wireless desktop suggestions/cautions?

Hi folks. I am wanting to rearrange our office and would like to install a
wireless network card in our desktop. We have a router and wireless laptop,
which works fine (excpet for some NIS/dynamic IP issues), and I am hoping it
will be the same with our desktop. Does anyone have any advice for me? I
am guessing that since my router is about 2 years old that it wont matter so
much which network card I get. Am I wrong? Any advice for setup? Am I
nuts? Does this pose security hazards? Other info you might or might not
find pertinent: we just got digital telephone so our setup is cable modem,
digital phone adapter, and then router.

Thanks!
Deborah

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Hi
Buy a Wireless card that is compatible with your current Wireless
Desktop computer can be fit with PCI Wireless Card, or USB Wireless Card.
Technology wise PCI card is probably slightly better then the USB.
However Wireless is depending on signal propagation.
For Desktop (or tower case) USB Wireless Client Card should be considered as
a solution.
PCI Wireless Client Card ends up been stuck behind the computer's case and
the wall, resultant in obstructed transmission and poor performance. USB is
connected to the Port with 2-3' cable allowing the Antenna to be placed
above the System for better Transmission.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Deborah Harper" <debbliz@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Hi folks. I am wanting to rearrange our office and would like to install
> wireless network card in our desktop. We have a router and wireless
laptop,
> which works fine (excpet for some NIS/dynamic IP issues), and I am hoping
it
> will be the same with our desktop. Does anyone have any advice for me? I
> am guessing that since my router is about 2 years old that it wont matter
so
> much which network card I get. Am I wrong? Any advice for setup? Am I
> nuts? Does this pose security hazards? Other info you might or might not
> find pertinent: we just got digital telephone so our setup is cable
modem,
> digital phone adapter, and then router.
>
> Thanks!
> Deborah

TW

Distinguished
May 1, 2004

Two year old router in computer years is ancient. You need to know if it is
802.11a or b. G and super G were not around two years ago.
Two totally different approaches to wireless networking. This makes a big
difference. Also I would stick with products from the same manufacturer to
help with compatibility.

"Deborah Harper" <debbliz@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Hi folks. I am wanting to rearrange our office and would like to install
> wireless network card in our desktop. We have a router and wireless
> laptop,
> which works fine (excpet for some NIS/dynamic IP issues), and I am hoping
> it
> will be the same with our desktop. Does anyone have any advice for me? I
> am guessing that since my router is about 2 years old that it wont matter
> so
> much which network card I get. Am I wrong? Any advice for setup? Am I
> nuts? Does this pose security hazards? Other info you might or might not
> find pertinent: we just got digital telephone so our setup is cable
> modem,
> digital phone adapter, and then router.
>
> Thanks!
> Deborah

Okay, thanks. I know that our router is 802.11b, by SMC.

thanks,
Deborah

"TW" <twilckenATmsnDOTcom> wrote in message
> Two year old router in computer years is ancient. You need to know if it
is
> 802.11a or b. G and super G were not around two years ago.
> Two totally different approaches to wireless networking. This makes a big
> difference. Also I would stick with products from the same manufacturer to
> help with compatibility.
>
> "Deborah Harper" <debbliz@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > Hi folks. I am wanting to rearrange our office and would like to
install
> > wireless network card in our desktop. We have a router and wireless
> > laptop,
> > which works fine (excpet for some NIS/dynamic IP issues), and I am
hoping
> > it
> > will be the same with our desktop. Does anyone have any advice for me?
> > am guessing that since my router is about 2 years old that it wont
matter
> > so
> > much which network card I get. Am I wrong? Any advice for setup? Am I
> > nuts? Does this pose security hazards? Other info you might or might
not
> > find pertinent: we just got digital telephone so our setup is cable
> > modem,
> > digital phone adapter, and then router.
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Deborah

Okay, thank you. I wondered about this. My desktop tower will be tucked
inside a cabinet on our computer desk. At this point though we do plan to
have the desktop in the same room as the router, so hopefully transmission
wont be too much of an issue, even through the desk. Unfortunately, we only
have 2 USB port on this beast, and both are on the backside. I suppose that
is okay though. We can probably thread the cable out the back to expose and
direct the antenna well enough. And we can probably manage to share the
other USB port between our printer and other peripherals we use on occasion.

thanks again,
Deborah