Old DVD-ROM drives cannot read burned disks?

Tags:
  • Tuner Cards
  • Desktops
  • Video
  • DVD Drives
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
April 14, 2005 2:58:01 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

Is it true that many old (2 yrs) DVD-ROM drives cannot read burned DVD
disks? Is there a way to fix this?

thanks

More about : dvd rom drives read burned disks

Anonymous
April 14, 2005 7:01:32 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

Burn your discs at a lower speed for a better quality. Sometimes your
old drive can then read it.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 12:12:04 AM

On 13 Apr 2005 22:58:01 -0700, "Anthony" <amartin@whoever.com> wrote:

>Is it true that many old (2 yrs) DVD-ROM drives cannot read burned DVD
>disks? Is there a way to fix this?
>
>thanks

Old ones might have trouble with some disks. Update the firmware for
that model.
Related resources
April 15, 2005 3:19:14 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

Somewhere around 13 Apr 2005 22:58:01 -0700, while reading
alt.video.dvd.tech, I think I thought I saw this post from "Anthony"
<amartin@whoever.com>:

>Is it true that many old (2 yrs) DVD-ROM drives cannot read burned DVD
>disks? Is there a way to fix this?

Could be - I know there were combo drives that could not read burned CDs.
Marty - mjf at leftcoast-usa.com
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...
well, I have others." - Groucho Marx
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 5:47:37 AM

"Marty" <this.address@is.invalid> wrote in message
> Somewhere around 13 Apr 2005 22:58:01 -0700, while reading
> alt.video.dvd.tech, I think I thought I saw this post from "Anthony"
> <amartin@whoever.com>:
>
> >Is it true that many old (2 yrs) DVD-ROM drives cannot read burned DVD
> >disks? Is there a way to fix this?
> >
> Could be - I know there were combo drives that could not read burned CDs.

2 years is too new. I have a double speed drive from way back when - before
burners - that can read a CDR OK, but not a CDRW.
April 17, 2005 2:06:34 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

In article <1113458281.278995.196050@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
"Anthony" <amartin@whoever.com> wrote:

>Is it true that many old (2 yrs) DVD-ROM drives cannot read burned DVD
>disks? Is there a way to fix this?

You'll probably have better luck with -R/+R than with -RW/+RW.

Oh, and the official name for CDs and DVDs is "discs", not "disks".
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 5:35:39 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

In ref: 1113850756.611681.152070@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com

Anthony <amartin@whoever.com> wrote:

>> Oh, and the official name for CDs and DVDs is "discs", not
>> "disks".
>
> At http://dictionary.com both words are listed as correct:
> http://snipurl.com/e392

This page
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=compact%20disk, a link
(or linc??) from your second reference gives a nice history of
usage of the C word vs. the K word.

Apparently the optical media is called a disk. However, if the
CD or DVD contains audio or video it is a disc. If it contains
computer data, then it's a disk. Nothing is mentioned about
it's proper name when housing the complete written works of
Shakespeare ;-0)

BJ
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 8:50:25 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

On 4/18/2005, Billy Joe managed to type:
> In ref: 1113850756.611681.152070@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com
>
> Anthony <amartin@whoever.com> wrote:
>
>>> Oh, and the official name for CDs and DVDs is "discs", not
>>> "disks".
>>
>> At http://dictionary.com both words are listed as correct:
>> http://snipurl.com/e392
>
> This page http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=compact%20disk, a link (or
> linc??) from your second reference gives a nice history of usage of the C
> word vs. the K word.
>
> Apparently the optical media is called a disk. However, if the CD or DVD
> contains audio or video it is a disc. If it contains computer data, then
> it's a disk. Nothing is mentioned about it's proper name when housing the
> complete written works of Shakespeare ;-0)
>
> BJ

"The Complete Works of William Shakespeare on Compact Disck"

Ouch.

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino)
letters617blochg3251

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

In ref: mn.93f27d548b71638c.1980@nobody.invalid

Gene E. Bloch <spamfree@nobody.invalid> wrote:

> "The Complete Works of William Shakespeare on Compact Disck"
>
> Ouch.

Well "Hamlet," in English at gutenberg.org, is 75kB in plain
text zipped (only 188kB unzipped). "Julius Caesar" or "Macbeth"
each a tad more than half that size.

3,700 or more copies of Hamlet ought to about cover everything
Willie ever wrote, no?

Looking over my shoulder, the hard-covered complete and
unabridged comedies and tragedies with footnotes are a mere four
smallish volumes. OK, yes, it's the 1944 Random House edition,
but I was very young when I bought it used ;-0)

BJ
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 10:13:17 PM

"Anthony" <amartin@whoever.com> wrote in message

> > Oh, and the official name for CDs and DVDs is "discs", not "disks".
>
> At http://dictionary.com both words are listed as correct:
> http://snipurl.com/e392

What's the matter with "round plastic thingies" ???
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 10:21:56 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

> Oh, and the official name for CDs and DVDs is "discs", not "disks".

who gives a rats ass, spelling-bitch teacher, i think all who read the
post knows what "disk" means. uppity-bitch people like you make me wanna
puke.
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 10:21:56 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

> Oh, and the official name for CDs and DVDs is "discs", not "disks".

who gives a rats ass, spelling-bitch teacher, i think all who read the
post knows what "disk" means. uppity-bitch people like you make me wanna
puke.
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 10:21:56 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

> Oh, and the official name for CDs and DVDs is "discs", not "disks".

who gives a rats ass, spelling-bitch teacher, i think all who read the
post knows what "disk" means. uppity-bitch people like you make me wanna
puke.
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 10:21:56 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

> Oh, and the official name for CDs and DVDs is "discs", not "disks".

who gives a rats ass, spelling-bitch teacher, i think all who read the
post knows what "disk" means. uppity-bitch people like you make me wanna
puke.
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 10:21:57 PM

"Blinko Glioba" <Blinko@fish.net> wrote in message
>> Oh, and the official name for CDs and DVDs is "discs", not "disks".
>
> who gives a rats ass, spelling-bitch teacher, i think all who read the
> post knows what "disk" means. uppity-bitch people like you make me wanna
> puke.

Can you explain why you chose to announce your pride in
misspelling "disc" 4 times?

David
!