Old DVD-ROM drives cannot read burned disks?

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

Is it true that many old (2 yrs) DVD-ROM drives cannot read burned DVD
disks? Is there a way to fix this?

thanks
15 answers Last reply
More about drives read burned disks
  1. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

    Burn your discs at a lower speed for a better quality. Sometimes your
    old drive can then read it.
  2. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

    On 13 Apr 2005 22:58:01 -0700, "Anthony" <amartin@whoever.com> wrote:

    >Is it true that many old (2 yrs) DVD-ROM drives cannot read burned DVD
    >disks? Is there a way to fix this?
    >
    >thanks

    Old ones might have trouble with some disks. Update the firmware for
    that model.
  3. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

    Somewhere around 13 Apr 2005 22:58:01 -0700, while reading
    alt.video.dvd.tech, I think I thought I saw this post from "Anthony"
    <amartin@whoever.com>:

    >Is it true that many old (2 yrs) DVD-ROM drives cannot read burned DVD
    >disks? Is there a way to fix this?

    Could be - I know there were combo drives that could not read burned CDs.
    Marty - mjf at leftcoast-usa.com
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...
    well, I have others." - Groucho Marx
  4. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

    "Marty" <this.address@is.invalid> wrote in message
    > Somewhere around 13 Apr 2005 22:58:01 -0700, while reading
    > alt.video.dvd.tech, I think I thought I saw this post from "Anthony"
    > <amartin@whoever.com>:
    >
    > >Is it true that many old (2 yrs) DVD-ROM drives cannot read burned DVD
    > >disks? Is there a way to fix this?
    > >
    > Could be - I know there were combo drives that could not read burned CDs.

    2 years is too new. I have a double speed drive from way back when - before
    burners - that can read a CDR OK, but not a CDRW.
  5. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

    In article <1113458281.278995.196050@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    "Anthony" <amartin@whoever.com> wrote:

    >Is it true that many old (2 yrs) DVD-ROM drives cannot read burned DVD
    >disks? Is there a way to fix this?

    You'll probably have better luck with -R/+R than with -RW/+RW.

    Oh, and the official name for CDs and DVDs is "discs", not "disks".
  6. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

    > Oh, and the official name for CDs and DVDs is "discs", not "disks".

    At http://dictionary.com both words are listed as correct:
    http://snipurl.com/e392
  7. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

    In ref: 1113850756.611681.152070@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com

    Anthony <amartin@whoever.com> wrote:

    >> Oh, and the official name for CDs and DVDs is "discs", not
    >> "disks".
    >
    > At http://dictionary.com both words are listed as correct:
    > http://snipurl.com/e392

    This page
    http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=compact%20disk, a link
    (or linc??) from your second reference gives a nice history of
    usage of the C word vs. the K word.

    Apparently the optical media is called a disk. However, if the
    CD or DVD contains audio or video it is a disc. If it contains
    computer data, then it's a disk. Nothing is mentioned about
    it's proper name when housing the complete written works of
    Shakespeare ;-0)

    BJ
  8. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

    On 4/18/2005, Billy Joe managed to type:
    > In ref: 1113850756.611681.152070@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com
    >
    > Anthony <amartin@whoever.com> wrote:
    >
    >>> Oh, and the official name for CDs and DVDs is "discs", not
    >>> "disks".
    >>
    >> At http://dictionary.com both words are listed as correct:
    >> http://snipurl.com/e392
    >
    > This page http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=compact%20disk, a link (or
    > linc??) from your second reference gives a nice history of usage of the C
    > word vs. the K word.
    >
    > Apparently the optical media is called a disk. However, if the CD or DVD
    > contains audio or video it is a disc. If it contains computer data, then
    > it's a disk. Nothing is mentioned about it's proper name when housing the
    > complete written works of Shakespeare ;-0)
    >
    > BJ

    "The Complete Works of William Shakespeare on Compact Disck"

    Ouch.

    --
    Gene E. Bloch (Gino)
    letters617blochg3251

    In ref: mn.93f27d548b71638c.1980@nobody.invalid

    Gene E. Bloch <spamfree@nobody.invalid> wrote:

    > "The Complete Works of William Shakespeare on Compact Disck"
    >
    > Ouch.

    Well "Hamlet," in English at gutenberg.org, is 75kB in plain
    text zipped (only 188kB unzipped). "Julius Caesar" or "Macbeth"
    each a tad more than half that size.

    3,700 or more copies of Hamlet ought to about cover everything
    Willie ever wrote, no?

    Looking over my shoulder, the hard-covered complete and
    unabridged comedies and tragedies with footnotes are a mere four
    smallish volumes. OK, yes, it's the 1944 Random House edition,
    but I was very young when I bought it used ;-0)

    BJ
  10. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

    "Anthony" <amartin@whoever.com> wrote in message

    > > Oh, and the official name for CDs and DVDs is "discs", not "disks".
    >
    > At http://dictionary.com both words are listed as correct:
    > http://snipurl.com/e392

    What's the matter with "round plastic thingies" ???
  11. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

    > Oh, and the official name for CDs and DVDs is "discs", not "disks".

    who gives a rats ass, spelling-bitch teacher, i think all who read the
    post knows what "disk" means. uppity-bitch people like you make me wanna
    puke.
  12. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

    > Oh, and the official name for CDs and DVDs is "discs", not "disks".

    who gives a rats ass, spelling-bitch teacher, i think all who read the
    post knows what "disk" means. uppity-bitch people like you make me wanna
    puke.
  13. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

    > Oh, and the official name for CDs and DVDs is "discs", not "disks".

    who gives a rats ass, spelling-bitch teacher, i think all who read the
    post knows what "disk" means. uppity-bitch people like you make me wanna
    puke.
  14. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

    > Oh, and the official name for CDs and DVDs is "discs", not "disks".

    who gives a rats ass, spelling-bitch teacher, i think all who read the
    post knows what "disk" means. uppity-bitch people like you make me wanna
    puke.
  15. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

    "Blinko Glioba" <Blinko@fish.net> wrote in message
    >> Oh, and the official name for CDs and DVDs is "discs", not "disks".
    >
    > who gives a rats ass, spelling-bitch teacher, i think all who read the
    > post knows what "disk" means. uppity-bitch people like you make me wanna
    > puke.

    Can you explain why you chose to announce your pride in
    misspelling "disc" 4 times?

    David

Tuner Cards Desktops Video DVD Drives Graphics