RD behind two routers

I am very much a rookie at this. I have been searching everywhere for
information for connecting via RD and VPN. Our office building has a T1
routed via wired Linksys Router throughout the building. I recently added a
wireless router a D-Link 624 that I had available. I can access everything
from the building both via RD and VPN. I can ping all ips (default gateways
of the Linksys and the D-Link and the host computer). The problem is
accessing the the host from outside the office (at home for example) I can
cannot ping anything and assume that the problem lies first in getting past
the initial router. I have opened ports on the host to 3389 and forwarded
both the Linksys and the D-link to the ip of the host. I believe this is
where the problem is (the forwarding from one router to the next and finally
to the host.) I read something about bridging one of the routers. Not
certain whether this is possible with my DI-624 and if it is how do I do it.

This link was helpful but didn't entire help me.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/russel_05Feb.mspx

The Linksys Default gateway is xx.x.0.1
The D-Link WAN is on the same sequence xx.x.0.100
The Router gateway default is xxx.168.0.1 (a different ip sequence)
And finally the Host computer is xxx.168.0.101

I have the D-link WAN forwarding to the host on port 3389. I'm trying to
access the Host via the VPN or RD via D-link routers WAN address xx.x.0.100.

Apologize for the long message. Hope somebody here can make some sense of
it and show me where I'm going wrong.

Thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about routers

    You would need to forward TCP Port 3389 through the Linksys router (your office networks front end
    to the public internet) to the private static LAN IP of the D-Link router. You would also need to
    forward TCP Port 3389 through the D-Link router to the private LAN IP of the PC your trying to
    connect to using Remote Desktop. From a remote location call using the public IP address (as
    assigned by your office ISP) of the Linksys router.

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "LLD" <LLD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am very much a rookie at this. I have been searching everywhere for
    > information for connecting via RD and VPN. Our office building has a T1
    > routed via wired Linksys Router throughout the building. I recently added a
    > wireless router a D-Link 624 that I had available. I can access everything
    > from the building both via RD and VPN. I can ping all ips (default gateways
    > of the Linksys and the D-Link and the host computer). The problem is
    > accessing the the host from outside the office (at home for example) I can
    > cannot ping anything and assume that the problem lies first in getting past
    > the initial router. I have opened ports on the host to 3389 and forwarded
    > both the Linksys and the D-link to the ip of the host. I believe this is
    > where the problem is (the forwarding from one router to the next and finally
    > to the host.) I read something about bridging one of the routers. Not
    > certain whether this is possible with my DI-624 and if it is how do I do it.
    >
    > This link was helpful but didn't entire help me.
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/russel_05Feb.mspx
    >
    > The Linksys Default gateway is xx.x.0.1
    > The D-Link WAN is on the same sequence xx.x.0.100
    > The Router gateway default is xxx.168.0.1 (a different ip sequence)
    > And finally the Host computer is xxx.168.0.101
    >
    > I have the D-link WAN forwarding to the host on port 3389. I'm trying to
    > access the Host via the VPN or RD via D-link routers WAN address xx.x.0.100.
    >
    > Apologize for the long message. Hope somebody here can make some sense of
    > it and show me where I'm going wrong.
    >
    > Thanks

    Thanks Al,

    I may be a step closer however I brought up the Linksys router and the
    forward option only lists i.p.s of the same sequence. I can not change the
    fixed ranges XX.X.X.--- only the last three charaters can be modified.
    Static Routing is another option. Would I use this function? It appears
    there I can select a Static Routing from 1 to 20. and LAN IP, Subnet Mask and
    Default gateway. It also asks for a hop count and finally the interface of
    which LAN is an option. (if I were to do this would I fill in all fields
    with my D-link routers info?

    Thanks again

    "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

    > You would need to forward TCP Port 3389 through the Linksys router (your office networks front end
    > to the public internet) to the private static LAN IP of the D-Link router. You would also need to
    > forward TCP Port 3389 through the D-Link router to the private LAN IP of the PC your trying to
    > connect to using Remote Desktop. From a remote location call using the public IP address (as
    > assigned by your office ISP) of the Linksys router.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > "LLD" <LLD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I am very much a rookie at this. I have been searching everywhere for
    > > information for connecting via RD and VPN. Our office building has a T1
    > > routed via wired Linksys Router throughout the building. I recently added a
    > > wireless router a D-Link 624 that I had available. I can access everything
    > > from the building both via RD and VPN. I can ping all ips (default gateways
    > > of the Linksys and the D-Link and the host computer). The problem is
    > > accessing the the host from outside the office (at home for example) I can
    > > cannot ping anything and assume that the problem lies first in getting past
    > > the initial router. I have opened ports on the host to 3389 and forwarded
    > > both the Linksys and the D-link to the ip of the host. I believe this is
    > > where the problem is (the forwarding from one router to the next and finally
    > > to the host.) I read something about bridging one of the routers. Not
    > > certain whether this is possible with my DI-624 and if it is how do I do it.
    > >
    > > This link was helpful but didn't entire help me.
    > >
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/russel_05Feb.mspx
    > >
    > > The Linksys Default gateway is xx.x.0.1
    > > The D-Link WAN is on the same sequence xx.x.0.100
    > > The Router gateway default is xxx.168.0.1 (a different ip sequence)
    > > And finally the Host computer is xxx.168.0.101
    > >
    > > I have the D-link WAN forwarding to the host on port 3389. I'm trying to
    > > access the Host via the VPN or RD via D-link routers WAN address xx.x.0.100.
    > >
    > > Apologize for the long message. Hope somebody here can make some sense of
    > > it and show me where I'm going wrong.
    > >
    > > Thanks

    You would need to change the D-Link address to match your Linksys address range...

