only for certain cameras. AA's are available everywhere, and MUCH
    cheaper. The one good thing about lithium batteries is they make the
    camera lighter to carry around than with AA's, but for the high price of
    lithiums, along with difficulty finding them, it doesn't seem worth it.

    Kath

    On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 18:08:45 -0400, "Kath" <not@nothing.com> wrote:

    >What bothers me is the high cost of lithium batteries if you wanted to
    >buy an extra. I am in Toronto, Canada and the prices of cameras,
    >especially new ones, are a lot more expensive than in the US, though
    >some older cameras eventually drop in price and are more comparable and
    >some are even cheaper, depending on the camera of course, but you have
    >to wait a while till the prices come down. Maybe lithium batteries are
    >fairly cheap in the US but they are VERY expensive here.

    I thought the same thing after reading the reviews all the time. I was
    actually afraid to buy any cams with non-standard batteries. But I
    actually ended up getting a cam the last few weeks since the newest
    version of the model which replaced the older version doesnt use AAs
    anymore.

    I couldnt believe the improvement. Sure I can still see the point
    people make about using standard AAs in a pinch for emergencies. THe
    problem though is standard AAs run out just like that. I remember my
    Toshiba cam I had my first digicam. I was taking pics and my
    rechargeables ran out . I bought some AAs. Besides having to buy them
    at the local high priced convenience store at a ridiculously high
    price they died in no time even compared to my low rated 1100 mAh
    rechargeables. Terrible cost to pics taken ratio.

    The other thing is whenever I take pics now I end up planning anyway.
    So I recharge several sets of batteries before I go etc. Im almost
    always prepared anyway if I take my semiserious cams with me. So what
    might be a good idea is have a cheapo 100-200 pocket cam P&S that uses
    AAs if you want to take that casual pic on a whim. in an impromtu
    moment. However any other time Im pretty prepared so it doesnt matter
    if it uses AAs or not for me.

    Then there are the benefits. I was amazed at the new version of the
    cam I bought that used a lithium ion battery that was rechargeble. Not
    only did it come with battery and charger the older version didnt so
    it ended up costing me the same anyway vs the older version where I
    had to buy a charger and several sets of batteries. But the lithium
    battery lasted much much longer - of course thats compared to my 1100
    mAhs and you can buy 2000 mAhs now. But I only had to handle one
    small wafer battery when its used up to put another on in vs carrying
    and handling 8-12 AAs in your bag and taking them out and puttign them
    in a way bigger hassle. Plus it only took 2 hrs to charge . Once again
    sure you can buy 15min-2 hr AA chargers too now but the 15 min
    batteries cost more last time I looked. The small battery also made
    the camera way lighter and they made the body smaller because of this
    too. The AAs in fact probably add most of the weight to the camera.
    And the cost --- there are lots of generics floating around now. Sure
    most are junk. Ive seen lith ion rechargeables all over the place now
    - generics on Ebay and other online stores for $2-3 !!!! And for the
    expensive cams $10 ! Most of these are JUNK and I would stay away from
    them. However at places like Thomas Distrib which is a reputable place
    often cited - they sell replacements for the battery I have lith ion
    rechargeable for around $18 and Ive seen the same brand for as low as
    15. So overall Im very happy and surprised . I really thought I would
    hate the liths because of the common reason mentioned which I also
    used to say.

    In fact I just bought another high end P&S with a lith ion battery
    too.

    Around Xmas Im going to get a DSLR with lith ion. Hopefully the Canon
    Rebel XT.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    "John@Smith.com" <xxxxspud@newscene.com> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 18:08:45 -0400, "Kath" <not@nothing.com> wrote:
    >

    > >What bothers me is the high cost of lithium batteries if you wanted
    > >buy an extra. I am in Toronto, Canada and the prices of cameras,
    > >especially new ones, are a lot more expensive than in the US, though
    > >some older cameras eventually drop in price and are more comparable
    and
    > >some are even cheaper, depending on the camera of course, but you
    have
    > >to wait a while till the prices come down. Maybe lithium batteries
    are
    > >fairly cheap in the US but they are VERY expensive here.
    >
    > I thought the same thing after reading the reviews all the time. I was
    > actually afraid to buy any cams with non-standard batteries. But I
    > actually ended up getting a cam the last few weeks since the newest
    > version of the model which replaced the older version doesnt use AAs
    > anymore.

