Senator

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2005

I have scanned many topics and this seems to be the best place to ask this
question….. I have two laptops, both running XP Home and I want to provide
“Remote Assistance� to another user. I have reviewed the documentation on the
PC regarding Remote Assistance as well as several articles on the Microsoft
web site regarding the use and functionality. I am trying to invoke “taking
control of the remote PC’s keyboard and mouse�. I have verified the proper
settings in the Control Panel, but do not understand how to allow the “taking
control�. All I am able to accomplish is “screen view only� functionality. I
thought that the answer might be that I, as the person providing the
assistance, needed to have XP Pro, but nothing I’ve read explicitly says
that. Any help would be appreciated.

On Tue, 3 May 2005 11:37:09 -0700, "Senator"
<Senator@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have scanned many topics and this seems to be the best place to ask this
>question….. I have two laptops, both running XP Home and I want to provide
>"Remote Assistance� to another user. I have reviewed the documentation on the
>PC regarding Remote Assistance as well as several articles on the Microsoft
>web site regarding the use and functionality. I am trying to invoke "taking
>control of the remote PC's keyboard and mouse�. I have verified the proper
>settings in the Control Panel, but do not understand how to allow the "taking
>control�. All I am able to accomplish is "screen view only� functionality. I
>thought that the answer might be that I, as the person providing the
>assistance, needed to have XP Pro, but nothing I've read explicitly says
>that. Any help would be appreciated.
The remote user is in View only mode UNTIL:
1) they click the "Take Control" menu item.
2) The host user Allows this by answering the question in the dialog
box that pops up.

, _
, | \ MKA: Steve Urbach
, | )erek No JUNK in my email please
, ____|_/ragonsclaw dragonsclawJUNK@JUNKmindspring.com
, / / / Running United Devices "Cure For Cancer" Project 24/7 Have you helped? http://www.grid.org

"Senator" <Senator@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have scanned many topics and this seems to be the best place to ask this
> question... I have two laptops, both running XP Home and I want to provide
> "Remote Assistance" to another user. I have reviewed the documentation on
> the
> PC regarding Remote Assistance as well as several articles on the
> Microsoft
> web site regarding the use and functionality. I am trying to invoke
> "taking
> control of the remote PC's keyboard and mouse". I have verified the proper
> settings in the Control Panel, but do not understand how to allow the
> "taking
> control". All I am able to accomplish is "screen view only" functionality.
> thought that the answer might be that I, as the person providing the
> assistance, needed to have XP Pro, but nothing I've read explicitly says
> that. Any help would be appreciated.

You need to initiate taking control. I've done this recently, but it isn't
easy for me to bring up the UI to describe it accurately.

There is a small white-lettered link, as I recall--you need to click this,
and the person at the other end must ssent to your taking control.