Broken Olympus c4000z

Recently, my lovable Olympus c4000z lens fell off. Kinda weird yes, but it
happened. I was wondering if anyone knew an approx price it would cost to
send off to Olympus or whomever.

Also, moreso is anyone interested in purchasing the camera for parts or to
fix it themselves?

"MrRx" <misterrx@nospam.chemist.nospam.com> wrote in message
> Recently, my lovable Olympus c4000z lens fell off. Kinda weird yes, but
> it happened. I was wondering if anyone knew an approx price it would cost
> to send off to Olympus or whomever.
>
> Also, moreso is anyone interested in purchasing the camera for parts or to
> fix it themselves?

I have read in this NG $150 for various repairs on Olympus, but you really
have to ask Olympus support.
http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_support.asp

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 12:03:35 -0400, "MrRx"
<misterrx@nospam.chemist.nospam.com> wrote:

>Recently, my lovable Olympus c4000z lens fell off. Kinda weird yes, but it
>happened. I was wondering if anyone knew an approx price it would cost to
>send off to Olympus or whomever.
>
>Also, moreso is anyone interested in purchasing the camera for parts or to
>fix it themselves?

If you want to sell it for parts try Ebay. I havent seen too many
parts cameras nowadays though. When Digicams used to be really
expensive 2 years or so ago I used to see a lot of them but not
recently since they are so cheap now.

There are several places I found on the net that fix Oly digicams.
Ive had quotes around 115 - 150 with Oly being the higher end.
Obviously you know they have the parts though and know what they are
doing if you send it to them. Theyll give you a rough est with the
caution that it could be higher if they find anything else that needs
fixing you didnt mention. Go to their website and write them an
email.

If its 150-200 frankly I think you should buy another one. Considering
something else may break .

The only downside is it probably uses smart media which is outdated so
if you buy a new cam - OLY uses XD cards so youll have to get them and
many of the new cams use their own lith ion battery so to get a spare
youll need another battery. All that adds to the cost so its not
quite as cheap as you might think at first to upgrade though cams are
going for so cheap during sales.

Example -

Oly 765 10x --- $210 Staples was clearing them out. They are probably
all lone gone.

Oly 7070 - 7 meg 4x optical and wide angle much better than the 4000
$310-315 at Dell all gone

You can find the 5060-7070 which are similar but the former is 5 meg -
both around the $350-380 range online. It comes with battery and
charger I think. YOull need a XD card usually around $35 or so for a
256 meg. I bought two for around that price. Some people say the 5060
has a problem though - some mode dial problem where it breaks or
doesnt work properly and some other problems. Its supposed to be fixed
on the 7070.

Of course theres the Canons , Sonys etc good cams all around $200-350.
Dell was selling the Sony W-7 5 meg for around $359 and were a lot of
other places.

I asked in general and I figure the same about $200 just to look at it not
counting the fixable items. It may be worth it someways. If I had the
extended warranty still or was on any warranty I would send it back just to
have them send me a new version similar to that one they no longer make.

Thanks for the estimate. I did write Olympus Support, but over a week later
I have not gotten a response.

MrRx

"John@Smith.com" <xxxxspud@newscene.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 12:03:35 -0400, "MrRx"
> <misterrx@nospam.chemist.nospam.com> wrote:
>
>>Recently, my lovable Olympus c4000z lens fell off. Kinda weird yes, but
>>it
>>happened. I was wondering if anyone knew an approx price it would cost to
>>send off to Olympus or whomever.
>>
>>Also, moreso is anyone interested in purchasing the camera for parts or to
>>fix it themselves?
>
> If you want to sell it for parts try Ebay. I havent seen too many
> parts cameras nowadays though. When Digicams used to be really
> expensive 2 years or so ago I used to see a lot of them but not
> recently since they are so cheap now.
>
> There are several places I found on the net that fix Oly digicams.
> Ive had quotes around 115 - 150 with Oly being the higher end.
> Obviously you know they have the parts though and know what they are
> doing if you send it to them. Theyll give you a rough est with the
> caution that it could be higher if they find anything else that needs
> fixing you didnt mention. Go to their website and write them an
> email.
>
> If its 150-200 frankly I think you should buy another one. Considering
> something else may break .
>
> The only downside is it probably uses smart media which is outdated so
> if you buy a new cam - OLY uses XD cards so youll have to get them and
> many of the new cams use their own lith ion battery so to get a spare
> youll need another battery. All that adds to the cost so its not
> quite as cheap as you might think at first to upgrade though cams are
> going for so cheap during sales.
>
> Example -
>
> Oly 765 10x --- $210 Staples was clearing them out. They are probably
> all lone gone.
>
> Oly 7070 - 7 meg 4x optical and wide angle much better than the 4000
> $310-315 at Dell all gone
>
> You can find the 5060-7070 which are similar but the former is 5 meg -
> both around the $350-380 range online. It comes with battery and
> charger I think. YOull need a XD card usually around $35 or so for a
> 256 meg. I bought two for around that price. Some people say the 5060
> has a problem though - some mode dial problem where it breaks or
> doesnt work properly and some other problems. Its supposed to be fixed
> on the 7070.
>
> Of course theres the Canons , Sonys etc good cams all around $200-350.
> Dell was selling the Sony W-7 5 meg for around $359 and were a lot of
> other places.

