Pinnacle Studio AV vs. Pass-Through on Low-End Canon mini-DV

Hi, I've converted a few VHS tapes to AVI25 via the pass-through on my
Canon. I have to say the quality is pretty good.

Today at Fry's, I see they have this "Pinnacle Studio AV/DV9" pci
capture card for $89-20 (rebate), and comes with full version of studio
9 (which I don't need, but certain;y wouldn't mind having a copy of)

Here's the advantages I see to switching my VHS conversion method:

1)won't have to setup my mini DV for this, just plug vcr into computer,
less hassle

2) the card has one firewire port builT into it, which i can always
use.

3) I can possibly capture straight to mpeg2 and save a step (is this
right?)

4) Possibly better quality A/D conversion?

any comments?

Thanks,

STRATEGY

Da Choppa wrote:
> Hi, I've converted a few VHS tapes to AVI25 via the pass-through on my
> Canon. I have to say the quality is pretty good.
>
> Today at Fry's, I see they have this "Pinnacle Studio AV/DV9" pci
> capture card for $89-20 (rebate), and comes with full version of
> studio 9 (which I don't need, but certain;y wouldn't mind having a
> copy of)
>
> Here's the advantages I see to switching my VHS conversion method:
>
> 1)won't have to setup my mini DV for this, just plug vcr into
> computer, less hassle
>
> 2) the card has one firewire port builT into it, which i can always
> use.
>
> 3) I can possibly capture straight to mpeg2 and save a step (is this
> right?)
>
> 4) Possibly better quality A/D conversion?
>

> any comments?
>

> Thanks,
>
> STRATEGY

Don't capture to MPEG, capture to DV and do a software convert using a
better encoder like CCE or TMPGEnc.

--
I am 3 of 10. Prepare to be assimilated.

Commentator wrote:
> Da Choppa wrote:
> > Hi, I've converted a few VHS tapes to AVI25 via the pass-through on
my
> > Canon. I have to say the quality is pretty good.
> >
> > Today at Fry's, I see they have this "Pinnacle Studio AV/DV9" pci
> > capture card for $89-20 (rebate), and comes with full version of
> > studio 9 (which I don't need, but certain;y wouldn't mind having a
> > copy of)
> >
> > Here's the advantages I see to switching my VHS conversion method:
> >
> > 1)won't have to setup my mini DV for this, just plug vcr into
> > computer, less hassle
> >
> > 2) the card has one firewire port builT into it, which i can always
> > use.
> >
> > 3) I can possibly capture straight to mpeg2 and save a step (is
this
> > right?)
> >
> > 4) Possibly better quality A/D conversion?
> >

> > any comments?
> >

> > Thanks,
> >
> > STRATEGY
>
> Don't capture to MPEG, capture to DV and do a software convert using
> better encoder like CCE or TMPGEnc.
>
> --
> I am 3 of 10. Prepare to be assimilated.

Thanks.

so any comments on "Pinnacle Studio AV vs. Pass-Through on Low-End
Canon mini-DV" ??

thanks in advance

STRATEGY