Slow access to offline files

I have encountered a problem with offline files on two different
notebooks (different servers as well). In both instances I set up
offline files and got access to files when not connected to the
network. The problem started when the user takes his notebook home and
then tries to access the files while offline. It is so slow that it
realy takes 5 minutes to open a 10kB file. If you copy the file from
the offline server (\\server\share) and paste it to the desktop it
works fine and access to the file is perfect. When the notebook is
back on the network access is perfect to the files on the server.

Both notebooks are Centrino (>1.5GHz, 512MB, 60GB) using 10/100 NIC and
both run XP SP2. One got Norton Antivirus 2005 other Bitdefender
Antivirus Ver8
Is there a setting I missed that could slow down access to the files
when offline. Perhaps something in the firewall?
I feel like a idiot because I cannot find anything on TechNet or
Googlegroups.

HELP PLEASE!

Hi,

I am having the same problem. It looks like BitDefender in my case
if trying to access the file via the network. This not only slows
access to the file, but explorer becomes unresponsive as well for the
duration.

If I disable BitDefender then everything seems to work fine. I am
currently pursuing it through BitDefnder technical support.

Regards,

- Bruce.

I have also found a "work-around" by excluding the networked location
from being scanned by the shield I managed to speed things back up to
normal. I am still waiting on a answer from Bitdefender for a proper
solution on this one.

Regards

Dirk

I have exactly the same problem on one of my PC's. I am using Windows XP
Pro on the client and the server and the problems seemed to start when I
installed SP2.

If I try to open a file in an application such as Word or a text editor
it can take several minutes to open the file when off-line, but it does
usually get there eventually. However, I can copy the file to a local
directory and it will copy immediately. I can then open the file and
edit it without any delay.

I have Norton Antivirus 2004 installed but disabling it doesn't make
any difference.

It seems to be a bug in Windows XP but I can't find a way around it.

--
Paul SkirrowPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access