I decided to go for gusto and purchased my new favorite Cannon 350D Rebel XT
dSLR camera. I know it was not cost effective and was way out of my budget,
but after some hefty research I figured I would just do it and "
suffer" the budget defeat. I still would love the Olympus to be fixed
depending on cost to give to family or keep and use on outdoor projects that
the other camera may be too "delicate for".

I had 6 or 7 Smart Media cards of course and now they are wasted and I see
no necessity to try to sell them since Ebay has better prices on brand new
ones. I can always use them like a USB Flash Drive and carry my card reader
if necessary to bring files somewhere.

Thanks again for your comments.

--
MrRx

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 20:56:22 -0400, "MrRx"
<misterrx@nospam.chemist.nospam.com> wrote:

>I decided to go for gusto and purchased my new favorite Cannon 350D Rebel XT
>dSLR camera. I know it was not cost effective and was way out of my budget,
>but after some hefty research I figured I would just do it and "
>suffer" the budget defeat. I still would love the Olympus to be fixed
>depending on cost to give to family or keep and use on outdoor projects that
>the other camera may be too "delicate for".

Ooooh Thats what I want ! Im waiting for a KILLER deal on a Rebel
350XT and a good lens super super low. Sometime around Nov and Dec I
want a deal for both around $500 .

I just bought two more cams and I want the Rebel as my big purchase
but only in the $500s or so.

Email to Olympus never works.
None of the big companies will answer email that is unsolicited. They
consider it SPAM.

You must use the telephone and talk to a service rep. There are toll free
numbers on the web site in Contacts.
http://www.olympusamerica.com/oai_contactus.asp

This link lists the phone number for Digital Camera support.
http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_consumercontact.asp

There are links to email but do not expect a reply.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com
>I asked in general and I figure the same about $200 just to look at it not
>counting the fixable items. It may be worth it someways. If I had the
>extended warranty still or was on any warranty I would send it back just to
>have them send me a new version similar to that one they no longer make.
>
> Thanks for the estimate. I did write Olympus Support, but over a week
> later I have not gotten a response.
>
> MrRx
>

> "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message
>> "MrRx" <misterrx@nospam.chemist.nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> Recently, my lovable Olympus c4000z lens fell off. Kinda weird yes, but
>>> it happened. I was wondering if anyone knew an approx price it would
>>> cost to send off to Olympus or whomever.
>>>
>>> Also, moreso is anyone interested in purchasing the camera for parts or
>>> to fix it themselves?
>>>
>> I have read in this NG $150 for various repairs on Olympus, but you
>> really have to ask Olympus support.
>> http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_support.asp
>>

>> --
>> CSM1
>> http://www.carlmcmillan.com
>> --

I actually received a reply today. I asked 2 more questions in replies and
was answered within 1/2 hour time.
The first email basically was,

"We value you as an Olympus customer and appreciate the opportunity to
assist you with this situation.

I am sorry to hear that you are having problems with your Olympus product
but we will work with you to resolve this situation. Based on the
description of the problem that you provided, I believe that the product
will require service by a repair technician. If you would like to send your
product in for repair and it is no longer under warranty, the pre-approved
cost of repair for your C-4000 is $191.00 plus local tax."

The second email I questions any extra fees and here is reply.
"Olympus uses a flat-rate method for repair charges. The flat-rate for a
particular model is determined by the average actual cost of all repairs of
that model. This is a typically a fair and reasonable method of determining
repair cost. In fact, most consumer electronics manufacturers (including
most digital camera manufacturers) utilize a flat-rate repair cost.
The other method of repair charging would be a time-and-material system. We
would basically have to repair the camera in order to determine what parts
and time would be required for repair. There are a number of reasons why
this method is not feasible for most Olympus product repair and we believe
it would be to the customer's disadvantage to use this type of system."

> [...]

cost of repair for your C-4000 is $191.00 plus local tax."

The second email I questions any extra fees and here is reply.
"Olympus uses a flat-rate method for repair charges. The flat-rate for a
particular model is determined by the average actual cost of all repairs of
that model. This is a typically a fair and reasonable method of determining
repair cost. In fact, most consumer electronics manufacturers (including
most digital camera manufacturers) utilize a flat-rate repair cost.
The other method of repair charging would be a time-and-material system. We
would basically have to repair the camera in order to determine what parts
and time would be required for repair. There are a number of reasons why
this method is not feasible for most Olympus product repair and we believe
it would be to the customer's disadvantage to use this type of system."

Very good!
The price has gone up, I think it used to be $150.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com