    <snip>

    I guess you are in the US?

    > most are junk. Ive seen lith ion rechargeables all over the place now
    > - generics on Ebay and other online stores for $2-3 !!!! And for the
    > expensive cams $10 ! Most of these are JUNK and I would stay away from
    > them. However at places like Thomas Distrib which is a reputable place
    > often cited - they sell replacements for the battery I have lith ion
    > rechargeable for around $18 and Ive seen the same brand for as low as
    > 15. So overall Im very happy and surprised . I really thought I would
    > hate the liths because of the common reason mentioned which I also
    > used to say.

    Thats OK if you can find the lithium ion batteries easily such as Thomas
    Distrib, which we don't have here, but I have never seen any lith ion
    batteries for around $18.00 in any store here in Toronto and I don't go
    much on Ebay. As I said, more like $58.00 US and some are more. Even if
    I decided to get a camera with lith ion and was prepared to pay the high
    cost of an extra lith ion, or had to get a replacement lith ion, finding
    one could be a bigger problem than the cost. We have Best Buy, Future
    Shop (owned by Best Buy) who are the main chain stores to get batteries,
    and I look at the digital camera batteries to see how much they cost,
    and they never have much selection. In the US you have more selection
    and more stores to choose from than we do. I was just presenting a
    different point of view from some of us newsgroup readers who do not
    live in the US .

    Kath
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    In article <2q23h1l8cgfmqe5sidg2n438pdh8nri5pv@4ax.com>,
    markwco@RemoveNoSpamcomcast.net (MarkW) wrote:

    > Are these good to go with or should I go with the more
    > proprietary lithium batteries?

    I run a Canon S1 IS with 4x2300mAh NiMH AAs and they last a *long* time.
    I'm very impressed. The camera even powers up and takes shots after
    sitting for a few weeks on the shelf (though I wouldn't want to rely on
    that, obviously).

    I always carry a spare set when I'm out, but I usually fill my 1Gb CF
    card before the batteries run out. I'm now contemplating buying a
    Panasonic FZ30, but to be honest the cost of spare batteries is what
    puts me off most. AAs are very flexible in most of my electronics kit
    and I'd like to stick to that format if possible.

    Andrew McP
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    "Andrew MacPherson" <andrew.mcp@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
    > In article <2q23h1l8cgfmqe5sidg2n438pdh8nri5pv@4ax.com>,
    > markwco@RemoveNoSpamcomcast.net (MarkW) wrote:
    >
    >> Are these good to go with or should I go with the more
    >> proprietary lithium batteries?
    >
    > I run a Canon S1 IS with 4x2300mAh NiMH AAs and they last a *long* time.
    > I'm very impressed. The camera even powers up and takes shots after
    > sitting for a few weeks on the shelf (though I wouldn't want to rely on
    > that, obviously).
    >
    > I always carry a spare set when I'm out, but I usually fill my 1Gb CF
    > card before the batteries run out. I'm now contemplating buying a
    > Panasonic FZ30, but to be honest the cost of spare batteries is what
    > puts me off most. AAs are very flexible in most of my electronics kit
    > and I'd like to stick to that format if possible.
    >
    > Andrew McP

    I have based my buying decision as to my last two digital cameras in part on
    the camera's ability to use AA batteries. If nothing else, for the peace of
    mind that I could get spares pretty much anywhere in the world if needed (I
    travel to some out-of-the-way places). I already use rechargeable AAs in my
    handheld GPS, and used rechargeable AAAs in my handheld, so this was a high
    priority for me.

    My current Olympus uses disposable AA, rechargeable NiMH AA, and also
    disposable CRV3 lithium cells. The CRV3 cells are especially nice if you
    don't use the camera frequently--good capacity and long shelf life.

Cameras Battery Peripherals