    --

    > Thanks Al,
    >
    > I may be a step closer however I brought up the Linksys router and the
    > forward option only lists i.p.s of the same sequence. I can not change the
    > fixed ranges XX.X.X.--- only the last three charaters can be modified.
    > Static Routing is another option. Would I use this function? It appears
    > there I can select a Static Routing from 1 to 20. and LAN IP, Subnet Mask and
    > Default gateway. It also asks for a hop count and finally the interface of
    > which LAN is an option. (if I were to do this would I fill in all fields
    > with my D-link routers info?
    >
    > Thanks again
    >

    > "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> You would need to forward TCP Port 3389 through the Linksys router (your office networks front
    >> end
    >> to the public internet) to the private static LAN IP of the D-Link router. You would also need to
    >> forward TCP Port 3389 through the D-Link router to the private LAN IP of the PC your trying to
    >> connect to using Remote Desktop. From a remote location call using the public IP address (as
    >> assigned by your office ISP) of the Linksys router.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    >> "LLD" <LLD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I am very much a rookie at this. I have been searching everywhere for
    >> > information for connecting via RD and VPN. Our office building has a T1
    >> > routed via wired Linksys Router throughout the building. I recently added a
    >> > wireless router a D-Link 624 that I had available. I can access everything
    >> > from the building both via RD and VPN. I can ping all ips (default gateways
    >> > of the Linksys and the D-Link and the host computer). The problem is
    >> > accessing the the host from outside the office (at home for example) I can
    >> > cannot ping anything and assume that the problem lies first in getting past
    >> > the initial router. I have opened ports on the host to 3389 and forwarded
    >> > both the Linksys and the D-link to the ip of the host. I believe this is
    >> > where the problem is (the forwarding from one router to the next and finally
    >> > to the host.) I read something about bridging one of the routers. Not
    >> > certain whether this is possible with my DI-624 and if it is how do I do it.
    >> >
    >> > This link was helpful but didn't entire help me.
    >> >
    >> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/russel_05Feb.mspx
    >> >
    >> > The Linksys Default gateway is xx.x.0.1
    >> > The D-Link WAN is on the same sequence xx.x.0.100
    >> > The Router gateway default is xxx.168.0.1 (a different ip sequence)
    >> > And finally the Host computer is xxx.168.0.101
    >> >
    >> > I have the D-link WAN forwarding to the host on port 3389. I'm trying to
    >> > access the Host via the VPN or RD via D-link routers WAN address xx.x.0.100.
    >> >
    >> > Apologize for the long message. Hope somebody here can make some sense of
    >> > it and show me where I'm going wrong.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks

    I changed the the i.p of the D-link. That went smoothly. I have full
    internet connectivity and I can access the host via RD and VPN but I have to
    go directly to the ip of the host. Now I can't see the main office building
    Linksys. (I can not ping it nor call in with VPN or RD) I previously was
    able to access the main ip of the office building and use the routers admin
    site. None of this functions. I feel like things are closer but I'm still
    not there. Any other thoughts?

    I rechecked the port and that the D-link router was forwarding to the
    correct host i.p. Before changing the address of the D-link I verified that
    the linksys was forwarded to the correct LAN ip of the D-link. Is this
    something I would only be able to access remotely and not within the network
    while in the building? Or is there something else in the Linksys router that
    would need to be configured?

    Thanks so much again.

    Brad

    "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

    > You would need to change the D-Link address to match your Linksys address range...
    >
    > --
    >
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > "LLD" <LLD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks Al,
    > >
    > > I may be a step closer however I brought up the Linksys router and the
    > > forward option only lists i.p.s of the same sequence. I can not change the
    > > fixed ranges XX.X.X.--- only the last three charaters can be modified.
    > > Static Routing is another option. Would I use this function? It appears
    > > there I can select a Static Routing from 1 to 20. and LAN IP, Subnet Mask and
    > > Default gateway. It also asks for a hop count and finally the interface of
    > > which LAN is an option. (if I were to do this would I fill in all fields
    > > with my D-link routers info?
    > >
    > > Thanks again
    > >

    > > "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:
    > >
    > >> You would need to forward TCP Port 3389 through the Linksys router (your office networks front
    > >> end
    > >> to the public internet) to the private static LAN IP of the D-Link router. You would also need to
    > >> forward TCP Port 3389 through the D-Link router to the private LAN IP of the PC your trying to
    > >> connect to using Remote Desktop. From a remote location call using the public IP address (as
    > >> assigned by your office ISP) of the Linksys router.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >>
    > >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
    > >>
    > >> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
    > >> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    > >> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights...
    > >>

    > >> "LLD" <LLD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    I am still trying to access host PC.

    I believe I have corrected a few problems. Here is my current configurations.

    Linksys BEFVP41 VPN router Main Office Building LAN IP XX.X.X.1 and WAN ip
    64.123.XX.2 (which have used as public call in)

    Main Office Building forwarded to XX.X.X.106 Port 3389
    D-Link DI 624 LAN IP XX.X.X.106 forwarded to port of HOST PC XX.X.X.105:3389
    Host PC Private LAN XX.X.X.105

    I'm trying to call in VPN from public WAN IP of main office. I have tried
    several ways including 64.123.XX.2 and 64.123.XX.2:3389 and 64.123.XX.2:1723

    I can while in the network dial from Notebook to Host PC with VPN by
    entering XX.X.X.105 directly. Connects instantly.

    Always receive Error 800. with any other dial in ip.

    Port is open in XP security in both ports 3389 and 1723 for Local Area
    Connection and 1394 Connection.

    I have the connected main office to LAN port of D-link. (previously had it
    hooked up to WAN port) I have also since applied static IP to Host PC and
    D-link that are both in XX.X.X.100-200 range per Office building sequence.

    Any more help would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks

Routers D-Link Windows XP