Vid Editing software for laptop

Joe

Hi, New to this group.
I am going to buy a new laptop, with a P4 1.5+ processor, 1gig RAM,
USB, firewire, 32MB video card, etc.
I am wondering if apps like Pinnacle Studio will run on this system?
or should I forget about it and buy a Powerbook with Imovie?

Thanks! this is a serious enquiry.

joe wrote:
> Hi, New to this group.
> I am going to buy a new laptop, with a P4 1.5+ processor, 1gig RAM,
> USB, firewire, 32MB video card, etc.
> I am wondering if apps like Pinnacle Studio will run on this system?
> or should I forget about it and buy a Powerbook with Imovie?
>
> Thanks! this is a serious enquiry.

Have a look at Vegas Movie Studio+DVD. $100 or less and it'll do just fine
on your system (and be better than Pinnacle as well). Details and a trial
download at http://tinyurl.com/5457k

Mike

When you say a "new" system at 1.5GHz, I assume that's a "Mobile" P4
variant? (basically the ones where 2.0GHz is similar performance to a P4HT
at 3.2GHz) OK - that's cool.

The new Mobile Pentiums have WAY more efficient architecture drawing
something ridiculous like a quarter the power of the P4HT and having better
throughput at lower clock speeds. It's not a speed issue - it's battery
life. I get an hour, tops with my fire breathing waffle-iron of a notebook.
Fast, it is. You'd probably get 3 or 4 from your new notebook just because
the CPU draws so much less power.

So to answer your question, yes, a modern Pentium 4 (or M) notebook should
be just fine for NLE. One caveat: ensure the hard drive is a 5400rpm model
(or if you can live with only 60gigs of internal drive, there's a 7200rpm
2.5" notebook drive)
I replaced the 4200rpm internal that shipped with my notebook with the
5400rpm version. The 4200 won't keep up with a DV25 video transfer (eg:
firewire transfer from a camera). The 5400 does. (these are 80giggers -
Fujitsu MHT2080's)

FYI, I use Premiere Pro on my notebook for Standard Definition NLE work. I
don't own a desktop anymore. It keeps up the NLE desktop workstation is used
to have around the office.

Use whatever application you're comfortable with or have experience with
unless it's limiting you somehow.

C.