Can I user Remote Console/assistance over my LAN at home?

I have 7 PC's linked over a mainly wireless system with a cable modem to the
internet. My family are in there teens and do many assignments on the PC.
They are always calling down to help them when I am on MY PC. Can I set this
up to work over my LAN? If so, how? A white page will be great. All my
searching keeps talking about using VPN's and such but do I need that on a
private network?
3 answers Last reply
More about user remote console assistance home

    Ferdy wrote:
    > I have 7 PC's linked over a mainly wireless system with a cable modem
    > to the internet. My family are in there teens and do many
    > assignments on the PC. They are always calling down to help them when
    > I am on MY PC. Can I set this up to work over my LAN? If so, how?
    > A white page will be great. All my searching keeps talking about
    > using VPN's and such but do I need that on a private network?

    Assuming you have a cable mode router that is connected to your ISP and all
    other machines are behind that router and getting their IP from said
    router - then this is no problem. You have a few choices.

    If they all have Windows XP (Professional or Home Edition) - then you could
    use "Remote Assistance"..

    1) Create a share on your main PC (yours) that everyone can save on. Then
    they can create a file and save it on this share when they need to get help
    from you. You double-click and they get asked if they want to let you see
    what they are doing.
    2) Sign up for an MSN account (free) and use MSN messenger - chances are
    they already do - and have them add you to their lists. Then they can chat
    with you live and send you a remote assistance invite when they need help.
    3) Assuming they have email on each system (using a client - not web mail) -
    then they could email you an invitation. Same thing as before.

    Or you could install something like "UltraVNC" (this would be your only
    choice if they all do not have Windows XP) and even set it up to ask if they
    want to allow you access (for privacy reasons.)

    Remote Assistance is your best bet, in my opinion...

    HOW TO: Enable Remote Assistance in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305608

    Overview of Remote Assistance in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300546

    HOW TO: Obtain Remote Assistance Using Windows Messenger in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306556

    Otherwise..

    UltraVNC
    http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/

    --
    --
    The information above is intended to assist you; however, it is
    suggested you research for yourself before you take any advice - you

    On Thu, 5 May 2005 14:06:08 -0700, "Ferdy"
    <Ferdy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I have 7 PC's linked over a mainly wireless system with a cable modem to the
    >internet. My family are in there teens and do many assignments on the PC.
    >They are always calling down to help them when I am on MY PC. Can I set this
    >up to work over my LAN? If so, how? A white page will be great. All my
    >searching keeps talking about using VPN's and such but do I need that on a
    >private network?
    Simple answer is YES to either RDC or Remote Assistance.
    RDC is only available on XPpro Hosts.
    Just have 'those upstairs' e-mail you a request for assistnce. NO VPN
    needed since you are on you LAN behind a router.

    , _
    , | \ MKA: Steve Urbach
    , | )erek No JUNK in my email please
    , ____|_/ragonsclaw dragonsclawJUNK@JUNKmindspring.com
    , / / / Running United Devices "Cure For Cancer" Project 24/7 Have you helped? http://www.grid.org

    See this page for help with this issue...

    http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteAssistance/RemoteAssistance.html

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "Ferdy" <Ferdy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have 7 PC's linked over a mainly wireless system with a cable modem to the
    > internet. My family are in there teens and do many assignments on the PC.
    > They are always calling down to help them when I am on MY PC. Can I set this
    > up to work over my LAN? If so, how? A white page will be great. All my
    > searching keeps talking about using VPN's and such but do I need that on a
    > private network?

Windows XP