Resizing Video to fit Screen (DVD)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
April 14, 2005 10:22:29 AM

Hey All. I'm having some problem encoding a video to properly fit on my
TV Screen. The original file is an OGM, and with Gspot, I see it as
576X432. Using AVI2DVD and doing all the math to verify, I come up with
an AVISynth script of:

DirectShowSource("video.OGM",23.976,true,false,true)
ConvertToYV12()
LanczosResize(720,480,0.0,0.6)
AddBorders(0,0,0,0)

I then use this to encode the vid with QuEnc. When I import the video
file into DVDLab Pro, it forces me to enable 2:3 pulldown, and then
everything seems to work great. When I play the resulting DVD files on
my computer, it looks perfect, but then when I burn it to a DVD, and
play it on my TV, the top and bottom of the picture go off screen. If
anyone could help me out as to why it is doing this, or what I can do
to fix it (aside from trial and error), it would be MUCH appreciated.

My software specs are as follows:
AVISynth 2.5
QUEnc 0.59
DVDLab Pro 1.0
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 7:27:34 PM

On 14 Apr 2005 06:22:29 -0700, "Vic" <inmshoes@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hey All. I'm having some problem encoding a video to properly fit on my
>TV Screen. The original file is an OGM, and with Gspot, I see it as
>576X432. Using AVI2DVD and doing all the math to verify, I come up with
>an AVISynth script of:
>
>DirectShowSource("video.OGM",23.976,true,false,true)
>ConvertToYV12()
>LanczosResize(720,480,0.0,0.6)
>AddBorders(0,0,0,0)
>
>I then use this to encode the vid with QuEnc. When I import the video
>file into DVDLab Pro, it forces me to enable 2:3 pulldown, and then
>everything seems to work great. When I play the resulting DVD files on
>my computer, it looks perfect, but then when I burn it to a DVD, and
>play it on my TV, the top and bottom of the picture go off screen. If
>anyone could help me out as to why it is doing this, or what I can do
>to fix it (aside from trial and error), it would be MUCH appreciated.

How much of the top and bottom go off the screen? It sounds
to me like you're running into the standard overscan you run into with
nearly all TV sets. If you wish to avoid it, just slap a bord around
the original image and then encode that. It'll have a black frame
when plyed on the computer, but all the image should show up on the
TV.

I'd try out an AVISynth script like this:

DirectShowSource("video.OGM",23.976,true,false,true)
#The convert toYV12 seems redundant to me,
#since AVISynth handles video in the YV12 colorspace by default
ConvertToYV12()
AddBorders(30,30,30,30)
LanczosResize(720,480,0.0,0.6)

If the picture is still dropping off the edge of the screen,
try a wider border.
Neil Nadelman arvy@navzr-genafyngbe.pbz (ROT13)
I have no fears in life,
for I have already survived Theta-G!
April 15, 2005 8:29:48 AM

Yeah, the amount that it goes off screen, now that I think about it,
would probably be accounted for by overscan. I'll give the borders a
try and post the results. Thanks for the reply!
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 2:24:45 AM

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 15:27:34 -0400, Neil Nadelman
<arvy@navzr-genafyngbe.pbz (ROT13)> wrote:

>On 14 Apr 2005 06:22:29 -0700, "Vic" <inmshoes@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Hey All. I'm having some problem encoding a video to properly fit on my
>>TV Screen. The original file is an OGM, and with Gspot, I see it as
>>576X432. Using AVI2DVD and doing all the math to verify, I come up with
>>an AVISynth script of:
>>
>>DirectShowSource("video.OGM",23.976,true,false,true)
>>ConvertToYV12()
>>LanczosResize(720,480,0.0,0.6)
>>AddBorders(0,0,0,0)
>>
>>I then use this to encode the vid with QuEnc. When I import the video
>>file into DVDLab Pro, it forces me to enable 2:3 pulldown, and then
>>everything seems to work great. When I play the resulting DVD files on
>>my computer, it looks perfect, but then when I burn it to a DVD, and
>>play it on my TV, the top and bottom of the picture go off screen. If
>>anyone could help me out as to why it is doing this, or what I can do
>>to fix it (aside from trial and error), it would be MUCH appreciated.

> How much of the top and bottom go off the screen? It sounds
>to me like you're running into the standard overscan you run into with
>nearly all TV sets.

Looks like that.

>If you wish to avoid it, just slap a bord around
>the original image and then encode that. It'll have a black frame
>when plyed on the computer, but all the image should show up on the
>TV.

I would do it thus: the OGM is 576X432. The overscan is aprox. 10%,
which applied to 480 means 48 pixels. 480 - 48 = 432. Wow! So it would
be enough if we add borders above and below, 24 pixels each. Thus we
get a height of 480, without losing anything from the overscan. Then
we let the encoder do its job, which for Tmgpenc would be "Keep aspect
ratio" (I don't know what the equivalent would be for QuEnc).
!